Pandaren Summit

I know you didn’t mean to but that’s an abbreviation of our guild we try to stay away from :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oop yeah, my apologies!

1 Like

We have nearly 6 months. I think we’ll have one going before the year is out.

In the meantime, smaller events to get guilds up, players together and so forth. Get in the habit of re-energizing players in attending smaller events so turnout at the “big show” is massive.

2 Likes

BURNT IT!

… AGAIN!

Yeah, good idea. Gonna try!

1 Like

As far as I know Pandaren Empire is the only Alliance side guild, Jadepaw here is dead, I don’t know what is on MG side tho they might have an Alliance guild but idt we’eve ever had too big of a MG presence.

1 Like

I will say this for everyone to see and purely for a narratives sake.

“We’ve officially conquered our rivals…” :smiling_imp:

And jokes aside I’m sorry to hear that. Jadepaw has been a pillar of Pandaren RP since literally the debut of MoP. Steelpaw litterally wouldn’t exist in the way it does now without our early conflicts and exciting RP.

2 Likes

I know I haven’t seen any others here on Alliance either, and I think Topaz Tigers (despite the fact they remain not an exclusively Pandaren guild) is on Moonguard for now as well.

There was one member of theirs that made a Pandaren guild that had a brief stint, they hosted a really nice Vale cleansing thing. Other than that, it’s pretty dry on Ally. There are still lots of Pandaren around of course, just not as many devoted guilds.

Yeah, sadly all of the officers and our GM just weren’t happy with the game anymore during BfA and just decided to quit. I have leadership but I don’t have the energy or willpower to lead a guild as well as being active in a FFXIV guild that also takes my freetime.

3 Likes

I’m…really shocked this turned into such a big debate. It’s literally just a roleplaying event. The idea that having one little Pandaren only event is going to somehow destroy Pandaren RP and chase off anyone interested in it is one of the goofiest things I’ve ever heard. It’s a summit for Pandaren to discuss what’s happening with their people, why would my Orc care? Let people run their events the way they want. If you’re truly concerned this event is going to be the end of Pandaren RP, put together a Pandaren event of your own that’s inclusive of all races.

I’m very sorry this blew up Wuvvums. I think this is a wonderful idea and I’d personally say to keep this to Pandaren only, I think it’d really help boost the Pandaren community.

13 Likes

Agreed it only had a few posts earlier.

And in my previous post, I stated that when people start to wonder if events should be (any race) only or open it eventually becomes an argued point regardless. There are some other factors to this I think on a much deeper level. Every Kosh’harg event that I’ve ever helped with , aided or attended wanted to try and make it orc only or at least orc dominate with specific rules for outside races due to the nature of Kosh’hargs being specifically for orcs to gather - and with orcs trying to reconnect to their culture it would make sense to have a setting where orcs can talk with other orcs without outside voices. Yet (and it’s related to many points above) many become upset at the idea they can’t come and enjoy it. And that is completely natural as a response from a player perspective.

But orcs and pandaren are different and I’m not throwing this out here as another debate topic so please no one start debating about orcs this is just an example.

I personally feel, that there is nothing inherently wrong with pandaren only events. While open to the world, I think a culture of people have a right to meet up together and discuss things unique to their own struggles. But, like I said way earlier, you can’t really stop people from attending, and you will have to be open to the fact that others may show up. Let them show up, listen, support their pandaren friends, but just let it be known your intentions for the event.

I hope my long winded post didn’t add to the issues to the debate, and I simply was only speaking of the pros and cons and what to think about and expect at weighing what sort of event you want.

(A good direction is perhaps maybe call it a pandaren social. Huojin, Tushui, Mainland and Wandering Isle all welcome to come together, meet, trade goods and build community. Show off your prized cloud serpents, share favorite dishes. Just normalcy.)

4 Likes

As the filthiest of casuals stepping in…

I never made it but too late to the other Pandaren events (usually came with a quarter of the event left so I just Eagle-Eyed things as opposed to actually interrupting) but having Pandaren-specific events was never a bad thing IMO. Everyone else has them, so having one for ourselves should be perfectly in reason. Extra races (such as hozen, jinyu, etc) make sense if they are accounted for OOCly first.

There are plenty of ways to have inclusive events as Lianshi mentioned, like the tourny where Buliss won. But a summit should be for the pandaren people, IMO. They’re the first race that usually (for me) comes to mind as having plants in two gardens. They should decide how to reap the harvest. Others are welcome to help with the crops, but the end result is first and foremost for the pandaren. Once they’re satisfied, then we can help our allies.

