Pay to “win”?

And that’s fine. You’re free to decline to participate in content if you don’t want to participate in it. In doing so, you also decline all rewards from that content.

Some content is intentionally hard. It is expected that some players will fail when presented with that challenge. Harder content rewarding more powerful gear has been a staple of RPG since at least the 1970s, and isn’t going anywhere because it’s good design.

Neither of these things are bad.

1 Like

Define outside currency, if you’re factoring someone spending $20 on a token for gold earned by other people as having influence on the game, then you need to seek some form of professional help. You aren’t adding in or taking any gold out of circulation, the most you’re doing is moving that gold into your pockets to then move into some number of peoples pockets as you spend it on the AH or other means of spending it outside of npcs.

The advantage lies within the players willing to carry you through the content tho. You cannot simply spend money and loot rewards, you need to pay the players who can carry you through it. You can also do this with normal gameplay, have a bunch of friends willing to do it for free - its not tied directly to money in > rewards out.

You cannot take 20 people who all bought a token, group them up and go get CE.

2 Likes

lol sorry but to me once you start handing out boosters or carries of any kind then you’ve basically thrown the worth of doing that content legitimately into the gutter.

Since anyone can pay to have it too.

A stream of that with full comms would be hilarious to watch.

Taking odds if they even manage to kill a boss.

3 Likes

Tell you what, this doesn’t have anything to do with the discussion.

Or the transmogs, or the player power, or to keep up with their friends, or to compete with people… there are a million reasons why people would P2W.

We only need one example of how WoW is P2W, but there are many. Thank you for playing, better luck next time… maybe drink some coffee a bit sooner?

This is exactly right. If money weren’t introduced, that advantage wouldn’t exist.

To be clear, you weren’t a part of this thread for quite a while now. Take care, :slight_smile:

So what?

1 Like

Well the game is not doing that.

A certain group of players found that there was demand for it to be done, then decided to fill that void in the market.

This is a classic case of demand creating supply.

3 Likes

Ah yes.

Did you enjoy Vanilla wow? Did you think it was fair and even gameplay, well before things like xp boosts and gold tokens existed?

1 Like

Which is enabled by Blizzard, utilizing real world money.

You can do that through farming gold like everyone else, it’s not exclusive to spending real money, I guarantee you if I spent the next few weeks farming a few million gold and pay someone with said farmed gold to carry me for a few months of mythic raid gear carries, you’d still consider that pay to win even though I spent hours of my time earning that gold in game instead of working a few hours of real labor.

2 Likes

It was happening for gold and irl money back in 2005.

4 Likes

because people think buying gold and buying a carry will some how completely void any aspect of RNG and get them super gear in a few runs.

when thats just now how it works

2 Likes

It pretty enjoyable without any kind of boosters or shortcuts but then back then we hadn’t worn in the boots as a whole.

True. Just because you killed Sarkareth on mythic is S2 doesn’t mean you automatically got a beacon to drop.

1 Like

RMT existed before the token and the token is just a way of trying to prevent it coming from an outside source, if you ran blizzard you’d do the same. It’s just changing the middle man.

3 Likes

there is really no pay to win aspect of WOW that people just arnt taking onto the definition to suit there own needs.

at the end of the day there is no pay to win. thats just now what it means or how it works

3 Likes

Who remembers the flying lvl 1 orcs that would make advertisments to gold selling sites on the ground with their bodies… back in wrath :joy:

3 Likes

Stuff like that and chat spamming is why blizzard added squeltching in (iirc) cataclysm.

1 Like

i mean even spam runnimg high keys wont really net you any good gear unless you are SUPER lucky.

tbh i can achieve the same thing for free just getting my 500+ ilvl buddies to run me through 15’s for free

1 Like

We’re not debating if your efforts are meaningless, its that I can buy your effort and consider that a win.