Original Riding skill, and gold sinks

I don’t have a dog in this fight as I plan on only buying one epic mount, the Swift Green Mechanostrider (the white looks like it belongs to a fire mage and is kind of plain, the yellow looks like a leper gnome puked on it). I’ll grind PvP for the black one if it’s available.

It’s interesting they originally did it that way, but having it this way does give more incentive to mount collectors. I’ll probably own all the mechanostriders just for completion. But if it was the way OP describes, I’d have no problem just picking one of each. Very few races have more than one option I like above all else (or the black pvp>all), night elves being the exception as I remember using all theirs but haven’t played a NE since WoD.

In classic I’ll be happy with whatever my racial mount happens to be, unless I play a human I may end up grinding some rep, good thing they have that rep boost as I wouldn’t spend a copper on a horse. Even BfA horses are still just horses, with all the fantastic mounts in game they really are just the boring. :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m super confused as to what the issue is here… the price remains unchanged just flipped… why do we need more gold sinks in a game where 90% of people will be dirt poor and gold is scarce to begin with?

Also… correct me if I am wrong but I believe patch 1.12.1 IS patch 1.12… just a different iteration of patch 1.12???

For one mount, it is the same cost.

For two different faction mounts (or even two same faction mounts), it is vastly cheaper, just over half the total cost. It gets even cheaper with each additional mount.

I get it. It is more convenient and closer to retail to have the cheaper mount cost.

The vast majority of vanilla had the higher mou t cost, though. That higher mount cost even carried into 1.12.

IMO, if Johnny wants that second mount (either same faction or different faction) he should be willing to pay the higher mount cost. If the higher mount cost deters him, then it would appear that he really didn’t want that second mount that much, after all.

Correct. The total cost for the first mount is unchanged. The second mount some people got. The third, almost noone.

Secondary mount purchases are 1/10th of the cost in 1.12.1.

As a software developer I’d consider them all to be 1.12. Fesz has apparently decided to latch on to a straw in an attempt to say “Hah!” to people expecting all Vanilla patches to be applied.

1 Like

Secondary as in, I just bought an epic mount and I’m about to buy my second?

This says to me 1.12.3 not 1.12.0

Yeah. I bought my Swift Frostsaber and now I’m going to get a Swift Mechanostrider.

Okay, yea I don’t see this being an enormous problem, once you have an epic mount you have an epic mount, they could be free after the first one and I wouldn’t care. I don’t think enough people buy multiple epic mounts that it would cause an issue in terms of gold sinks anyway.

They didn’t until the price came down. Also, until they became a spell, not an item, holding too many was pointless.

4 Likes

I am not saying anything about QoL or retail or anything beyond the human condition. Will people farm the gold for cosmetics? At what point do they refuse to spend that gold.

IMO, the old cost was changed due to people seeing additional mounts as cost prohibitive.

Which means it’s not a gold sink. The change turns mount collecting into a subsequent sink after the initial epic mount and training costs

1 Like

My gold sink was respecting, I was always out of gold.

1 Like

Its been such a long time since I read threads concerned with respeccing, since its such a non-event now, that I’d forgotten the common typo.

I thought you were giving too much gold to the Night Elf Mailbox Dancers.

1 Like

Much respect for the big tippers

1 Like

Reading what you want to read.

At least you are consistent with your mental gymnastics to try to justify yiur insistence upon the more convenient option.

Convenience Patrol rides again! Weaawwwweeeeaaawwwww!

Sorry, beat you to the punch already. Your argument is invalid.

That’s a fair point and what i figure as much from early on but i figured i’d pitch the idea since it’s a static game, there are a decent amount of cosmetics in the game by tailoring alone iirc.

To be honest, the idea of gold sinks wasn’t a necessary concept till at least late TBC or early Wrath. It may be a bit more of an issue in Classic with AH grinders, but those guys are never really in it for the money, they’re in it for the counter.

I don’t see gold sinks as being a big concern simply because the average player won’t have gold, and never expected themselves to have to buy BiS off the AH. Its an issue in Retail where you can make 10,000G just from levelling 110 to 120, but the same isn’t true in Vanilla where you have plenty of “gold paper cuts”.

• Respecs get progressively higher.
  • Buying all your skills.
  • Constant repair costs. (The prices haven’t changed, but back then 1G mattered.)
  • Far lower gold generation as an economic whole.
1 Like

Respec cost do go down, each month by 5g and cap at 50g iirc.

Repair cost is the biggest sink, as are consumables for raiding if that’s your kicks.

I do think starting at 1.12 will have an effect on the economy though comparing 1.1 gains to 1.12 but no one know’s to what effect.

As a hybrid… my respec cost was almost always 50G, except for the first one after monthly reset…

It was on my server. I didnt have epic riding until TBC and i didnt have much trouble with people beating me to mines or mobs. Without dailies its going to take a long time for inflation to become a problem since the only way to create new wealth is vendoring drops and looting coin. Everything else is just moving that wealth around and losing it to the AH cut, respec costs, repair costs, flight path costs, mailbox costs (30 copper aint much but it adds up), naxx attunement, buying reagents & crafting materials, training costs, etc. Its death by a thousand cuts, a bunch of small sinks that are barely noticeable but effective

I have no idea when you started or when your server rolled out - but I can assure you 100% it was not a “minority” of level 60s that had their epic mount.