Patch 8.1 and Cross-Faction Roleplay

Though I never got around to using this addon, anything to make the RP community a tighter group of people than it already is and bringing people together I’m all for. So doubling down on support for this.

2 Likes

WoW has an extremely strong and dedicated RP-based community compared to most other MMO’s because of both tenure and its ability to attract new players into the genre, who in -turn trickle their way down to the rp servers in smaller amounts.

A discord replication for this wouldn’t really work longterm because it already lacks those fundamental traits. At least, with the addon, we had a lot of our conversations privatized (the ##Relay channel was locked off for basically everyone within the Community) and getting someone to download it was probably simpler than getting them to set up and join a discord server.

There’d just be so much polish missing from the experience. lol

2 Likes

Regarding that BlizzCon video, I think it’s incredibly bad optics for Blizzard to say ‘we have no plans for that’ and then do nothing about an add-on that simulates that thing for which they said they had no plans and even had rationale for being against it. “We’re at war, aren’t we?”

As bad as perception of BfA seems to be, that’d be just another nail in the coffin. However flimsy, Blizzard does have to make it look like they’re in control of their own game.

takes a drink :beer:

I am going to need to make a bingo card.

But first: We don’t know if the API change was targeted at the addon or if this is an unintended consequence. Hanlon’s Razor dictates to not attribute something to malice when there is a better explanation.

8 Likes

I am here to put in my support. I have been playing since October 2007 with only a few months break for life things. In the earlier years I played for PvP and Raid content on my old main. I carefully spent the time on exploration and quest completion achievements when the achievements system was introduced. I have spent countless hours working on reputations for items and characters locked behind them.

And when I’m interested in interacting with the game’s lore more than just running around collecting and killing things, I roleplay. I’ve been a part of the roleplay community on two different servers for over a decade. In that decade I’ve slowly lost interest in PvP; I still do it on rare occasion, but I find much of the PvP community to be hateful and overall difficult to get involved in as a casual gamer. In the decade I’ve also slowly stopped doing end-game raids or leveling through instances; I still do them once in a while for the lore and content, but the LFG and LFR system is often negative and disrespectful and not a group I care to be around.

When the Cross RP addon came out I was skeptical, but I read all the limitations and, what do you know its not breaking game rules nor making anything game-breaking easier than in-game mechanics already do. I already miss it. Cross RP is what made all these events I enjoyed more immersive. My character’s distaste for Worgen was able to be expressed and acted upon in game in real time to allow real immersion.

As it stands, I’m debating if I want to renew my sub. Life gets busy in December and, even with the new patch, I can interact and roleplay elsewhere. On tumblr I’m following nearly a thousand RP character blogs all focused on World of Warcraft and most of them not played by the same group of RPers. With Cross-RP blocked from the game I’ll be bringing my RP back to discord exclusively and won’t be in-game as long.

This got really long. I’m not sorry for my passion.

9 Likes

Gooooooooooooooood morning General Discussion!

Super happy this thread is still chugging along- to see all this passion from RPers and non-RPers alike is legitimately inspiring and something I’m incredibly proud of.

So another day, another prayer for a response from Blizz! (Or even an MVP to let us know they’ve brought this to their attention!) Please either return functionality to Cross RP, a great boon to the RP community, or remove the need for an addon by removing the language barrier between factions!

10 Likes

May be a little old at this point, but I think it’s still worth giving examples of why this addon is such a positive.

My guild RP’s as an independent faction serving the Light and includes members of Horde and Alliance races. A few months ago we launched our BfA storyline, beginning with a simple mission to establish a forward base of operations in Nazmir to provide humanitarian aid to locals suffering collateral damage from the war.

During this mission, we saw our characters clustered up to watch each other’s backs in a (potentially) hostile environment, making idle chat to ease the tense atmosphere. When things went south, we heard the distant shouts of our captain ordering us to flee while he held back a villages worth of blood-crazed trolls, ultimately giving his life. We could feel the shift in mood in social RP before and after the mission just by looking at where character are sitting/standing and who is around them.

