Opinion on PC

I don’t stream and I’m already playing WoW with lots of addons…

…with 8gb.

Well unless someone has something to say in the next hour or so I’ll pull the trigger on the cheaper build `https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8QPcZR

Don’t think there is a game out there that fully utilize that setup;it’s the equivalent of buying farrari but you can only drive 55mph.I’m just getting the asus strix board ryzen 3700 8 core with 32g of ram and that should run me 550 dollars and able to use it for 10 years after.

I’m in agreement, there isn’t a game out currently that would fully use that setup to it’s true potential. But he is trying to build based on games not yet released, which is something I fundamentally disagree with. He doesn’t, so he is willing to spend more. shrugs

My only concern is the warning about the height clearances, I would suggest running that concern by the person that gave you that build to make sure they are basing it on experience with those parts vs building it from just a theoretical technical specification. Theoretically the build is solid, but I’ve seen people ignore the clearance warning and it bite them when all the parts arrived.

1 Like

well the current computer I build is going on 10 years old for a 4 core cpu and the only thing I replaced was the gpu card twice thanks to can’t find replacement gpu fans.

I think that’s a generic warning. All the pcpartpicker builds I was given had that warning.
It’s the only one with “The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.” though. Should I be concerned?

Been building PCs all my life, OP your machine is gunna be beautiful. Great choice to go with that 500GB Flash Disk, the CPU socket matches up with the motherboard, 850W powersupply should be more than enough with a single beast GPU.

Looks great man, grats.

Yes it’s a generic warning, because you are using parts that are new enough that the website doesn’t know the height clearances to check for you. That’s why I suggested checking with the person that made the build, to make sure he knows it’ll physically work. I mean it’ll probably work but you could get lucky… I don’t personally ever get that error because I’m not using bleeding edge parts.

I wouldn’t worry about the other m.2 errors. Unless you are planning on adding more drives to that PC, it’s fine as it is. That’s a pretty typical error that doesn’t effect most people.

2 Likes

Go custom liquid cooling since you’re spending so much. It will be worth it.

Else, that air cooler should outperform most off the shelf aios. I have it in one of my builds and it performs great.

The build looks pretty solid overall. Though, like has been pointed out already, it is severely overkill if you’re only gaming.

1 Like

If he isn’t overclocking that build, he’s doing it wrong. lol

That’s what I said! That build just screams OVERCLOCK ME SO HARD!

2 Likes

From what I’m reading a modern heat pipe cooler will perform better than a liquid cooler for a lot less money and maintenance.

1 Like

Bipzi talked me out of that one, going with `https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8QPcZR

1 Like

lol, well it’s still a nice upgrade.

I honestly think you’d get better performance across the life of your build with 2x$2000 builds than a 1x$4000 build.

That is a lot more sensible. I would go with an Asus mobo though but that is just personal preference.

That computer is still a beast though.

So you dont want to be bleeding edge but have quite literally some of the highest end most expensive parts that are available? Ooooook. If you actually built this you’d be able to play on max settings in basically any game for 5 years at least.

Also, if this is primarily for WoW it’s way overkill.

Not sure what you’re doing with the SSDs. Why include an extra SATA drive when you have a huge NVME drive. It’s also one of the slowest NVME drives (I have it). Might be better off combining the price of both of those and getting a better 1 or 2 TB NVME SSD instead.

Using an air cooler makes no sense at all. Get a normal 240 AIO and call it a day. Not sure what bad experience you had or what year that was in, but water damage failures are so rare it’s an afterthought. Also, a liquid cooling AIO costs less than that Noctua air cooler, several of them. I got my Coolermaster one for like 63 bucks with rebate, and it’s a full dual fan model.

I have to agree with this. Spending that much on a GPU, unless you live in a state/country that’s cold all the time, it might behoove you to buy a hybrid water cooled one. My 980ti is a hybrid and its still running like a champ 5 years later, and I live in a state that’s over 100 degrees half the year.

Also, if you’re ok waiting a few months, the next gen GPUs should be out in spring of 2020. Assuming they follow their normal release pattern that is. That’s what I’m waiting for.

And yes to this, you might end up having to switch any SATA drive you have connected. Not a huge deal but it’s easy to miss when you’re building it. Also not a huge pain to redo after. I ran into this using a second SATA SSD and m.2 NVME SSD to clone one of the SATA drives.

This also depends on the environment you live in. If you have good air conditioning in your house, air cooling is fine. If not, the water cooling is far better. In my 15 years experience anyways. I won’t buy an air cooled GPU again, its just too hot where I live for it to keep up.

Are you planning on streaming or using this PC beyond gaming? Otherwise you can cut back to the 3600X and call it fine.