Pay to win game

An advantage. That’s the point. I’m not arguing that it isn’t a stupid decision for the average player (I immediately sold my gushing wounds BoE because I don’t care that it would increase my damage significantly, I saw the dollar signs)… but that it comes down to:

Spend hundreds of hours farming gold or swipe that card.

Responding to a message about how a new player could farm that gold rather than the alternative of buying it with “a new player wouldn’t have the cape” is a strawman and you know it. The answer is “they could farm for hundreds of hours instead of paying” which is the hallmark of a game where you can pay for an advantage.

It’s reminiscent of the RMAH in early Diablo 3, where you COULD farm your life away trying to get the items you need to drop (or gold, to go gold -> items -> RMAH the items -> spend that money on what you need)… or just buy them directly.

My complaint about your response is that it’s the same style response as people who comment “wait, but you can’t even enter Ny’alotha! h4h4h4h4” every time someone posts about it on an alt.

To me he just sounds like he’s using the argument of “oh if I can get it with time investment in the game it’s not pay to win”… I would love to see a legit thriving game where you could only get good items with money and literally no other way of getting it through gameplay.

Using the excuse that you can’t directly buy the item off the store is so simple minded. If I see someone in trade chat selling a rank 3 TD piece at 475 ilvl, I can literally go on the store and buy whatever amount of tokens I need to get that piece with zero effort into farming the gold or content needed to acquire that piece.

So yes I can’t directly buy an item from the store, but blizz has given us all the tools we need to still pay to get that piece, or that run of content.

You can buy gear with gold. You can buy mythic kills with gold. You can buy arena rating with gold. You can buy max level characters with money. You can buy XP boost with gold and money. You can buy battle pets with gold.

You can buy gold.

How is this game not pay to win?

BAnd again, WoW is not pay to win. You don’t have any restrictions on how much gold you can earn, which is a very important distinction that you deliberately ignored so you could pretend to have a point.

I guess phone games aren’t pay to win because you can earn “gems” or whatever other stupid currency X games has instead of just pulling out your credit card and paying for them.

Yes you can farm gold and buy anything someone who has a credit card can buy with gold. To bad you’re going to be weeks behind. Gear behind, kills behind, mounts behind, pets behind, level behind, and at a disadvantage. BUT HEY YOU CAN EARN IT STILL SO NOT PAY TO WIN.

Finally some common sense. There’s nothing in WoW that can’t be bought with gold. Blizzard shop allows you to buy gold, who cares if you can’t directly buy a specific item off the store, you use to the store to buy the gold before purchasing that item you want. Blizz is literally the drug supplier, the sellers in trade chat are the drug dealers

Assuming you’re not sarcastic, I’ll clarify you can indeed buy corruption pieces. There are BoE pieces that drop from the raid. Theres a website out there that tracks all corrupted items in the auction house across all realms.

You could pay-to-win in that regard, but would be very expensive. Most items worth anything go for close to a million or more.

Besides, it was hinted that you’ll be able to persue corruptions if your choosing after this 100% reputation buff goes away. So buying these items isn’t worth your time or gold.

This is old.
I also had already stated that spending a hundred dollars on some temporary boots is stupid, and should be punished physically. But whatever.
Come to think of it, so should necroing old threads. Have that 7-post user whipped!

1 Like

Do you really think that you’ll be behind the curve if you don’t buy gear? You know people have to go out and get the gear and the BOEs first before they can be put on the Auction house. The people truely ahead of the curve don’t pay a dime. The people “winning” don’t even pay their subs.

That said, why do yall hate tokens so much? They save people a lot of money and make people a lot of gold. Besides aimless belly aching, what would be your solution? Remove wow tokens and ban all the top guilds doing carries?

Do you really think that you’ll be behind the curve if you don’t buy gear?

Depends on the player. Some people will play 60 hours a week, some will play 5. My point isn’t “who will be behind the curve” it’s people who spend money will be ahead of the curve.

The people truely ahead of the curve don’t pay a dime. The people “winning” don’t even pay their subs.

I can’t argue this point because I have no statistics to know if this is correct or not. Good thing is neither do you and you’re just assuming. It also depends what curve you are talking about. Pve? PvP? Pet battles? Leveling?

That said, why do yall hate tokens so much? They save people a lot of money and make people a lot of gold.

They make people spend money on a billion dollar company. It’s better to earn gold in game and have a true economy rather than working at McDonalds for 1 week to buy your boost.

Remove wow tokens and ban all the top guilds doing carries?

Sadly you can’t remove the WoW token and I never said Blizzard should. Just pointing out the game is pay to win. Also of course the guilds shouldn’t be banned for carries, they are taking advantage of a problem Blizzard has created. More power to them making money off garbage players and whales.

Ya exactly, there’s no way blizz can remove tokens because then it just turns into how it used to be where accounts are getting hacked and gold is being sold on 3rd party websites from those hacked accounts.

As well as there being absolutely no way for blizz to stop people from buying carries. People will always find a way around whatever blizz tries to do to stop it.

If only the game was actually not pay to win like these fools are claiming, then neither of those issues would exist

And that gets you what? Again people like using the phrase pay to win and not know what it means.

its not pay 2 win unless youre a millionaire or a retard willing to buy 3k worth of token to get where you could have been by doing a month of raiding and m+
let them waste their money if they want idc its not as if you could just spend a couple hundread and be top gear

YOU don’t have an idea of what P2W is if you don’t think this game is now P2W. The ability to buy things in game even arbitrarily through tokens with real world currency is the very definition of P2W. If someone wants the best in slot twilight or infinite corruptions and need a fast 5 million in game to buy it, well … there you go, tokens are the answer.

its not pay 2 win unless youre a millionaire or a retard willing to buy 3k worth of toke

Regardless if you have tons of money or not the game is pay to win. You don’t need to buy 3k worth of tokens, a couple hundred dollars is more than enough and you can make that fliping burgers.

Anyways people see pay to win and assume that you’re trash talking WoW. I don’t want them to remove tokens and I think it’s fine that people can pay for gear, levels, carries, pets, etc etc etc. The game is pay to win there is no denying that. People just need to accept the fact and move on.

What if I paid to necromancy?

You lost me when you said corruption is an interesting system–it’s not. I want my playing the character in complicated rotations to be my biggest form of damage on my character not a rng proc move constantly topping the damage charts.

It is theoretically possible to pay for a slight advantage. In practice it isn’t a thing. It is dishonest to brand an entire game pay to win because a handful of numbskulls have the option to spend several thousand dollars for end of expansion gear. The issue just isn’t there. Someone COULD spend that kind of money, but the evidence just isn’t there to say they do so regularly enough to where it impacts competition in any real way, because even if they did it still doesn’t get them into the top leaderboards without skill like a real P2W game does.

People can scream that this game is P2W all they want.

But it all boils down to being a L2P game.

1 Like

You can pay gold to get carried through content. Isn’t that the definition of “Pay to Win”?

(Not even Mythic Ny’alotha is safe, judging from the sheer volume of <[Lore Figure] Community> spam I see in trade chat…)

It’s not p2w unless I personally say it is everything else doesn’t matter