People hate Sylvanas, but love Vegeta

Didn’t Vegeta commit genocide himself before coming to Earth? Blowing up that bug planet and who know what other planets while serving Frieza? Did he not slaughter a whole Namekian Village to get their Dragonball? And since he wasn’t part of Frieza’s army, that village didn’t get restored along with the rest of the Namekians. And of course, when he became a Majin, he killed those spectators just to provoke Goku to fight him. But people love Vegeta despite all the blood he spilt. I wonder why…

There is also Buu, who killed Kais, whole worlds, and even brought the human race to near extinction along with blowing up the planet, but Goku decides to wish him back as a good guy.

In short, if Sylvanas is deemed irredeemable, then so is Vegeta and Buu.

3 Likes

You forgot the androids

12 Likes

I don’t watch DBZ very much (very little) but I think the main problem is vegeta has a lot of story to back up his character arc. Plus, even today while he doesn’t go murdering anymore he’s still the same guy.

She does not. We know very very little about Sylvanas or her motives in shadowlands mostly because she won’t tell us.

35 Likes

He booped that one lady and knocked her up, so all is forgiven.

2 Likes

Are you asserting that the people who have a problem with Sylvanas are also the same people that don’t have a problem with Vegeta? How do you know the wow playerbase doesn’t generally despise Vegeta?

23 Likes

We were with those characters the entire way. We got to experience everything they did.

Sylvannas is just like, “my goals are beyond your understanding” and barely any in game context is given.

55 Likes

Also Vegeta at least makes up for it with scenes like this

31 Likes

Here’s the thing, Vegeta had an extremely long road to redemption. Newsflash: It involved his death as well as his son coming from the future and telling everyone he was actually a good guy.

As far as Majin Vegeta - he was mind-controlled. He drank the Kool-aid because he was jealous of Goku, and that mistake haunted him for some time (he also died again).

As far as Buu, Goku is an idiot who would and has doomed the universe for a good fight. He’s literally the catalyst for the destruction of reality in another timeline all because he inspired bloodlust within a god. Using Buu’s resurrection as a sign of redemption… lol. It’s very much considered a mistake in many ways. Buu agitated Beerus for instance when things were going well. Granted, Beerus threatening to destroy Earth helped Goku unlock his god powers, but at the same time, Beerus taking Goku with him is what caused almost every major crisis in Super (drawing the attention of Zeno, inspiring bloodlust in Zamasu).

30 Likes

Bug planet was anime filler. We have no idea how many, or if any, planets he blew up. The dragonball super manga discusses how the Namekians feel about Vegeta, and his own feelings about it.

Blowing up the spectators was bad, but between wishing them back to life, and his sacrifice to kill Buu (tried anyway), Vegeta was redeemed/is on the path of redemption.

Kid Buu was killed and reincarnated into a good person. I don’t know why you brought him up. Do you want to kill and reincarnate Sylvanas?

4 Likes

Problem being…

Vegeta was written better, and has only gotten better over the years.

He started off as a violent prick. Then he got his butt handed to him, and chose to train to try to beat Goku. He then through his rivalry with Goku, fell in love with Bulma (thought he wouldn’t admit it to anyone verbally because thats his character type but showed it when Beerus hit her) had 2 kids, became a good, if not at least better father than Goku. He even went so far as to realize his short comings, gave Goku his energy and in the end showed he had immense growth. He has fought to save the earth against 3 or 4 major baddies, and in the Manga is there for the universe, on top of also fighting for the universe in the tournament.

Sylvanas…has had none of that. No redeeming arc of getting her butt handed to her, no rivalry that causes her to train and eventually warm up to someone and having a family (yeah dead, can’t have kids I get that but could adopt, etc) and after making the biggest Nelf BBQ in the planets history…what has she done? She has served the big bad wanting to destroy everything, make us all slaves to his will. She has done nothing to warrant a redemption.

48 Likes

So you’re saying Sylvanas needs to get someone pregnant?

