Pay your employees liveable wages, Blizzard

Then you either get a better job or work another so you can be entertained. It isn’t up to a company to pay you more than you are worth to them just so you can be.

1 Like

Employees are also free to negotiate a higher salary.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out what the merry hell you can do that is worth $31 million a year. I mean Jesus pogo-sticking Christ the Australian Prime Minister earns just a hair over $500,000 a year, plus allowances and privileges up the wazoo. But their job is steering the course of a nation state and I’ve had no love lost for the past three Prime Ministers, but I’m under no delusion that they’re (usually) sitting around just pulling their pud’s all day.

I mean even with Australia’s taxes, I could literally replace Bobby Kottick for a month, probably do absolutely nothing except keep the current course that’s charting success and walk away with enough money to basically make me secure in what I do from that point onwards.

Like, it is mind boggling to me that anyone other than Jesus himself, can do anything that’s worth 300k a week.

I doubt it - the part where you could do absolutely nothing.

https://mywage.ca/salary/celebrity-salary/politicians-world-leaders

You sell a product worth billions to millions of people. It doesnt matter what you do. Its what you sell.

The inverted pyramid business model truly vexes me.

No! Do you have any idea how hard it is being the CEO of massive company?! You’ll take your three peanuts and $1 and you’ll like it!

1 Like

With the kind of money these CEOs make I would just pay for many things out of my own pocket because I have nothing else to do with it. I don’t want some expensive home. In fact I would just stick with what I live in now. Maybe add in a pool.

Maybe this was me not expressing myself right, but what I said was absolutely nothing other than what was already in place. Like if I assumed his form and voice and just for that month made no drastic or massive changes - disaster notwithstanding of course - I would pocket a cool 1.3 million dollars and no bugger would be the wiser. That is mortgage gone, new house, sell old house, semi new cars and 100k aside for each of my kids to start compounding interest for the next 20 years. I’d still work because I get some fulfillment from it but climbing the proverbial greasy pole is no longer a huge issue.

But then some idiot journalist sees this broke developer and decides to write an article about how these evil, terrible CEO’s are underpaying people and conveniently leaves that part out.

The fact is, a CEO cannot be held responsible for a persons individual finances. Market worth is determined by a lot of things…things a CEO knows nothing about. Staffing agencies, economists, even sociologists…they all have the research when it comes to market worth for a given position.

But in Blizzards situation, it probably has nothing to do with market worth, and is probably a personal choice to work for the one of the biggest game developers in the world. If they don’t like their position, they can easily apply for another job, especially with unemployment numbers where they have been recently.

People in those positions have constant ‘disasters’ happening.

Why does a job have to be hard for it to pay a lot? You dont think running a billion dollar company is hard?

Imagine getting promoted at your job and the government steps in and tells you, “Sorry. You will be forfeiting your raise this time around because technically your job isnt any harder than the last one you had. Maybe next time.”

Capitalism only works when there are people on the bottom holding up the rest of the pyramid. Maybe some of those on the bottom could move up, but without SOMEONE on the bottom, the entire system falls apart. It literally cannot exist without SOME people going without so that others can have more than they need.

2 Likes

Most of the people on the bottom will eventually be replaced by automation and robotics.

And the alternative is to put EVERYONE at the bottom.

The point you are leaving out is mobility. You’ll never be able to solve poverty, as its a battle with human nature. What you can do is make upward mobility as easy as possible, and that is the strength of capitalism.

4 Likes

You can move up and down the pyramid all you want, it doesn’t change the shape of the pyramid. Someone is still on the bottom of that pyramid. The system demands it.

The wealthiest 0.1% of Americans own more than the bottom 80%. We already are all at the bottom.

1 Like

I thought that was Ion…the one who “the world hates for being the snake” at Blizzard. :thinking:

I think its because when we start seeing the raw sums of money some of these folks make it become sort of hard to fathom the numbers. $31million is to put it plain, a huge amount of dosh. I’m not sure what the hell I’d do with it if it fell into my lap.

It may also go back to the adage of effort in, reward out. Unfairly or otherwise there is a perception that CEO’s do sweet Fred Astaire to earn that kind of money. Now on its face, that is insane: no one hands over that amount of money to a single individual for no reason. But its harder to parse out the day to day grind of what someone like that does compared to their low to mid level employees. Like we pay the Chief of the Defence Forces (Army four star general) a salary of $800,000 plus his various allowances and privileges. But I can look at someone in a uniform with that many stars on their shoulders and imagine the hard graft, sacrifice and more than a little danger they have experienced and that figure makes sense. Hell Angus Campbell is a bargain at twice the price.

I just, I can’t look at Bobby Kotick and imagine the same, you know?

You are missing the fact that people can have plenty and still do without depending on how entitled they feel to have everything.

And if the government stopped taking 3 months salary every year, we’d all have even more.

2 Likes