People don't understand economics in the auction house

Who’s buying rank 4 items right now? Even rank 2 isn’t selling.

Sure.

But that doesn’t change the fact that the OP is wrong :slight_smile:

It’s normal for rank 2 doesn’t sell, but rank 4 nets decent profit. Sold maybe 13 items over the entire day though.

Anyone can sell what they want. It will screw some people over but it will help some others. So you find what does work. If the market is better for buyers it might be better to buy. A good seller’s market is a different strategy. You can still post at normal prices. I find sometimes if the stock is low from undercutting I just buy them and sell them higher if not much people undercut and I end up making free gold too.

How am I wrong, and on what?

The way they market works is it’s first in first out.

Cancel scanning is equally effective to undercutting.

There is literally no reason to undercut anymore. Zero.

(Ok, impatience is a reason, but it’s not a good reason)

yes, cancel scanning is equally effective, but I don’t want to put up with it. They let mine sell or their profit margins collapse. Their choice.

1 Like

So your undercutting out of spite.

That’s fine… but it’s still not a good reason.

if someone whispers you about your AH tendencies its an easy ignore.

end of story :slight_smile:

would ronald mcdonald make his combos more expensive just because burger king cant keep up? no! lol

Why would I let them hog the market at a high price? If it’s high price, I cancel, repost. They cancel, they repost. Whoever gets lucky, gets the sale.

1 Like

People who actually play the AH sometimes rely on players who massively undercut.

Depending on the item/mats, I love when folks try and tank the market. Most the time it’s those who are just trying to liquidate what they made and don’t want to sit on it.

If people are whispering you about stuff like that, just know they think they know what they are doing.

If I see somebody undercut by 1 gold, I will go in and post mine for 1000 gold less (if it’s an expensive item). Especially when it’s a slow moving item like a jeweled panther mount.

I had a ruby panther for which my cost was about 23,000 gold. When I first posted it, it was one of three on the market. After two days of not selling, there were seven on the market.

Somebody kept reposting theirs constantly for one gold less. I didn’t feel like babysitting a high ticket item in the AH - I wanted to go play the game and forget about it. So, I started marking mine down by a thousand a pop. I drove the price down from 40,000 gold to 30,000 gold. I would have been willing to go as low as 1000-2000 above my cost.

Mine sold, and the others stayed on the market. In fact, the numbers of them went up. It’s possible one of the other sellers bought mine out to try to flip it, but I don’t care. I had mine sold, at a reasonable profit, while theirs just sat there on the market.

Again, I know they can probably make more profit on theirs, if they’re willing to babysit the market instead of playing the game. I’m not willing. So I will always mark my panthers down to sell quickly, or as quickly as you can sell an older item like that.

1 Like

That’s not hogging the market…

If you have a monopoly you don’t have to repost frequently. That’s how it works.

The more people in a given market, the more frequently you have to repost.

That’s how the AH works ._.

In a small market like legendaries you basically need to scare off the competition, I personally dropped the price on multiple rank 4 items to just under material costs to do two things

1. Stop new crafters entering the market
  2. Make current investors think twice about posting.
1 Like

People have a monopoly if no one is actively trying to sell. By that I mean cancel and reposting. There’s windows where people DO have monopolies.

Sure. But if that’s the case then they don’t have to cancel and repost.

Cancel scanning is the exact opposite of a monopoly.

Don’t get me wrong… I understand why people undercut. But claiming that people “force you” to undercut because they don’t understand how the economy works… makes no sense.

They don’t force me to undercut. I undercut as a response to their behavior. I’m not willing to play reposting wars.

1 Like

So you don’t understand how the economy works.

That’s fine. But spite is still not a good reason :).

I do understand that theirs sell first if they’re first on the list. The active participant can maintain it for however long they want.

If I collapse the prices, mine sells or their profit margins collapse.

3 Likes

Sure. But if you’re sell for lack of profit you didn’t really make any money, despite selling it.

That’s economics 101.