4 Likes

These other comments have said it way better than I could, but my over all point was Sylvanas can’t become a Vegeta because Sylvanas doesn’t get enough screen time for them to make it not bad. And I don’t think they could in an MMO.

All these good points about Vegeta and when it comes to Sylvanas it’s mostly

11 Likes

It’s a difference in writing, and motivation. It’s not even super comparable, since Vegeta also went from bad guy to good guy, very briefly back to bad guy (for the sake of pride), and then back to good guy again by the end of that arc. Sylvanas however has gone from relatively good, if unwilling at times, to full blown, “damn the world, the universe, and all its inhabitants because I was wronged at one point in time.” We know Vegeta’s motivations, flawed as they may be because that’s his character. We still don’t really know Sylvanas’ full motivations, and at this point she has a lot to live up to/answer for to justify what’s happened and it all seems extremely unlikely.

Vegeta and Sylvanas are only comparable in that they have somewhat antagonistic personalities, but their reasons for those antagonizing traits aren’t really similar.

Trying to relate Sylvanas to Uub (Buu’s human reincarnation) is even further off base.

I think I saw this one som… nevermind.

4 Likes

This is why redemption plots for (major) villains don’t work… most of the time they make no sense. Granted Buu is rather the opposite of Sylvanas’ process, she had the better half of herself ripped out and the other half gained sentience and rampaged then years later got the better half reinserted recently, Buu had the worst parts of himself split from him and manifested as it’s own sentient entity and then said evil half got destroyed leaving only the better half.

In Sylvanas’ case the better half didn’t destroy the part of her that committed the atrocities, simply re-amalgamated with it to form her whole soul, she still not only has the memories of committing every atrocity but short of her new conscious would probably also do it again… Vegeta is a somewhat better comparison because Majin Vegeta wasn’t entirely mind controlled, manipulated yes, but not mind controlled, but the big difference between Vegeta and Sylvanas is WHERE they stand in redemption arcs… Vegeta is well on his way to redemption, Sylvanas is just now to the point where she can start paying for her crimes and reform… reformation through redemption is a slow process that doesn’t happen overnight…

2 Likes

Plus we’ve literally already seen how Blizzard handles arcs for characters who are beyond hope of redemption. Turning them into a space angel as if that wipes the slate clean. Watch Sylvanas turn into a Valkyr or some garbage and become the Arbiter and somehow that “redeems” all the horrible stuff she’s done. They’re already forcing Tyrande to drink the “forgiveness” juice. It’s actually insane.

Honestly, if I were a conspiracy nut, I would look at some of the insane stuff Blizzard has been doing the last several years, and how Blizzard is forcing the “forgive others no matter what” narrative on us, as if we’re supposed to forgive them for their Cosby Suite nonsense. Although I would say even that would be too clever for Danuser, its more likely just hack writing.

9 Likes

That’s the part I hate! Especially hate it when it’s like “oh this is like this because of this now to make it work!” Now the lore is all weirder than before and changed to make some new narrative make sense. lol :joy:

I actually don’t mind slyvanas as a character! But her story is nothing but her standing there twirling her mustache as we have no idea why she keeps doing these things and what are we even fighting for? We just fighting slyvanas cuz she bad but we don’t understand what she wants lol.

They literally just passed this horrible mantle over to Zovaal. Sylvanas is “whole” again I guess and now Zovaal has some plans to do something with somethings.

3 Likes

And Piccolo, Pilaf Gang, Oolong, Tien/Chiaotzu, Yamcha/Puar, Beerus, and technially Frieza for a bit.
So many villains turned good in Dragon Ball.

3 Likes

I don’t love Vegeta, I hate Vegeta. I’m sick of being told I have to eat my Vegeta before I can have desert.

9 Likes

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate when a villain does the whole chuckles “You have no idea what is going on” thing. Cuz then most of the time I’m just “NO. NO I DON’T. SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS PLEASE.”

Sylvanas also boils down to this

19 Likes