Anyway, my two cents. Not meaning to start a debate.

6 Likes

It’s alright, I think we’ve managed to at least get through that part of the debate, and I was brainstorming some more things last night. As other people in the thread mentioned, Alliance rp on WRA is very sparse right now. I sometimes rp over there myself, but I’ve seen more of my Alliance friends transferring to Moonguard. I do not mind reaching out to and including MG in our discussion, but I feel like with MG people comes the question of anchoring, and potentially having another round of inputs (basically would this pandaren-only talking point be debated all over again?). I’d at least like to hash out details in this thread first.

A tradition in the summits was to have a debate and talking point, and it usually tied back to current events, but the most current events are a bit baffling and might be hard for most characters to be up to speed on and have them scratching their head. Talking of vampires, faeries, angels, and cosmic struggles doesn’t feel like it’s as relatable to most characters. Perhaps this round of talking points could deal with something else, then? I had thought of a few.

Retreading: It might not hurt to have another discussion of Horde and Alliance and where we’re at and Pandaria’s role in the state of the world and state of politics.

The Emperor’s Teachings, Obsolete?: Even though this topic might be a little outdated by now, or at least would have been relevant after MOP, I feel like there could be a robust discussion about the Burdens of Shaohao in a post-Sha Pandaria. If there are no more Sha, is still beneficial, or a detriment to try to purge one’s doubts, fears, despair, anger, and pride?

Was cutting ourselves off the right thing to do?: This one would fall more into speculative history and potentially test the limits of debating and having an open mind, especially since a key point of it is a retrospective critique of events that have already come to pass by one of the most important figures in Pandaren history. I’ve seen players debate before if hiding Pandaria in the Mists to avoid fighting the Legion was the right thing to do overall. Part of the story and rationale was that Shao-Hao needed to buy more time for his people to be prepared for the calamities of the world, but some people point out that the people of Pandaria seemed far from prepared to handle rejoining Azeroth when the faction war rolled in. This one could be interesting, but given how hypothetical it is, might not be very relevant or relatable to the modern Pandaren.

I hope nobody minds any of the talking point suggestions put down here. I’d love to hear some of yours as well! :smiley:

5 Likes

Reconstruction.

Pandaria, once again, endured another siege and this time, not of invading armies but of cosmic forces reviving and empowering ancient enemies. The Vale took damage, there’s the rise of new “Pandaren Tolerant” Mogu, and technically Azerite is still a thing. Legion proved that remnants of Sha are still possible, if growing more rare over time and let alone the many forces of arms dwindled down by fighting. Even the tensions built up from different Pandaren groups siding with the Horde, Alliance, or neither are still present.

While yes the realm of the dead and the sky is shattered, something that’ll surely be brought up, the people of Pandaria again need to re-connect and heal. As has been the nature of every summit. To bring people forth, remind them of their shared heritage, and collaborate around common solutions.

5 Likes

While I do not know if Pandaria is also effected by it, I believe apparently the scourge are still running rampant atm so that is something else to add to the table.

7 Likes

and i thought blood elf house guilds could get a little bit hissy over racial things O.o’’

My currently non-canon squid hat tells me that a lot of the issue is simply calling a potential Pandaren Festival the Pandaren Summit.

Minkuni’s stance has been, as a Mainland Pandaren, that Pandaria should become an Empire able to stand on its own to protect itself from the warring Superpowers, but it currently cannot do so openly. Infiltration of these superpowers to gain goodwill, information, and potential deterrents is her course of action.

Pandaren Summits are akin to a Family Reunion. You bring your distant cousins and such all to one place to catch up, celebrate, and handle family issues.

A Pandaren Festival could be all of what the OP has suggested, without piggybacking on the previous names of the Summits. Have a Fighting Tournament, an Eggroll Eating Contest, or a Keg Roll, the options for games are limited only by your imagination.

7 Likes

Hey! I’ve been a long term attendee of the Summits in the past, having attended and spoken at all but one of them (I was unable to attend the fourth, most recent summit, sadly…) Some of you might even remember me! For two of em I was the last person to speak - I’m the Cranewing Mistweaver RPer who goes for the dramatics in their speeches! There’s been a couple conflicting opinions on what these kinds of events should be in here and I’d like to put in my two cents.

the Summits have been hosted by multiple different groups in the past, but no matter who’s hosted and no matter what differences in RP style there has been, the summits have always been fantastic events that are worth going to to get a sense of community as a Pandaren RPer alongside other Pandaren RPers. While I do not think that making attendance limited to Pandaren is a good idea, I also believe that this event does merit a focus towards Pandaren; the speakers in particular - I would not want a draenei to tell a gnome what it’s like to be a gnome under the same reasoning.

