Pally > War

Lacks utility? Do what?

From a tanking perspective, I prefer playing my Prot Paladin over Prot Warrior. I have been gearing out my Prot Paladin and started doing Mythic+. Granted, I’ve only done up to Mythic+ 13 on my Warrior as DPS, but I can say even trying to tank on my Warrior feels rather painful, versus tanking on my Prot Paladin which is just all around better in my opinion. I will say that the one thing I do like about Prot Warrior is the amount of mobility it has thanks to me using the Bounding Stride talent and Leaper legendary.

The thing with Warriors is that once the expansion progresses Warrior become more and more powerful. And there is always a need for at least 1 DPS warrior in a progression raiding guild, maybe even 2 if their DPS is high that tier. Warrior’s have a niche and guilds always want at least 1 DPS warrior, Ret is hit or miss.

Ret depends on Blizzard for tuning and really doesn’t bring anything to a raiding guild that Prot or Holy can bring. They’re also almost always middle of the road on the dps meters. This tier they’re pretty crazy in PvP, but this is like the first time in how many expansion they’ve been this good? At least 2 or 3.

Arms warrior (warrior in general) have almost always been a A to S tier spec(PvP) since vanilla. Ret, well it’s always a crap shoot. They just happen to be good this tier.

War is for hack and slash style, while other plate melees like ret and DK have some kinds of spell casting and animations in between. With a good-looking weapon transmog and illusions enchant, the swing animation/effect looks kinda dope.
War also scales very well toward endgame, when you have enough gears and stats. A lot of crits, consistent single/aoe dps, extreme burst during execute phase, less down time and GCD.
For utility, war needs more skillcap to perform than just pressing heal like other hybrid. With intervene, disarm, rallying cry, spell reflect… All needs to be used at the right time or the warrior and his partners could be punished hard since war does not have any actual healing abilities to compensate.

Personally for me its rp reasons mostly, my character is not religious

Warriors for the theme. Class fantasy of a berserker in fury warrior, who relies on their own power instead of gaining favour of the light.

DK is my all time favourite, but warriors are a classic fantasy of pure combat. Pallies are cool too in their own fantasy, too. Play both?