Overwolf Client and Addon Management - PLEASE Don't Support This!

Lets dumb it down a few.

Lets say you have a 1gb monthly plan you paid $10 for, and the ads ‘use’ 100mb. The ads cost you $1.

1 Like

The Curseforge website isn’t going anywhere, afaik. Twitch was purely an app. Curse originally had an app with ads on it too.

People are acting like this is the first time something like this had happened.

There will be an opt out option.

I just don’t agree with them monopolizing add-on management as if they’re allowed to. If it comes to it, I think add-on creators should use a different site, like WoW Ace.

wowace was gobbled up by curse years ago. They no longer exist as a separate entity

Wowinterface is also supported by ads
Github is supported because developers have to pay if they are popular enough to hit limits.

Someone always has to pay something. The addon managers themselves were supported by patreon backers.

I’m not supporting OW, at all, but there has to be money coming from somewhere or these things can’t exist.

3 Likes

You should take a peek at their privacy policy :slight_smile: I know, we never read those things but you may be interested in the wording in Overwolfs

Under the applicable laws, Overwolf is the “data controller” of personal data collected through the Services.

To support the personalization of ads, limited information (app name, computer hardware summary, last played games) may be provided to the advertiser when ads are displayed.

Also there was a point when Overwolf was being flagged as having trojans, they said it was a false positive

but the internet being the internet I’m sure some people just decided not to trust them.

1 Like

Yes. By paying for a premium subscription.

WHICH IS WORSE

5 Likes

There’s another one out there I can’t remember the name of… :thinking:

1 Like

wowinterface

1 Like

Wowinterface’s ads have always been pretty tame though, and their first party updater (Minion I think?) came off as considerably less commercial than Curse’s ever has.

I pay for Wowhead. You’re screaming at the wrong person, because I don’t give a crap.

It puylls data direct from github as well. If curseforge revoke api access it can still getg data direct from github - overwolf would then have to limit what and where an addon creator can host their content. This is what they want - addons only avail via overwolf and thats a very bad option.

1 Like

Yea, you can have ads be unobtrusive.

Ah gotcha, so this applies to people who don’t have unlimited bandwidth :+1: Gotcha. That doesn’t apply to me though but I understand

That’s it! Thanks.

1 Like

It’s almost like Overwolf is kicking them off curse.

That would require the add-on devs to migrate off curse.

They don’t.

1 Like

Glad i could help…

Paying for wowhead is much different than an addon manager.

Wowhead you use every single day most likely, and you’re more than capable of running adblock software if you wish to opt out of the ads without paying.

An addon manager you’ll use maybe once a week and there’s no way to block the ads.

90% of their traffic was through cursforge, very limited amounts of addons are on github

I agree. I have never minded donating to those who create the add ons I use but when they start to make it mandatory then I think they need to shut down.

Actually