Opinion on PC

I live in Canada. The hottest day during the heatwave last month was 89.24 Fahrenheit. Currently it is a sunny day and 76f

Air cooling is fine, particularly for that chip unless youā€™re doing heavy overclocking. Zen 2 does like to be kept cool though, but donā€™t feel pressured to do watercooling in any form. That cooler or the Noctua equivalent are both overkill for the stock build of that CPU.

3 Likes

I think even that cheaper build is overkill, but thatā€™s just me. You could get an i7 and a RTX 2070 and youā€™d be real happy for a long time.

1 Like

Eh, youā€™re probably fine with just air then.

Irony: Zen 2 basically does that for you insofar as you keep the chip cool and buy a non-garbage motherboard that can supply the current. Overclocking can actually end up worse unless you really need an all-core overclock than the individual core boost. So it really depends on your workload. For wow or gaming I would actually suggest just leaving it stock and keeping it cool.

Final note on air coolers: The wattage rating on them is their ability to dissipate without saturating (the point where the heatpipes no longer work and are just copper convectors). Thatā€™s usually well beyond the draw rate of most modern CPUs unless youā€™re buying a lower profile cooler.

Iā€™ve sent out for all the parts (and Iā€™ll be paying a nearby shop to assemble it, better safe than sorry)

Hereā€™s hoping it doesnā€™t explode the moment I turn it on.

sad part I think the 1080ti still outperforms the 2080ti lol or itā€™s a mere 10 percent better --bad buy- I wouldnā€™t buy either one 5700 amd or 5700xt is good enough

dunno the idea of water and computers scare meā€“add more fans

Itā€™s probably a little late but theyā€™re running a special deal starting tomorrow. Hereā€™s an Asus build based on this.

Just remember that better is the enemy of good enough. You gotta build sometime. May as well be now.

Looks fine to me, but I would go with better cooling option!

OPā€¦ Iā€™m just really thankful that youā€™re here to talk about computer hardware.

I donā€™t know why I clicked the thread title if I was expecting otherwiseā€¦

ā€¦been so long since I built my own system I honestly would have to look at the hardware again to be useful with your listā€¦ except:

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

:warning: Let me say this, first off: You, the reader, are not going to agree with this.

I just know you wonā€™t.

But this is how it is, and I multibox(ed) on old AND new rigs using Win7.

You can get so much out of an optimized Windows 7 setup andā€¦ while (again, not sure about the current hardware) you might run in to compatibility issues, I swear I donā€™t know why anyone would use any other version of Windows.

For Windows 8+ the telemetry alone is horrific for latency, not to mention all the other drawbacks of what modern software has becomeā€¦ just a sort of bait and switch intended to get as much as possible out of the consumer while providing less and less optimized performance.

/rant

Point is, donā€™t know about the hardware anymore, but honestly, Iā€™d never make a gaming system with anything other than Windows 7 at this point (maybe that makes me a dinosaur :dragon:).

NOTE: I do have win7 running on a laptop that doesnā€™t officially support it. Runs great, just had to go driver hunting (youā€™re going to have to do that anyway if youā€™re building your own system).

MSI Z170A M5 Motherboard.
Intel i7 6700k CPU
32 Gigs Ripjaws Series V RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 Twin Frozr GPU
Samsung 1TB SSD x 2

Back when I built this thing it cost me a little over 2k for all of the parts. It could have been less if I didnā€™t buy Windows 8.1 and went with spin drives instead of SSD. Never had trouble with any games and it runs pretty damn fast. Just threw it out there in case someone is looking to build but cheaper. Pretty sure it would cost less to build my system now.

Windows 7? No way. Commodore 64 is the way to go.

The GTX 970 would be hard to find, but I have still seen new GTX 1060ā€™s going for around $150, and they are quite a bit better than the 970. Iā€™m still running my 1060 with an i7 7700k, and itā€™s great. Probably almost exactly like your system.

If you mean max settings on wow, you dont need to be bleeding edge for that.

I can play retail on max settings now with a raedon 480 and a 4 year old i7.

You could spend 1/4th that and be at max settings 4 years from now.

But if you just got money to burn and want to have all the latest and greatest without regard to cost, then thatll do it. Just definitely unnecessary for wow.

1 Like

You can build a great computer for about 1/2 that money and still have it be viable for the next few years.

1 Like

Ive thought about going back to Win 7. It just felt like such a good OS back then.

Win 8 and Win 10 just feel like 10day old garbage.

I will probably do that this weekend since you make it sound tempting.

What version of Win 7 do you recommend?

Other than the fact that it is serious overkill for WoW and you obviously have money to burn, no.

Iā€™ve had the same Core i7 CPU and GTX1080 for several years now and have been playing with setting maxed with no issues.