Opinion - Professions Are Now Too Overcomplicated For Most Players To Want To Deal With

Personally I love the new system.

Yeah it took a bit to get my head around but for the first time professions feel actually meaningful and a proper part of the game not just something I spam craft on mindlessly and max out in a week only to hit a wall where I cant craft anything useful until I’m already 20 ilvls above it and anything useful I CAN make is BoP and thus useless.

Ive crafted at least a couple of almost everything I can make at this point - something thats NEVER been true before.

I agree, i have limited time. I have been stuck and am not sure where to go so i gave up on crafting professions mining skining and herbs are all i focus on now

This describes most design changes that Blizzard has made.

1 Like

My reagent bags and bank are full! I have a lot of stuff I’m not using and can’t sell either because nobody wants to buy them.

1 Like

Bfa raid material crafted pieces (both versions: sanguicells/breaths and then the AEP/Nya quests) were more intuitive and better.

1 Like

mythic plus player - I am not surprised you are one of the few that are able to make numerous pieces for your character

Unfortunately those sell for peanuts too now. :confused:

1 Like

Yeah I plan to stick to Gathering professions only tbh.

I see lots of 70’s in ZM doing quests for gold…

its that bad…

1 Like

Love the new system. Only complaint is that it does feel a bit too much for me to even consider doing it on multiple alts.

Now that I am in deeper with professions, they really needed iteration. There is a lot that needs fine tuning if not refactoring.

1. The skill-ups from 1-100+ should not have competed with the specializations. You should have leveled your professions from 1-100+ as part of your questing/leveling experience. There should never be a time where you are without an opportunity to skill-up your crafting profession. There should always be recipes attainable and affordable that can get you to max skill, even if the recipes end up being gated behind character level.
  2. Once you hit max level AND max skill, then you can unlock professions’ end game. this should be opt-in. Choosing to not pursue profession end game should still leave you with the recipes necessary for basic self-support and/or modest income. basically, the “unspecced” crafter crafts items “master” crafters need.
  3. You should be able to respect at any time.
  4. Pursuing crafting end-game should be opt-in, just like raiding, M+ and pvp are opt-in. You shouldn’t feel like you’ve abandoned your profession just because you don’t want to do the end game.
  5. “Knowledge points” should not be gated behind RNG, but rather should be targeted. If you want an RNG factor, make that be special recipes, gear or components that change either the item or your ability to craft.
  6. There should never be crafting/gathering perks gated behind a dungeon, raid or pvp. this defeats the purpose of professions being a stand-alone tentpole. If unique crafting locations are required, they should either be in the world or in a “phase” of an instance.

I can’t think of any additional feedback at the moment.

6 Likes

Or how about where Alchemists have to find a bench behind the last boss in a dungeon? What? REally!???

1 Like

I think the prob is the gate is behind ‘knowledge’ leveling. This is just frustrating. IMO

I’m basically ignoring professions like I did in the past but for different reasons. Pretty sure they’re designed to last the xpac. I barely acknowledge them.

I personally like how complicated they are. Professions were a little too linear before.

I do agree that they are not very well laid out in an interface sense.

I think some tweaks to the UI could solve a lot of problems.

I think they need some kind of an in game materials calculator for people to follow so like …

When runed witherbark is required … if you hover over it it will show you the mats it requires to make it etc … give you the option to craft it right from there instead of having to look it all up.

Maybe show you if you possess all the raw materials to make something that takes multiple steps to make.

At this point people need a bill of materials.

Y’all have no sense of how to play an RPG. the fun part about it is the hard, and the feeling of discovering something hidden …

People these days are too soft and the fun of it is lost on their limited minds.

2 Likes

If the crafting system in WoW is what you consider complicated you might find yourself more at home playing Candy Crush Saga. It isn’t complicated at all for anybody that knows how to read.

1 Like

:joy: what a great response.

I think that people are obsessed with the levels thing … that their profession will not be 100 on day 1 of starting it. Just like people obsess over their character not being max level day 1 of the expac and have the max level gear.

Omg they actually made it challenging this time? How dare they …

1 Like

I love these ideas.

I really don’t think of myself as a very smart person, and I only struggled a little bit with understanding this new system. They literally have entire quest lines dedicated to teaching you about the crafting system, which I assume everyone who just hates it cause it’s not GET MATERIAL CRAFT BEST ITEM IN GAME didn’t read. Blizzard has just spent such a long time coddling these grown adult children that anything that requires even the smallest amount of brain power just entirely eludes them. I’d be willing to bet everybody that hates the crafting system also hates the dragon riding system as well cause it isn’t as easy as being a helicopter on a winged creature.