With all this in mind, the summits largely came out of the faction conflict leading into and during BfA. I think we can all agree that, at this point, that conflict is resolved for most of the RP playerbase. I think it’s worth considering having a summit event that reflects this resolution and a celebration of peace between the mortal races. I’m in favor of the summit being open for attendance as many folks in here have suggested, but with the understanding that this is a pandaren event with a focus towards their identity as a culture. In much the same way that peace between the Alliance and Horde did not mean the sacrificing of either factions identity.

Ultimately, people go to RP events to have a good time. Problems tend to occur most from pot-stirring individuals or being over-vigilant. for the former, usually the negative reception of the majority sorts it out, so long as it’s not fed too much. For the latter I think the best way to host an event like this would be from the mindset of your typical peace-loving Pandaren; Life is to be savored, and nothing is more important than family, friends and food. Over-vigilance about rules and the likes makes things less fun for everyone, ESPECIALLY the hosts who go to so much trouble to bring something wonderful to the community.

All in all I would love to come to whatever event is being planned here and I really hope that on my end, schedules can align better than they had for the last summit. I look forward to whatever Wuvvums has in store for us, and I hope that I’ll have the chance to have Ro give everyone a big dumb anime speech about unity and hope all over again!

IC at the Summits specific suggestions were made to host events open to all - under a different name. I don’t remember a single objection to the principle of welcoming others to share in what Pandaren culture has to offer so long as they respect that culture. … Well, maybe not the void-priestess Pandaren that suggested we raise the Mists, void-nuke the rest of Azeroth, then come out and rule whatever is left. :smiley:

Consensus is always stronger than compromise. That happens when a way is found to ensure everyone gets what they most value and that their cautions are taken into account.

These are the two key questions I ask myself:

• Does a Pandaren-hosted event that is open to all have to be called a Pandaren Summit even if it develops out of that well-established event?

My personal answer is that I don’t think calling an open event by a different name would keep anyone from coming. Finding a different name might actually be liberating. It might more effectively identify what is happening now than being bound by the limits (including name) of what went before. In fact, calling it a Pandaren Summit may actually be counter-productive. Some people - based on their experience that it was not open to other types of characters - won’t even bother to read the details if they see Pandaren Summit in the title.

• Would anyone who wants the Pandaren Summit to be limited to Pandaren as it was in the past object to there being a different event that had some of the same elements but was open to all?

My personal answer - and what I can read of a general feeling in this thread - is that it’s quite the opposite. We’d all enjoy such an event and would contribute to it. Give it our best both OOC & IC … Well, IC maybe not the void-priestess Pandaren that suggested we raise the Mists, void-nuke the rest of Azeroth, then come out and rule whatever is left. :smiley:

Seriously though, the way forward seems obvious. To make sure all Pandaren RPers are comfortable with a new type of event, give it a more fitting, more inviting, more inclusive name. And, on the other side of the pie, take advantage of the opportunity to put as much effort into making a success of whatever it ends up being called as we did into the Pandaren Summit. … Well, even if she volunteers maybe don’t put the void-priestess Pandaren that suggested we raise the Mists & void-nuke the rest of Azeroth (then come out and rule whatever is left) in charge of the hospitality suite. :smiley:

3 Likes

Personally, I think that there could be two events of differing names (One summit the other [insert name here]), all depending on the availability of hosts. I don’t see how we can’t have both pieces of the pie when they are not mutually exclusive.

The summit has always been something that is a catalyst for RP intrigue and motivation. Furthermore, the very thing of it being a summit makes it more…professional? At the very least, politically charged, which does allow guilds to come together and forge Rp partnerships. As Pandaren ARE NOT MONOLITHS and have varying ways of interpreting events.

As for what would be discussed at the next one…Recovery and perhaps stability might be on the table. Given that the fourth war has ended, we haven’t seen in-game efforts to recover what was lost with said war and the N’zoth invasions. Food, materials, and other goods would need to be reallocated so that people can rebuild their lives. Also, what about trade? Do we, as the Pandaren people, go to help the horde more, less, or the same as the alliance? Considering they were the instigators of the war (Well Sylv. but, it was the horde who facilitated her wishes).

Perhaps the other event could be “Gathering of the Ways” or something. Showing Pandaren culture as a whole while highlighting Huojin and Tushui cultural differences. As of now, since the separating of the mists and the induction of Pandaren into the factions, there might be new traditions that have sprung about.

3 Likes