Opinion on PC

I know there is a hardware forum but it moves slowly and who knows how much the part prices will change in a day or two? Already had to sub a part in the past 24hrs.

Time to get a new PC, do you see any issues with this build? Sending it off in a couple hours so now is your chance to tell me what a moron I am before I really become said moron.

`https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Vulture051/saved/#view=z2Y7TW

Nothing wrong with it.

Since you’re already spending a large amount money on it, may consider going with liquid cooling rather than fan.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t know your use case so it’s hard to advise. Air cooling has come a long way, but yea a watercooler would be nice.

What is this monster of a rig for anyway?

Go to /r/buildapc on reddit for this kind of topic tbh

Gaming and not having to upgrade for a while.

Made a topic there too but WoW moves faster, 0 comments there 3 here already.

Better quality over replies will come from over there. This doesn’t belong in general and should be deleted/moved, if we had mods :joy:

That’s it? This is a poor investment then. The upgrades you will get will outperform this build in a few years time and you’ll have spent less overall by a fair margin. Bleeding edge speed always costs way more than it’s worth.

I say this as a VR enthusiast who pushes more pixels than the avg person.

2 Likes

Not looking to remain bleeding edge, I just want to be able to play at near max settings for a few years.

Also, I’ve had bad experiences with water-cooling. When it fails things can go REAL bad.

Water-cooling? Seriously? Unless they plan on doing some overclocks, it is wasted

1 Like

Well then… nothing wrong with your build I guess. That said, In a few years I’ll have leapfrogged you in terms of raw power and settings I can push, and I’ll have also spent at least $1k less than you.

If they are looking at spending $4k to be able to maximize their time with this single static build, they would be crazy NOT to overclock.

2 Likes

It’s quieter. And with an AMD chip, its nice to have. I don’t know about this particular chip, its too new for me, but they don’t tend to overclock well without it. Which he might want to do. The cost difference is minimal relative to his overall budget and he gains a lot of options from doing so.

If this was an 800$ budget build, I wouldnt have said to go with Liquid cooling, but the guy is dropping 4k. He may as well grab it since its not a big price increase over the cooling he has listed in his build. He’s picked a roughly 120$ cooler already.

I wouldn’t build a custom loop but there are some really solid, easy to install closed loops like the H100i and the Kraken that would work great even if not overclocking. I prefer those because they require less cleaning. Although they tend to also come with a shorter lifespan

Quiet is mainly down to fan choice. I had a system on air with a bunch of fans which hardly made any noise, noisiest part was the hard drive.

Also taking thermals and knowing the limits of the hardware is a must.

1 Like

Well what is your opinion on this? `https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8QPcZR
It’s what someone on reddit suggested.

I’m not huge tech guy and I’m not comfortable fidding with parts lest I mess something critical up. I figured I’d go big dongle and that would last me for a while rather than something modest that I will have to switch out parts for in a year. Last computer I built the water cooler killed my GPU (twice) and when I invoked the warranties I got a better card because they didn’t even have the model in stock anymore.

Better, but before I go into specifics… what kinda games are you trying to run at max settings? You are still in massive overkill mode for say, WoW.

For reference, I’m using a Core i5 and GTX 1070 currently to power a VR rig and it runs everything I throw at it without inducing simulator sickness and induces presence just fine. Once double 4k panels become the norm, I’ll obviously need a graphics card and cpu upgrade.

1 Like

Gywnplain here. Messed up my post and apparently I can’t reply again until someone else does first.

I mostly play RPGs and the occasional loot n’ shooter. So in the future Cyberpunk 2077, Greedfall, The Outer Worlds, heavily modded Elderscrolls 6, etc
I would like to get into VR though.

Would you be willing to take a shot at a build? People are telling me I should ask reddit, well the overkill build IS Reddit’s. I just switched in a cheaper monitor and a different cooler because it was in-stock.

better off with a ryzen 3700 8 cores since new stuff means overpriced,get a asus motherboard strix,buy a windows 10 key from ebay 5 bucks,get a higher resolution 4k monitor 3444x something,5700xt amd card.

New stuff just means way overpriced and should wait 1 year for those to come down in price.But if you got money to burn go for it but next year you will say wtf almost 50 percent less.

Your second build is fine for what you’ve listed since you are trying to futuredate your build some. The problem with futuredating builds for games is that it can be hard to predict specs for said games. That said, Cyberpunk 2077 demo was using a freaking TITAN. I’m sure they still need to optimize their game since they are in the build phase right now, but still, TITAN.

Ultimately since you want to futuredate your tech, I’m not sure a build I come up with you will be happy with, since our core philosophies are different. I try and maximize pixel power for the best value per dollar, where you want to futuredate which will always run counter to Value per Dollar. On a technical level, I have no problems with your second build, and 2k resolution for the monitor is a good compromise between 1080p and 4k. While you can see a difference between 1080p and 4k in details, in my experience most people don’t notice unless you set these monitors side by side and do the comparison that way. It’s in VR where going higher than 1080p is super important, since it helps to eliminate the screen door effect. Most VR content however, is not being made with 4k panels in mind though, because the technology to push 2x 4k panels is nutzo expensive right now and not in the reach of most gamers.

1 Like

That should be nice for WoW in general. My only comment would be if you like tons of addons or ever stream while you play, or run other things then WoW while you play, you might consider moving to 64 gigs of RAM.

Guy said he just wanted to play games on this thing when I asked for his use case. He didn’t say he wanted to Stream Twich while running Blender and Photoshop during his WoW session. 64Gigs is pretty silly for his case.

1 Like