Paladin changes coming in Nov

So, I’ve seen everyone talking about the dracthyr getting new classes, and the shaman getting new ascendance forms, but what about the massive class changes that are coming in November. I know that is still some time away, but those changes are pretty massive considering season one hasn’t even started yet.

And paladin seems to be getting a complete rework according to the massive wall of text and talent changes they’ll be getting. Which makes me wonder if they might not become one of the better tanks after the changes?

20th Anniversary Update PTR Development Notes - Major Class Changes and More - Wowhead News

Anyway, is there anything you guys are particularly looking forward to?

2 Likes

for me the tier 2 dk sets

2 Likes

Oh yeah, those did look very lich king like. I thought they were one of the standout sets of the whole thing.

1 Like

and it will match well with the dreadnaught set also

1 Like

Considering paladin is the unanimous worst tank right now on everyone’s rankings it is no surprise their reworking them to bring them inline with other tanks.

5 Likes

I like the part where they say:

As if they were worried about holy paladin damage being too high. What a joke! LOL

2 Likes

Well, they are increasing the paladin’s damage in other area’s so maybe that was interfering idk.

Regarding Paladin tanks it will need to be tested because there was no changes as far as I can tell to the Protection Tree itself. Everything that changed was in the Class Tree.

So I’m not seeing much that specifically helps Prot out, over just helping the baseline Paladin out.

EDIT: Still wishing they’d scrap or change SotR for Holy so we can actually make use of the 2H int weapons in our loot tables…

The updated Paladin and Druid sets are something I would like to add to my collections. A couple of the mounts could be interesting. Didn’t really see anything about new battle pets but I probably missed it.

1 Like

Why the bleeeep would they remove Crusader Aura?

Like what is the actual purpose of that?

That was always one of the things I liked most about Paladins. It’s one of the few movement things they ever got and it was nice for solo questing.

Also I kinda wish they’d quit doing their “total reworks” every other expansion and quit moving the talent tree around constantly.

EDIT: They remove Crusader Aura but give us a talent that gives you blessing of freedom for 3 whole seconds after using steed…

that sounds like that belongs in the PvP talent tree.

3 Likes
  • New Talent: Refining Fire – Enemies struck by Avenger’s Shield burn with Holy Fire, suffering damage over time.

• Word of Glory healing increased by 20%.

• Shield of the Righteous damage increased by 20%.

There is that, and they are buffing lightsmith a bit.

From what I can tell about Lightsmith they dumped the choice node that was, admittingly incredibly stupid, for one that’s a bit more interesting.

I honestly forgot i did read about Refining Fire but, but i think they’d prefer if Shield gave them HoPo again, rather than a dot.

But we’ll see about the Spender buffs.

1 Like

It does sound like it will be pretty good though, there has been a lot of rooting effects in the new dungeons that I’ve been able to cheese with my druid, so I think that might help the paladin a bit.

I also plan to get those; in fact I’m now thinking I should level my dk cause the dk one looks amazing as well.

i’m pretty sure that was an honor talent in bfa you used steed it and gave freedom it was really good for prot paladin in arenas

1 Like

Yeah, so stick it in the PvP talent list and don’t clutter the normal talent tree up with it.

As it is, I hate that BoF is in the way of several talents below it that I do actually care about. IIRC, you either have to take BoF or Hand of Sacrifice to get down to Dawn and Dusk, and as a solo PvEr who only does the occasional dungeon, I don’t give a rat’s behind about either. Just wasted talent points on useless fluff.

And even in dungeons, the # of times I actually need that stuff is… not often.

1 Like

It’s more like the class tree is getting a massive overhaul

Not much changed for the ret tree.

2 Likes

Probably because the Paladin class tree was one of the worst in the game. It had the fewest total talents and the least flexibility, as well as having all three capstones being throughput (and you had to get all 3).

2 Likes

Wow developers change class abilities more often than dirty underwear. Makes you wonder if the people working on each specific class changes faster and more often than the turnover rate at Walmart.

3 Likes

Oh, I agree that most of the changes are coming to the class tree. And prot seems to be getting buffs to damage and healing. And what little changes ret are getting is just a dps increase to shield of the righteous.

I might pick this character back up then. Constantly having a character identity crisis and this is my OG, but I never end up sticking it out with him. I love reworks.

1 Like