Orcs On The Alliance

I know the op is not being so serious here, but I agree with the general tone of his post. If the Horde gets some token pretty human-type races, then the Alliance should be able get some token ugly monstrous races. I don’t think Worgen really count as monstrous. They are a human race who were transformed to look like werewolves. And even then, they can change back any time out of combat!

All the current ugly or monstrous races on the Alliance have the flaw of having their monstrousness being offset by prettiness (Draenei) or their ugliness being offset by humanness (Worgen, Kul Tiran, Mechagnome). It doesn’t have to be an orc race. It could be a troll (maybe they found a long-lost dark troll tribe?), animal-inspired race (for example, furbolgs), anything. As long as it’s ugly as sin and natively monstrous.

4 Likes

Sethrak or Jinyu would have fit the mold but they gave us trash gnomes instead.

4 Likes

They’re not really ugly, though. They’re animalistic, but usually shown as pretty refined, even elegant.

Broken, on the other hand, would be perfect.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

We should send all the gnomes, humans, and dwarves back into the ground where they belong then, too.

5 Likes

The Jinyu may look refined but how are the Ankoan and Sethrak refined?

Why not? Anduin is practically having a picnic with Baine and Thrall now. All on first name basis.

We could have Jaina and the seven goblins.

:thinking:

And a group of Orcs which worship the light are not a deviation from the norm for that race…?

But why?

Yes, and they are still a tiny minority considering the percentage of the Horde character population that is Blood Elf. A very small minority of this forum, in fact, too, judging by posts, likes, etc. The consensus here is that Blood Elves are a great trope breaking addition to the Horde.

I mean, this is a good point in that the origin of Warcraft was “Orcs vs Humans” and they seem to wanna keep coming back to that… yet they also wanna contradict it at every turn(“Breaking the cycle”)? It’s a weird dynamic they play with the story.

Thanks. and I am actually pretty serious in that, why not have a traditionally “Horde” looking race be on the Alliance? Troll, Orc, Tauren, something related to them etc.

1 Like

As a way for existing Orcs (and thus their players) to explore this side of the race that has not been seen or experienced before, to immerse themselves in it and see what potential growth that might have for them. Putting them on the Alliance would just drive existing Orcs to fight against this new facet of the race, to reject it violently, as Blood Elves reject Void Elves, robbing Blood Elf players of the chance to explore those themes and immerse themselves in it.

I dont think Void Elves rob “Blood Elf players” (and can we please dispense with this categorizing of people this way? You’re just a player, who likes Blood elves, or whatever else, and people can like multiple things, and disagree with each other while liking the same thing) of anything. Like, they can still explore the themes of the Void Elves, they just have to play on the Alliance, and why is that so bad? To circle back around to the never ending grudge match, there were fans of High Elves/Blood Elves, etc, who were mad that they had to roll Horde to play them, and there were fans of the Horde who were mad that all the sudden their faction became overpopulated by “elves”, something that did not fit the traditional “trope” or “aesthetic” of the Hordes other races (Monster people? Idk). but, ultimately I don’t see the problem.

2 Likes

A very vocal and dedicated minority after so long that refuse to move on. Either way, not everyone by any means.

Further that some people don’t necessarily like them because of breaking of tropes rather than just liking High/Blood Elves in general. And not really holding a weird bone to pick against their inclusion for over a decade but accepting what it is.

Fair enough. Still, I don’t see why the Alliance could never possibly have a race such as Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, and I don’t see why the thought of it makes others cringe, especially the exact same people who express a desire to shatter the supposed fantasy trope logic of “human variations vs monsters”.

1 Like

Put it like this; where do Blood Elf Shadow Priests exist now? The main source of power they draw on is literally the Void. Do they just, no longer exist, because all the void-wielding elves were banished? Is it a non-canon race-spec combination, like Void Elf Holy Priests? If Void Elves were a Horde race, those players could immerse themselves in a whole new level! Now they have to question the canonicity of their characters.

Passing up player immersion and opportunities, there is also the lore opportunities that will never be embraced now. Imagine for a moment what Void Elves in the Horde, as loyal citizens of Quel’Thalas, would’ve meant for the story. Consider all those vast stories that could’ve been explored! The universe itself was made by a clash of void and light, and a race as intelligent and magically adept as Blood Elves could’ve done some amazing things if the two factions of the race cooperated and co-existed! The possibilities and potential are limitless for what they could’ve done! Now they’re locked into a boring trope; light vs dark.

2 Likes

I already said I’m fine with it. So I don’t know who these specific people you are referencing are.

Most of the objections here anyway seem based in the idea of specific bad blood between the Alliance and Orcs. But otherwise supportive or accepting of the general idea.

The same place Holy Priest Void Elves exist, I assume. Or Lightforged Death Knights. Etc. How far back does the ban on void research in Blood Elf lore date even? I’m not sure, they could have been canonical mysteries even before the inclusion of Void Elves into the Alliance.

Just as many stories can be explored though through their inclusion in the Alliance.

Perhaps.

1 Like

This thread was doomed from the title.

3 Likes

Great contribution!

1 Like

The Alliance has worked with Ner’zhul’s wife(who’s name escapes me) and in Warcraft 2 it has worked with the Bleeding Hollow before.

Because they’re boring people Spuddy. They want their generic fantasy instead of actually mixing things up. Can you imagine what the Alliance would be like if we swapped, say, Dwarves and Forsaken?

3 Likes

Blizz could’ve done it during WoD with the Shadowmoon Clan, but they chose not to. Rulkan joined up, and maybe a few other individuals I may be forgetting, but the rest of the non-void Shadowmoons didn’t. They were friendly to Alliance players, but no official join up.

Other than that, where it’s a group that has never interacted with the factions before, I can’t see it happening. Too much bad blood on both sides from orcs and humans in the MU.