Overcrowded Realm Update

I think more realms should be opened as need just like blizzard is doing. If people on Herod want to wait hours to log in that’s there choice.

1 problem I see is on launch day there is going to be a huge influx of players onto stalagg and other servers which will cause problems for people that did switch.

My solution is a day before launch day lock all full realms for character creation to force tourists and realm jumpers to play on non-full realms.

Because let’s be serious on launch day blizzard is probably going to have to creat several new servers regardless. Protect the people that paid the subscription early!

Please!

3 Likes

The solution is BLINDINGLY obvious: open up a new, transfer only, Eastern PvP realm where you keep your name on x-fer. Let ONLY Herod people transfer there until the game starts. That way, people get the exact name they reserved. You’re welcome.

17 Likes

Just change the name Stalagg to a cool sounding name like Litch King or Hellscream and watch Herod go from full to empty.

2 Likes

12 servers, but they aren’t 12 east coast pvp servers.

They won’t all die, but i’ve played enough MMO’s to know how players think… over time, one realm will be viewed as THE populated realm and people migrate to that.

It creates a snowball affect where, over time, more and more people leave the lower populated realms to head to the big populated realm, which exponentially increases the death of said lower population server.

It’s happened in WoW, SWTOR, and it will happen again in wow classic. It is inevitable with mmo’s and servers that certain servers are viewed as THE server to be on.

So people don’t see the irony in saying open more servers while at the same time refusing to leave the one you’re already on?

4 Likes

That is an awful idea; i’d rather wait in a wait for hours on my full realm than be FORCED into going to the lower tier realm.

I suggest “Nostremos” as the server name haha

1 Like

And both of your example games have dozens more servers than classic

I made a toon there reserved but won’t be rolling there initially, there are others like me. People reserved names for the heck of it. Also, the Initial hype will eventually die. Why roll off the realm you want if eventually it will simply become far less populated after the first month even week?

Stop viewing them as ‘lower-tier,’ blizz has already said that medium population servers are already more populated than the highest populated servers in 2006.

You’re part of the problem. Spread out.

1 Like

This exactly. I was going to post something similar but you said it better then i ever could.

Just make it easier for everyone by allowing a couple of days for existing players on Herod to move over to Stalagg so they can keep their names. This seems to be all the incentive they need. Cost you probably nothing.

2 Likes

“You think you do, but you don’t.”

lul

5 Likes

Say a guild of 20-50 people move servers. How would it be considered lower tier?

Why have the server caps so high in the first place if it’s going to cause 10k plus queues. I’d imagine if it’s that overcrowded then it should have been considered full earlier. I mean I knew this was going to happen when east only had 3 pvp servers and Brazilians called dibs on one and streamers called dibs on another.

1 Like

SWTOR is a single mega server now isn’t it?

Also, i experienced this in vanilla when blizz recommended a lower populated realm than the Full realm i wanted; and my realm ended up dying a slow death and i had to pay to transfer.

That won’t be happening again

4 Likes

First off - thank you for the updates. The information is very much appreciated.

This means we have far too few servers - by multiples, not by a few. I know you are planning for lots of players to splash and quit - but your approach is somewhat self-fulling. Having more servers now is much easier (and much less annoying to the player base) even if you have too have to merge a handful of low pop servers later - than having players deal the 10,000 person queues and the excessive layering/phasing we will have at launch on the current path.

I know this is beating a dead horse - but this is too late and there is too much layering. This update just highlights this issue.

My $0.02.

Thanks!

4 Likes

probs around 30k per realm since blizz believes 80% will quit.

It’s less populated, and the community will view it as lower tier because of that. It’s human nature, and the higher populated realm will begin pulling in people from the other realms over time creating a snowball affect down the road.

I’m happy to be on Herod, you can feel free to reroll though

If they want people to move to Stalagg, wipe the name reservations then give 2 days for Herod name transfers. These people will not give up the names they spent 15$ for just because of queues. Its basic freaking psychology. The other option, if its too hard to implement name xfers, is to wipe Stalagg names, then give a full 24 hours warning before opening it for reservations again. Thats the only way you are going to get people to move as they fall prey to the whole sunk cost fallacy with their names.