Outsourcing Enforcement of ToS to Players

Ars Technica has a story on a guild named “Gay Boys” being forced to change their guild name because multiple users reported the guild name – and even banning the guild leader as a result.

Firstly, at least they spelled “boy” properly, secondly, “gay” is not a problematic word. Although the ban was overturned – of course it was overturned – it was a stupid thing to happen in the first place.

“Blizzard did not immediately respond to Ars Technica’s questions about the affected guild’s automatic name change or about how coordinated reports may have been gamed by abusive users to target a minority group within WoW.”

arstechnica com/gaming/2019/10/gay-world-of-warcraft-guild-forced-to-change-name-because-of-user-reports/

18 Likes

I’m not sure what the title has to do with your post, since you didn’t really explain it.

14 Likes

Players being given to much power in reporting
Homophobia in wow

25 Likes

Yep. Players ganging up on other players and Blizzard auto-forces a guild change and suspends the guild creator before even looking at the guild name.

6 Likes

He is grinding attention rep

29 Likes

Yeah that’s what it sounds like lol

It’s likely this is an automated process. And given they overturned the ban I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve.

10 Likes

Well he is bringing attention to a serious issue, or are you saying there is something wrong with being gay?
Blizzard never should have banned that guild

11 Likes

Newsflash, people can be horrible. Anyone that spends any time on the internet already knew this. Be happy it was overturned. Don’t dwell on it OP, only gives the bad folks power.

My friend was once in a guild called Razorfin Down Syndrome and they were prompted to change the name of their guild as well. It’s a damn shame, truly a legendary group of players belonged to the ranks of that guild lol.

4 Likes

Or you just brought attention to the fact that trolls can get guilds auto-flagged for name changes just by mass reporting them.

5 Likes

You all are ganging up on him because he posted on an alliance character. If he posted with a red background you would shower him with praise and affection

5 Likes

Jesus tapdancing christ do I miss the ignore feature.

30 Likes

So do I, friend. So do I…

5 Likes

You could just you know… really ignore it and not post.

This guy is right, guild shouldn’t have to hope for an overturn. “just be happy they didn’t stay banned” is not an answer.

It shouldn’t have happened at all.

10 Likes

Lol so you can continue tribe mentality? We are all human beings here regardless of race, sexuality, or faction identity

If Blizzard hired ONE PERSON to give the game some personal attention so they don’t force people to hunt down how to overturn something that shouldn’t have happened in the first place, this wouldn’t be a problem.

I wasn’t talking about the OP.

:woman_shrugging: Dunno what to tell you. Talking to some devs on Twitter or putting a ticket in would be better than posting here, where he’s just going to get trolled.

This is an outrage! How could blizzard ban this kid!? Im so sick of…
wait what? Oh im sorry, i seem to have come to the wrong outrage thread. Next door? Ok. Thanks. I’ll show myself out.

7 Likes

That’s what he’s making a point about. Are you trying to be ignorant? The policy that players can get banned by other players and then hope for an overturn is a poor decision.

We’re talking about it on the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum.

2 Likes

I read about this a few hours ago, was waiting to see when it would make it on here.

Being forced to change certain words in guild names has been a thing forever, they’re just making a big deal about it now to add more fuel to the already existing dumpster fire that is blizzards PR nightmare.

These words tend to be words that people in general are sensitive to, not necessarily anything wrong with the actual word itself.

I’ve known plenty of GMs who have been forced to change their guild names over simpler words. The ban was extreme, and I’m glad they overturned that.

I also know several guild names that have some sort of LGTBQ+ association in their name and aren’t forced to change their names…it’s all about how you go about using those words and how other people perceive them.

5 Likes