@ Paladins

Holy is the only way to level imo

um no - cause Baconn (the guy who actually wrote the guide) never updated it

nevermind the fact that even in the original forum sticky thread another Paladin actually updated it for him lol:

"sitting down DOES store a charge for reckoning from npc auto attacks
what you have to do is stand up right as they are about to connect and you will store a charge.
i used to run around orgrimmar and get charges off creeps and then unload on unwary clothie."

https://wayback.archive.org/web/20060719084043/http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com:80/thread.aspx?fn=wow-paladin&t=1069149&p=1&tmp=1#post1069149

It could still be done, and it wasnā€™t a bannable exploit anyway.

Though the way that people had to go about doing it does make it a bit of a grey area for it returning in Classic.

The decision of which will have a fairly significant impact on Paladins as a whole.

1 Like

NPC hits while sitting didnā€™t generate procs outside of that unreliable /sit spam bug which is useless for trying to level.

However, if you stood up just as you were getting hit, the server would see you as if you were standing and get a Reckoning charge.

When I read that, I read that as almost identical.

theyā€™re actually quite different as a /sit macro on private servers is infinitely easier to gain charges as it is just that a macro you mash but it wouldnā€™t work on vanilla.

instead you had to mash your X button which cause you to sit AND stand with the same key

TLDR - mashing a /sit macro forces you to sit and remain sitting whereas mashing X causes you to sit then stand back up, rinse, repeat

the main problem I had with the statement however was this:

ā€œuseless for trying to levelā€

and likewise using Baconnā€™s reckoning guide without the additional context that he provided last summer

For some people, it was/will be useless though. Not everyone could pull it off in vanilla and we still donā€™t know if it will be in classic.

Seal twisting isnā€™t really directly comparable.

Seal twisting relied on the buff duration continuing after you lost the seal. Basically the same mechanic as totem twisting, except less transparent and less clear.

Intentionally, directly exploiting server lag to trick the server into believing a false state is kind of different.

Blizzard not taking action does not change the definition of exploit. You can stop waiting now.

I see what youā€™re saying by this; did a bit of reading on the subjectā€¦

I have no desire at all to attempt to cheese server lag; that very well may not exist in Classic WoW at all.

I will however be perfectly willing to level my new paladin with whatever spec is the most enjoyable to do soā€¦

Thus far itā€™s looking like retribution and holy are the most reliable if youā€™re not looking to spam a /sit macroā€¦

Curious, effective protection actually is if youā€™re not depending on reckoning?
Just looks like I would need way too many points spent into protection that the effort to get to that point where it actually becomes practical for leveling only exists in the last ā€¦ 5 levels or soā€¦

I am no expert on this class, just my thoughts on the subjectā€¦

Why make the enemy die faster with reckoning anyway? Cuts into my girl on girl action time.

I only ever leveled the one paladin in Vanilla, and it was a very long time ago, so my memory is pretty fuzzy on it.

I did level for a little bit as Protection with reflective damage + Holy Shield spam, and it was pretty fun. I enjoyed it a lot more than Holy. But that said, I leveled my paladin long before the talent revamp, so it may well be entirely different in Classic.

If I were giving actual advice on leveling, Iā€™d say just try out different things. The first few respecs are cheap, and you know what you want to be at 60, so itā€™ll fade. Itā€™s not a big deal if you spend a gold a month (one respec per month would cost you 1g/month) trying out different things.

Ah, thatā€™s something I can sympathize withā€¦ Hunter before and After re-vamp was a very different animal.

The fact that you get a free, or essentially free mount at 40 is a massive advantage in that you can spend that gold on skills and re-specā€¦

Curious, how expensive is the actual effective out the door cost on the epic mount? I know thatā€™s tied to your ability to farm or the server economy, but some of those items are rather expensiveā€¦ Arcane crystals do not grow on trees and are far from cheap. Not to mention all the other stuff, also not cheapā€¦

I was remembering back to how things were on my server all those years ago, and it sure seems like the cost to just buy a regular epic mount VS get the paladin charger is about the sameā€¦

Also another thing that I really did not think of until I was looking at it; the paladin mount costs mana???

I find that really interesting, as the aura do not, but the mount doesā€¦ Thatā€™s a funky design choice for sure.

I never got far on a paladin during vanilla, just never had an interest in playing it, and I didnā€™t really become an altaholic until the end of vanilla. On pservers I finally gave them a chance and they quickly became my favorite healer. I never did the /sit thing, or even bothered with reckoning for that matter.

I first leveled as ret. Personally I found it horrible, Itā€™s like playing a warrior, only worse. You would get strings of misses and low damage and spend all of your mana either healing or doing damage. It was just terribly inefficient.

I had experience leveling shaman and knew that 1h/shield/flametongue was the most efficient with them, so I tried prot with paladin. It was night and day. First of all, AoE leveling isnā€™t really a thing. your abilities simply donā€™t do enough damage while leveling. For most fights I would just judge crusader and use SoR, judging it before it ended or the mob was about to die, then heal and repeat.

Prot doesnā€™t kill quickly, but you never need to eat or drink, and pulling an extra mob or two normally wonā€™t change that. Iā€™ve never heard of leveling as holy, not much in that tree that would benefit leveling past 11 pts. IMO ret is like leveling a warrior, just with less damage and more survivability.

lol stop being bad bro - if anything is determined to be an exploit by Blizzard there are immediate and far reaching actions to either stop said mechanics or warnings/bans to players who engage in them

/face meet /palm

even this - while not a bannable offence since the Paladin was using the skill in the exact method it was setup as (ie: no limit to charges) - was hotfixed by Blizzard within 24 hoursā€¦

My vague recollection is that thatā€™s correct; the paladin epic mount, in terms of time and effort, costs basically the same as just getting a normal epic mount.

Ok, so the thought that the 40 mount is freaking awesome is correct and then it sounds like the Epic is better put off till later when you have the time / luxury for that vanity that it really isā€¦

Thinking I will get the standard epic mount then because of the mana costā€¦ that part just rubs me the wrong way given the nature of mana in Vanilla being a true value.

I mean, itā€™s a free mount. And as far as I know you also donā€™t have to pay for riding skill - so that saves 80~100g depending on reputation and PvP rank. Though you do of course have to train it IIRC.

1 Like

Best part: You can be hit by a spell interrupt while summoning your class mount, and it will lock out your Holy school.

Never use your class mount if youā€™re fleeing a mage.

1 Like

ROFL, thats some serious risk vs reward thereā€¦

Buying the standard epic mountā€¦ you just sold me on that right thereā€¦ Getting holy locked because (casting) LOL NOPE!

I believe you get free riding training, so the mount is only about 9~10g or so. Itā€™s definitely a better choice since you also donā€™t reset your 5s regen window or need to spend mana.