Such details make RP so much more engaging (at least for myself) and CrossRP allows for an exponentially wider range of possibility for character interaction. It allowed us to foster a sense of camaraderie and promoted in-the-moment character development that would otherwise be arbitrarily restricted in an Alliance- or Horde-only group.

Pure texted-based environments like Discord simply fail to match the same level of engagement. Our guild recently attempted a Discord-only event and (with respect to the GM’s who ran it and did a fantastic job) it was nowhere near as immersive and fun as in-game RP.

11 Likes

I have to agree, discord RP is fun, but it isn’t really immersive. I RP on Tumblr and I enjoy it. However, RPing in-game is a whole other experience. I just was getting my feet back in after being away from RPing in game for years. I can’t log on right now (due to the patch making my computer no longer able to play the game), but I will have to say this add-on did play a massive role with me staying subbed and playing.

3 Likes

Bump. We gotta make sure blizz sees this.

1 Like

Offering my support for Cross RP and its creator. <3

4 Likes

It would be nice to know whether Blizzard intentionally broke the functionality of this add-on, or if it’s an unintended consequence to the code in 8.1

If it’s unintended, I hope they plan to correct whatever it is caused the add-on to cease working.

3 Likes

Following up with my own experience of one of the better times I’ve had, facilitated by CrossRP, was our guild’s Pilgrim’s Bounty event. It was a great way for us to bond both in-game and out-of-game given the collaborative effort. Yes, our characters had fun stuffing ourselves silly, drinking, toasting, and setting off fireworks. We also had conflict – one of our blood elf contingent got uppity and almost started a fight, a salty old Draenei tried to get him to eat a chocolate-covered onion in retaliation. Our group included Nightborne, who up until BfA had dealings with both Horde and Alliance and who are now trying to reconcile that. Other characters have had longer-standing dealings with the opposite faction through back story and in-game events that took place before I’d joined.

In short, it was a very fun way to show a mutual group of friends that we care for one another, that we enjoy their presence and company, and that it can be accomplished regardless of faction. We all have stories to tell – please, let us tell our stories.

6 Likes

I’m reading that other addons were also broken.

Any addon that alters guild chat in any way, like sharing weak auras with a guild, no longer have that feature functioning.

Addons like GreenWall which allowed small guilds to bridge guild chats is also broken.

7 Likes

I had actually wondered about Greenwall and tried to find out its status yesterday. That affects a lot of people who I’d expect to be speaking up as well; figured I wasn’t seeing it because I don’t actually have any friends in a mega guild, I’ve only heard about people using it.

3 Likes

I’m very cautiously thinking it’s more and more likely that this may have indeed been non-targeted and something we could get reversed.

knocks on wood

9 Likes

If we don’t get a response here, we have to make sure we’re active and asking questions for tomorrow’s Q&A. Here’s the forum where they’re taking questions:

Live Developer Q&A Friday, December 14 – Submit Your Questions

And they’ll also be taking questions on Twitter using the hashtag #WarcraftQA.

9 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with Zenrao. Although I am surprised I haven’t seen more outcry about the other addons- but it seems that there’s a lot that still needs tweaking/patching/hotfixing.

That being said, with all the points that have been made about the benefits of this addon (or just removing the faction language barrier for RP realms), as well as all the good arguments made as to why it should have its functionality restored, I hope it’s something we see happen in the near future. I know Blizz has to fix more game-breaking bugs first, but I hold out hope we’ll get a response soon enough!

5 Likes

It was broke because it was fun and we know blizzard hates fun thats not dictated by them…

1 Like

Also almost 700 post and nothing but watch i can go start a post about puppies and blues and greens will show up in droves… Or a post about the new store mount and how great it is… SAD

2 Likes

I too wish to state my support for the CrossRP addon’s function, and for the nice rp opportunities it has made possible with considerably less hassle.

9 Likes