Opinion: What is Considered Bad Behavior in Today's Society?

Mmmmk, if you nerd rage and cus me, or anyone else in my presence because we wiped in a game for entertainment, you’re acting bad, and I will report you.

If you bring up anything political, sexual, or racial in trade, you’re acting bad and I will report you.

It’s a game, we come here to leave the real world behind for a while, have fun and laugh at the silly mistakes. Anyone trying to diminish that is acting bad, you know the rest…

2 Likes

Well that is fine, We just don’t agree on this point.

The interesting thing about your observation: the single offending post was removed, but the thread is still here.

I read a “complaint” thread yesterday and it was disintegrated during the night. The same for the thread about a particular derogatory slur about old people that disappeared Monday …all 959 responses of it.

I started this thread with the intention of having a discussion, not a debate. There is literally no winning intended, just an exchange of perceptions and ideas.

1 Like

Although there are specific times when a physical attack on another human being can be “justified” (God I miss that show), mostly I feel it is wrong to attack another human being.

Impolite speech is wrong, but unavoidable in today’s world. In the world I come from “sticks and stones would break your bones, but words would never hurt you”. I guess we were made of sterner stuff.

Gun play in public is wrong, again except in strictly justifiable circumstances. Mainly due to the possibility of unintended victims. But I believe dueling in the old style (ten paces back to back) could solve a lot of the worlds problems with incivility.

It’s a dog eat dog world and getting worse every day. Not much hope left.

Don’t let them disarm you under any circumstances.

1 Like

But but…It was Justified.

There were cases of words “not hurting” leading to sticks and stones back!

1 Like

Everything is considered bad behaviour these days. No matter what you do you’re going to offend someone. Welcome to today’s society.

2 Likes

I love it when people say this unironically like you couldn’t get lynched for talking to the wrong race of woman less than a hundred years ago.

4 Likes

If you commit a micro aggression against a gnome… does it become a nano aggression?

1 Like

For any given MMO video game or related forum it all comes down to the TOS (Terms of Service; where you have to “Agree”). We run on their servers on their property and we have to follow their rules.

In the real world, US, we have to follow state and federal law.

Exactly how I take it, though it leaves the underlying question that is so obvious…why would anyone be compelled to be a jerk?

Does it seem better to you now?

Only small minded people think like that. If you vilify an entire group based on a few… You’re a bad actor.

If you use feeling solely instead of logic… Bad actor, AKA thinking something is bad with no good reason Other than hypotheticals

There are bad people on both sides of the political spectrum, but if you’re ready to dismiss an entire group of people because they don’t belong to your ideal or because of what you think they are… Yeah you’re probably 2 sides of the same coin… bad

4 Likes

Misery loves company.

Glad I am not the only one that noticed that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Big agree!

We’re all far more like than different. Including spiteful hateful and close minded.

Liberal does not equal good. Conservative does not equal bad. Or vice versa

You can’t at least hear your opponent out and see if they have logical arguments… Then Congratulations your part of the problem

1 Like

If I have said it once, I have said it a million times. Everyone, BOTH SIDES, are setting us against each other then laughing their arses off because we are too busy doing that instead of talking to each other and realizing “heyyyyy… they are screwing ALL OF US.”.

/soapbox

3 Likes

I can’t disagree, but I feel that there are counterpoints to be understood. Most people react to behavior they don’t expect. Once it is understood that behavior is affecting someone else adversely, then the resultant outcome of the situation is in the hands of the person doing the “offending”.

“You stepped on my toe”
a) “I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were there, are you ok?”
b) “You should learn how to stay the heck out of the way!”

Two very different responses to the same “offense” one stating good intentions, and the other not so much. One accepting responsibility for adversely affecting someone else, and the other being discourteous and dismissive.

Not being a woke idiot.
They call it “being a decent human being” i call it being a complete hack. life isn’t sunshines and rainbows, wake up.

Id rather have “toxic” people around me that are 100% real and express their anger and feelings unfiltered than people that pretend they don’t hate and that they’re “all positivity” when in fact they just hide that from you.

2 Likes

Pardon, I don’t follow the logic. who is supposed to be “woke”?

This should be your first statement. The reason it isn’t first, is so you can pose the question that you yourself already answer…right after asking. Lets go ahead an answer these last few “questions” you ask in your closing.

“Do we truly think that we have to “get a thicker skin” because it is now ok to say whatever we want, whenever we want, regardless of the audience?”

No one is forcing anyone to “have thicker skin”. It has never been okay to say whatever you want, whenever you want. You do make a good point about the audience though. Over the years the audience of player quality in World of Warcraft has diminished significantly. Which can be represented by your questions here today on the forums.

“Do we really think that rules literally are “meant to be broken”?”

I have never heard anyone seriously make this argument. Though Blizzard themselves used to be better at enforcing their rules, they made.

“Has it come to the point we will need to contend with ill behavior because it is not important enough to correct it?”

This is your most important question, and the most telling from your end. No one forces anyone to interact with anyone else. You do not have to play with the chat function active, you do not have to respond to people if you don’t want, and you can block people you really do not wish to interact with. These tools have been in the game since its inception. People act as though they are either above using them, or having to use them is counter to a positive environment. Think about it this way though. If there is a person saying really disruptive things to 100 people and all 100 of them block this person, are they any longer a threat to disrupt the environment? It comes down to personal responsibility, and the new people arriving in the community over the years lack this simple aspect, almost completely.

Back to the original question.

“So the question is, how bad does someone have to act in order for it to actually be considered BAD?”

Like most people that ask this, who is defining the bad behavior that you are curious about? Are you wondering about the Blizzard standard? Is it the standard of the community that puzzles you?

In my lifetime, I was raised under the method where being discourteous, rude, or mean would be met with specific physical discomfort as a reminder to act like a better human being. Through this method, I was able to mature and understand the difference between good and bad behavior, even when I did not want to act accordingly.

From what I can see, this is no longer the case. The current dynamic of individuals who believe they are not in an environment that is based on mutual etiquette seems to be a crowd of people who employ the reasoning that “if I don’t like it, it must be bad” mentality. Then to top it off, they accuse you that if you do not also dislike the behavior you are a participant in this lack of positive community interaction.

The major issue is, even when Blizzard draws hard lines in the sand to what behavior is acceptable and what behavior is not acceptable, there will always be people who try to move the line to suite what they think the standard should be. Historically Blizzard would tell people to shut their mouth and mind their business, but alas, these paragons of administration have fallen prey to the current sociological plague that infects and degrades the social fabric. The disease known as political correctness.

A disease which you seem to have contracted;

People by and large have many of the same social structures in place in regards to polite and kind communication. You are a member of the group which wishes to place all people into boxes and point out all their differences like the absolute inclusive and diverse person you are.

You asked a question in the general forums to accrue as much confirmation bias as you could. You wish for people to be punished more severely for what you feel is acting poorly, and you want to see how many other people will raise their hand to agree that this immature attitude is the correct response to how you feel.

Or I am wrong, who knows.

1 Like