Opinion: What is Considered Bad Behavior in Today's Society?

Just because it existed didn’t mean it affected everyone.

If you applied for a job, you likely would not have been immediately disqualified solely based on the color of your skin. It does not mean all white people were rolling in the riches.

I had this very conversation with someone about 1 year ago.

My family emigrated from Scandinavia after the Civil War, but before World War 1.

They moved to the mid-west, Minnesota and the Dakotas. Then, in the 50’s moved to Alaska, and have been here ever since.

The reply I received was that they were just as culpable for slavery and all of the generated “privileged” that their skin color granted them.

Not buyin it, with Verminard’s money.

2 Likes

Unfair to the Tick.

ok well, that person gave you a ridiculous reply, what do you want me to say about it?

no your family isn’t culpable for acts that went on in a country before they moved here.

But that doesn’t change the fact that the country has a deep history with systemic racism that we aren’t done working through yet.

3 Likes

There might be something to that. Do you think that ‘Nigerians’ were welcomed in before WW1. It’s odd that you used one of the blondiest whitest examples possible for how hard your ancestors had it.

Look I will say this and end here because I can see we see this slightly differently. You are talking about societal issues without regard to individuals and my point is individuals like me matter.

I am just going to say this because I don’t fit into any box you can put me into and everything about me fits what I supposedly shouldnt be. I could go through an extremely long list of things I probably have posted on here before at different times where I should be in box X but really am in box Y but I keep getting told yeah but you are unique - you are the unicorn, the one like no other.

I just dont think I am.

1 Like

I am sorry if you feel I am putting you in a box. That wasn’t my intention. I thought we were having a conversation about society in general. I wasn’t speaking anything directly about you other than saying being white didn’t mean you automatically got an advantage, it just meant being non-white did mean you got an automatic disadvantage.

We can admit that we (as a race) had an advantage without it meaning we personally had an advantage.

1 Like

I can’t disagree with this stance as I do not know what every institution is currently involved in. I will have to disagree with the affirmation that now is worse then before 1960 before there were laws in place to at least level the playing field as much as they could then. It is absolutely inaccurate and ridiculous to think its worse today. That message permeates the voice of people who want more to change. It very difficult to take them seriously when that many false statements come from that group of people.

Show me where I said my ancestors had a hard time please.

You won’t find any post by me anywhere claiming it is.

2 Likes

Sorry if I came off poorly. I just know its a sore point for me.

Like I said, I could make a laundry list of things where while I might be a straight white male, my life has had the drawback of that (see the physical stuff above) plus many other issues that non-white, LGBTQ+, females people would never believe I have had.

Not whining or complaining, just saying what is / was. People like me DO exist but when people generalize we get lost in the conversation.

I was saying there is an affirmation that exists. It doesn’t have to come from you to exist.

Are you saying you have never heard anyone say that it isn’t harder now then it was then?

I know you exist. I have never said you didn’t. I’d say your experiences and my experiences are not too much different (other than the male part, lol). That wasn’t my point though… more exists than just us. We can know we don’t fit in the box without denying the box does exist.

2 Likes

Anyway, I just want to thank EVERYONE who participated in a somewhat tough conversation where we all have different opinions. I think it shows we really do have more in common than we dont.

I think I am gonna try to call it a night here while its still good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As I said earlier in the thread, we all have more in common than not, but we listen to people (politicians) t hat tell us we are soo soo different so that we are too busy fighting to realize they are screwing all of us.

1 Like

Cept us Libertarians.

Our whole States Rights, personal responsibility, and veneration of The Bill of Rights is crazy.

1 Like

I am gonna say one more thing :slight_smile: Suuuure…

I dont have a problem with states rights (I actually think its cool where you can just move if you dont like the laws where you live but still be in the same country). I also don’t have a problem Federal Laws either. Just make sure the laws are made by the legislature in the proper fashion and not just created by an agency or court. You know, stick to the way our system was designed.

So tired of politicians punting the hard calls to the courts all the while claiming they cant do anything unless you give me more money.

OK end rant

1 Like

If those weren’t used as a cover for degenerate behavior then I would agree.

we had a perfect example of bad behaviour today to really hurt people hate the supreme court.

2 Likes

This seems like a red herring argument.

“I heard someone not participating in this conversation make a ridiculous claim. So therefor, we will stop talking about the reasonable claim (that it still exists) to focus on this ridiculous claim.”

Generally speaking, the juveniles of the political forums.

3 Likes