Paladins being banned for farming Stratholme en masse

Willing to bet a lot of these paladins are being flagged by players who are unhinged over botting and boosts, so they are just reporting any paladin they see in Strat instead of being certain they are a bot before hand.

Just another reason why automating the bans is bad and why we need actual gms to go through these things.

I want to know the thought process of people that think cheating is just casually achieved with addons. I’ve had so many people try to suggest it.

1 Like

Addons have nothing to do with this.

This has something to do with the in-game reporting system definitely.

As you can see from the latest Developer Letter to the community, they clearly stated that they improved on “better visibility into the impact of your in-game reports of harassment, and more serious penalties for people engaged in disruptive behavior”.

This pretty much says everything. They pretty much cranked up the in-game reporting (automated banning) system penalties for those who got reported, by about 2-3x harsher.

I’m pretty sure exploitation, botting, or whatsoever has only a 6 month ban period if you got reported, because my ex-guild leader was banned for 6 months for legitimate botting. Blizzard ban cases normally double whenever you do a repeated attempt, and funnily enough, after my ex-guild leader was banned for 6 months, he continued botting, which leads to account closure.

I just wish they actually don’t hand out perma bans from automated banning, because that is ridiculous. What’s worst is that they say that they actually review every single report (which Blizzard and a lot of Blizzard Simps claim that they do), but clearly they don’t because LOTS of unjustified and wrongful ban happened.

For those who don’t know what developer letter I’m talking about, I’ve linked the letter here.

My ban was permanent and it’s the only action that has ever been taken on my account.

The ban was overturned today, but now I’m honestly too afraid to play for fear of being autobanned again.

I kind of wonder if I should just quit at this point. Why should anyone be afraid to play the game normally lol.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot about how these people were clearly innocent. Silly me, I guess.

Huh?

That’s clearly false. Because you’re replying to me.

Wait, I thought they were clearly innocent!

I’m going to continue not doing that.

Now what?

1 Like

Meanwhile, in another thread…

2 Likes

I got a handful of friends that actually “claimed” that they are innocent, both on retail and BCC, and they were also permabanned because of the same reason, botting, exploit, and yada yada.

Every single one of them appealed, but they got replied with an automated message saying that nothing can be done, the decision is final, and the ticket was just closed.

The thing is, they explicitly said, even if the account got unbanned, and the case was overturned, they will quit the game regardless.

Even until now, they are trying their hardest to get the case overturned because they don’t want to quit the game on a bitter note because of a lame automated ban. We’ve been playing together since Wrath, and they haven’t had any issues until now. They don’t want to leave a 10+ years journey and memories to end with a bitter note due to an automated ban.

That is what triggers me the most.

Many many many successful overturns require multiple appeals just to get someone to look into it. Usually the underpaid overseas slave labor just auto-shuts the appeal and that’s that.

Tell them to keep appealing, assuming they truly are innocent. If they were cheating, it’ll never be overturned simple as that.

I got lucky and it took a single appeal to get it over turned.

I’m sure that’s the case, but I don’t think I’ve done more than 2-3 hours of strat in a day, any day. The threshold just seems so low ><

If you play the game normally you have nothing to fear. I’m guessing that your normal differs significantly from the rest of us if you are afraid to play that way :wink:

What are you implying? If I was doing anything other than normal game play, my ban wouldn’t have been overturned.

But seeing as it has been, I must be playing normally. And yet since playing normally is what got me banned, I’m now hesitant to return to playing for fear of having to do this all over again because Blizzard allows an automated system to ban players.

I know of two other players who were banned in this wave and also overturned upon appeal. They’re also afraid to continue playing normally.

Overturned or not, if you get caught up in a banwave then something you are doing is close to, or mimics, an unacceptable manner of playing. My point being that most people, myself included, wouldn’t consider your chosen style of play normal. I’ve been playing for 15 years on multiple accounts, including multiboxing from time to time, and have never even been given a warning.

And no, just because you can do something in game doesn’t make it normal. Normal would be the way the majority of people play and this, like most bans, seem to affect a very small, but vocal, minority. A gameplay style may, or may not, be permitted. That is for Blizzard to decide.

2 Likes

Farming gold and boosting characters in a dungeon is pretty normal dude, considering thousands and thousands of people do it as a primary source of income in-game.

You are making an assumption, that just doing those activites is what generated the ban. I know you understand how to spell assumption :wink: I’m pretty sure, after reading this thread, that other flags were used, not just farming or boosting in a particular dungeon.

Personally I’d wouldn’t be upset if they found a way to stop all boosting activity, but that is just my personal preference.

1 Like
3 Likes

I would love that, but until they disallow it, I take advantage. Very early on I made posts asking them to nerf all boosting methods before TBCC came along, and MAN were people triggered by that post.

But that requires effort, which Blizzard will only do half way. They attempted to block the SP boost. Turns out they did an absolutely garbage job at that. Now they don’t try to stop it at all.

1 Like

Hey mate, I’m just wondering.

So, what you’re saying is that if we got banned or suspended because of something we didn’t do, we should just keep quiet? and let the punishment go through and just roll with the punishment hey?

Now, I know you might say, you can just appeal through. Well, that might be a solution, but even for me, I tried to get a refund for my D2R pre-purchase, it took over 48 hours for their CS to get back to me, and I don’t even get any replies yet, which proofs that their CS is pretty slow…

People get frustrated, that’s why they raise their concerns, and rant to everybody. It happens. Not getting a reply from customer support for over 48 hours is kind of concerning, because the longer it takes, the lower the chance for you to over turn the case, because you just start not giving a damn about it because if they don’t care about you, why should you care about them?

Regardless, if you think that farming Strat for gold is problematic, then just play the other parts of the game and enjoy. Personally I’m taking my time and enjoying the old world before Cata. I already did all of the content when it was originally released so I’m a lot more laid back this time around, that probably affects my outlook quite a bit.

At least quote the whole thing. The conversation was about normal gameplay and what constitues normal for most players. The GD forums are for venting, trolling, discussion, whatever. My comment was that the vocality of those affected doesn’t accuratly reflect the number of players (out of the totalityof the WoW playerbase) actually affected.

Just write a ticket. There was a similar problem on retail where players got banned for farming instances and they got unbanned after writing a ticket. Probably Blizzard’s anti-cheat system is bugged.