Overwolf is a cancer we cannot allow in Wow

Is it? I know the US likes to apply its laws internationally when it comes to the Internet sometimes so…🤷

We have multiple.

Both wowinterface and github exist. Problem is, cursforge has been paying addon devs based on traffic for YEARS, so why would they go anywhere else? (not always in cash, you’d get points and you can use those points to buy things like gift cards)

1 Like

I said it in the other thread, and I’ll say it here.

Overwolf’s behavior involving malware is well known, and all over the place. People are talking about it on WoWhead, among other places. Reality is that I refuse to even take a chance when someone has that kind of reputation, especially among people in my own circle. I have a tech guy in my group of people who I run everything by - and he will not use Overwolf because of its reputation and his concern involving malware. That’s good enough for me.

Overwolf will never wind up on my PC. Ever. And I refuse to use them. I have already written down all of my addons and will be manually installing / updating from now on. Additionally, Overwolf’s behavior involving other people and aiming to scare others into simply destroying themselves is despicable, and I hope they fail as a result.

22 Likes

Well $%$@$%$ Out of all my looking into things I had completely forgot to check that. And sure, enough you are right.

Ok. So, privacy. Yea. . . not going to use AT ALL.

In our last thread last night before it got to this point several of us were discussing developing an alternative list that links to all the source repos possible. I am sure something will rise to the surface to help support the other clients that are out there now.

Thanks for the heads up on them being in Israel Skoom!

I’m not a fanatic but people did this stuff with the curse client and Wowhead. People just repeated that it was bad and malware over and over without any proof.

I don’t see any reason to believe some random forum poster over what Overwolf says they will do which is creating an add-on client similar to the curse client that is supported by ads (with the option to opt out in some way) that gives most of the ad revenue to addon developers.

Even if their addon client is “bloated” if you only run it to update your addons every now and then why would it matter enough to call Overwolf evil?

2 Likes

Last night’s thread ended the same :

Bunch of Overwolf fanboys defending them and their hostile takeover of the biggest add-on hosting site to then hold them hostages behind a paywall.

Wowinterface is wholly out of date on many add-ons, Github is not an add-on development and hosting site, it doesn’t have the required infrastructure that add-on managers need to function, it’s just an online git repository hosting site with some CI functionality built in.

2 Likes

Ah I see you have zero actual experience with them then, I’ll let you find out first hand while the rest of us use superior clients.

6 Likes

Dude, this is what you’re in the process of defending :

10 Likes

Wow, how awful it must be to hear that players want to continue to have a convenient way to quickly install addons without being taken advantage of with an overabundance of ads and malware from a shady company.

Got em bro. Good job.

13 Likes

So Overwolf has no grounds for their threats and people could threaten to sue them over this.

He was just saying “we need more places to upload addons” we have them, but they’re not paying devs, so why would they use them.

What about using WowUp?

That is the issue right now, Overwolf is going againts other third party managers and trying to kill them off.

3 Likes

Overwolf is trying to stop Wowup and others from working.

4 Likes

Not picking a side. Just adding some context.

Curse HAS had its fair share of extremely negative practices in the past. Them being purchased by Twitch helped add some legitimacy. So, while people argued, their misgivings were not as aggrieves as Overwolf’s have been historically.

As for the wowhead stuff. That was a tribal war between those who were diehard Thotbot people and the new clean non filled with crap wowhead (man I miss those days!!)

1 Like

Devs can’t monetize add-ons anyway. The thing with curse is that it has many actual integrated tools that make add-on hosting convenient, like all the built in discussion forums (which on Github would be relegated to issues which aren’t really good for that), documentation pages, and the API that allows querying add-on information.

Github is a generic git repository site, it’s not a game add-on site. It’s not specifically aimed or tailored for it.

Wowinterface is closer. But it’s wholly out of date, and lacks many of the features of Curseforge. There’s a reason Curseforge became top dog.

And Overwolf stepping in, and taking add-ons hostages now that Curse has been established (something Overwolf had no actual participation in) is downright predatory and vile. Especially considering their whole “schtick” is game overlays that phone home, sell your game playing metrics to 3rd parties and then bombards you with ads.

4 Likes

I don’t think payment model is really what keeps them at curse. Its probably more to do with the fact that 90%? Of the player base only bother looking at the curse website for add-ons so that’s where the addon authors go. Similar situation with youtube. Making money on youtube is actually really difficult. So content creators use patreon etc to actually make money but still upload to youtube cause that’s where the eyeballs are.

And they weren’t, they were getting paid through ad revenue, just as they would with Overwolf, so they really have no incentive to go anywhere else.

2 Likes

There are no ads in the Twitch client.

Except unlike under Twitch’s management, Overwolf wants to force ads down our throats, and fill your computer with Overlays and other garbage.

2 Likes

The biggest issue right now is Overwolf threatening other add-on managers and saying they shouldn’t be allowed to exist, because web scraping is bad.

But then Trustlvlfour just posted this fun tidbit, making Overwolf’s threats something people can sue them over:

On September 9 2020, the U.S. 9th circuit court of Appeals ruled that web scraping public sites does not violate the CFAA (Computer Fraud and Abuse Act). This is a really important decision. The court not only legalized this practice, but also prohibited competitors from removing information from your site automatically if the site is public. The court confirmed the clear logic that the entry of the web scraper bot is not legally different from the entry of the browser. In both cases, the “user” requests open data — and does something with it on their side.

2 Likes