@ Paladins

What is the most efficient and enjoyable way to level a paladin in Vanilla?

@ Retribution players why?

@ Protection players why?

@ Holy players why?

I would say Holy and Dungeon level. I never leveled a pally in Vanilla so my opinion may not be valid.

2 Likes

AoE grinding as Prot is decent at mid-higher levels (but given we’re going to all be heading to 60 I think mob competition will be too high), but I’m still pretty sure Retribution is best for general play.

As with all hybrids, you only really need an intellect set to heal while leveling. Going Holy just kills your solo leveling and dungeon leveling isn’t really ideal.

5 Likes

I do want to play a holy build at cap, so there is that.

Retribution to 60, then respec I’d say.

2 Likes

Reck Bomb says hold my beer…

7 Likes

That’s deep into Protection yes no?

Reckoning Bomb was a very shortlived meme spec. It was explosively powerful, but required set up, and was quickly nerfed. You still can do it, but that takes quite a while to build towards.

2 Likes

yes 25 points for 5/5 in the talent

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am not fully aware of how it works; what is the setup involved?

Also is Seal of Command in Retribution tree good enough to pick up or is it inferior to Seal of righteousness? (regarding leveling)

4 Likes

WHOA… I just realized that mages did not have spell steal in Vanilla… OH MY GOD, THIS IS GONNA BE ACTUALLY GOOD!

How does paladin deal with Warlock / Shadow priest? I can see that being a tricky situation because their range and fear mechanics are troublesome for melee classes.

Is there a way to deal with fear / mana burn?

1 Like

Kargos’s videos on YouTube (and the corresponding PDF) are amazing.
The creator is criminally unknown, the quality of his work and the detail is just phenomenal. I actually stand corrected - just like with Warriors and /sit’ing in combat to get the crit damage bonus from deep Fury, Paladins can do the same thing with Reckoning, if Blizzard doesn’t disable this. In this situation, Reckoning is actually the fastest leveling and you can tank dungeons more easily to boot.

Sad elf can’t post links.

2 Likes

Most (time) efficient – Deep Prot (31) / Ret (PoJ) MH + shield reck aoe farming

Most enjoyable – Often Ret for SoC slotmachine single target farming.

My plan –

1 - 40 Ret (SoR till slow 30+ weapons then SoC)

40 - 60 Deep Protection (AoE farm solo, dress heal dungeons)

3 Likes

You should pretty much level as Ret, but there are some variations as to how to do it. The big thing to remember is you will heal any dungeon just fine, even at 60, as Ret. All you need is the mana pool, and later on, some other decent pieces with +healing. I like going into Holy first for spiritual focus (no pushback when you get attacked when you need to heal), and Consecration. Consecration is just money for lower levels and some form of AoE. I used to grab a ton of spiders or ghouls in Duskwood, Consecrate, and chip away between that and exorcism on cd.

Later on, if you want some burst, you can go respec (1g is hardly tough when your mount is free…) and go into deep prot for Reckoning.

Above all else, get Seal of Command.

Going Holy really limits you when you are solo, but benefits you in a group.

Having done it now twice to 60, Ret all the way.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I am really looking for the best possible experience to level with…

End goal is healing, but the ride up should also be fun!

Is there an effective way to deal with Shadow Priests and warlocks as Holy?

Or is the best possible solution “Bring friends”?

No brother its so hard lol, its really painful without engineering bombs (and cooldowns) to interrupt disrespectful casting in our faces. No LoS areas are treacherous against wizards as a vanilla pally if i recall, even with shadow res aura and cleanse spam

So kinda like I was suspecting it’s gonna be a tricky bit…