Overwolf bad for Blizzard/Activision business

Well good thing it’s only done out of choice here. If you don’t like doing that then you can simply not check every few days a week. Your not forced to update every single day or every few days, at worst, the addon would force you to update every few months.

New features/bugfixes can wait if you don’t like updating every few days.

Your gonna quit the game because you don’t want to take the 20 minutes at max necessary to install addons manually and just be done with it for the next few months? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

how is overwolf forcing them to shutdown?

Addons have to be free in order to comply with Blizzard’s TOS. That’s means if the addon is available for public download, there’s nothing Overwolf or anyone else can do to stop other software from going to the download URL and downloading the file into your addon folder. That’s really all an addon manager does.

as I mentioned, I only recently returned after 2yrs or so, adding little annoyances to any game is enough to give second thought on playing if its already something I have walked away from. Heck, and that last time I quit was because I built a new PC and simply didn’t feel like re setting up my addons I already had haha

2 Likes

WOWUP uses an API to get the data from Curseforge. The API will be closed. WOWUP will still be able to use other sources and can even create their own database and API if they want.

There are other sources of downloading current Addons though. They even have their own clients.

3 Likes

there are whole articles on it on google, just look up overwolf vs wowup

Of course, in all of this the addon authors are left high and dry.

1 Like

But a huge % of most used addons are exclusively thru curseforge

That is something players have to bring up with the developers really. As far as I am aware, Curseforge pays them per download. Which is the entire reason Overwolf wants to close the API. It costs money to allow the 3rd-party clients. Nothing is really free in life.

They aren’t and have said multiple times they aren’t.

Most of the other stuff you said isn’t true either. I don’t get this overblown hatred towards Overwolf.

2 Likes

i hate it when that happens. especially when you use voice for texting and forget to proofread.

…until your computer is running bitcoin algorithms for a dude named Boris.

3 Likes

There is no public API. Wowup uses web scraping. Something not too dissimilar to what Google’s or Microsoft’s web bots do to gather data for their search engines. Overwolf attempted to BS everyone by claiming some legal jargon. Meanwhile a US court ruled it perfectly legal and fine.

Screw Overwolf. I will never use their malware.

1 Like

Is there a reason Minion won’t work? I mean it already does and is on par with the current Twitch client w/o all the other nonsense.

Ya, they just sent out a cease and desist order to wowup for funzies

Not just hated on this forum. Do some searching around, and you will get a list of complaints about them. Seems they don’t do a very good job at filtering the ads they allow to run on the OW app. Wish I had saved the link to one bbb complaint about them. Anyhow someone had accidently clicked on one of the annoying popup ads in the app, and the next day started getting scam emails constantly wanting personal info. And later found out it was a ad that had some sort of malware imbedded in it. My guess is OW sold the persons email information to some hack site.

1 Like

Just use WowUp

Actually that’s not true. They plan to keep the API open for now. This comes directly from the creator of Ajour after speaking with them.

No they are not.

This is false.

That is not true yet.

Yeah that’s not going to happen.