Opinion on PC

That is a lot more sensible. I would go with an Asus mobo though but that is just personal preference.

That computer is still a beast though.

So you dont want to be bleeding edge but have quite literally some of the highest end most expensive parts that are available? Ooooook. If you actually built this you’d be able to play on max settings in basically any game for 5 years at least.

Also, if this is primarily for WoW it’s way overkill.

Not sure what you’re doing with the SSDs. Why include an extra SATA drive when you have a huge NVME drive. It’s also one of the slowest NVME drives (I have it). Might be better off combining the price of both of those and getting a better 1 or 2 TB NVME SSD instead.

Using an air cooler makes no sense at all. Get a normal 240 AIO and call it a day. Not sure what bad experience you had or what year that was in, but water damage failures are so rare it’s an afterthought. Also, a liquid cooling AIO costs less than that Noctua air cooler, several of them. I got my Coolermaster one for like 63 bucks with rebate, and it’s a full dual fan model.

I have to agree with this. Spending that much on a GPU, unless you live in a state/country that’s cold all the time, it might behoove you to buy a hybrid water cooled one. My 980ti is a hybrid and its still running like a champ 5 years later, and I live in a state that’s over 100 degrees half the year.

Also, if you’re ok waiting a few months, the next gen GPUs should be out in spring of 2020. Assuming they follow their normal release pattern that is. That’s what I’m waiting for.

And yes to this, you might end up having to switch any SATA drive you have connected. Not a huge deal but it’s easy to miss when you’re building it. Also not a huge pain to redo after. I ran into this using a second SATA SSD and m.2 NVME SSD to clone one of the SATA drives.

This also depends on the environment you live in. If you have good air conditioning in your house, air cooling is fine. If not, the water cooling is far better. In my 15 years experience anyways. I won’t buy an air cooled GPU again, its just too hot where I live for it to keep up.

Are you planning on streaming or using this PC beyond gaming? Otherwise you can cut back to the 3600X and call it fine.

I live in Canada. The hottest day during the heatwave last month was 89.24 Fahrenheit. Currently it is a sunny day and 76f

Air cooling is fine, particularly for that chip unless you’re doing heavy overclocking. Zen 2 does like to be kept cool though, but don’t feel pressured to do watercooling in any form. That cooler or the Noctua equivalent are both overkill for the stock build of that CPU.

3 Likes

I think even that cheaper build is overkill, but that’s just me. You could get an i7 and a RTX 2070 and you’d be real happy for a long time.

1 Like

Eh, you’re probably fine with just air then.

Irony: Zen 2 basically does that for you insofar as you keep the chip cool and buy a non-garbage motherboard that can supply the current. Overclocking can actually end up worse unless you really need an all-core overclock than the individual core boost. So it really depends on your workload. For wow or gaming I would actually suggest just leaving it stock and keeping it cool.

Final note on air coolers: The wattage rating on them is their ability to dissipate without saturating (the point where the heatpipes no longer work and are just copper convectors). That’s usually well beyond the draw rate of most modern CPUs unless you’re buying a lower profile cooler.

I’ve sent out for all the parts (and I’ll be paying a nearby shop to assemble it, better safe than sorry)

Here’s hoping it doesn’t explode the moment I turn it on.

sad part I think the 1080ti still outperforms the 2080ti lol or it’s a mere 10 percent better --bad buy- I wouldn’t buy either one 5700 amd or 5700xt is good enough

dunno the idea of water and computers scare me–add more fans

It’s probably a little late but they’re running a special deal starting tomorrow. Here’s an Asus build based on this.

Just remember that better is the enemy of good enough. You gotta build sometime. May as well be now.

Looks fine to me, but I would go with better cooling option!

OP… I’m just really thankful that you’re here to talk about computer hardware.

I don’t know why I clicked the thread title if I was expecting otherwise…

…been so long since I built my own system I honestly would have to look at the hardware again to be useful with your list… except:

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

:warning: Let me say this, first off: You, the reader, are not going to agree with this.

I just know you won’t.

But this is how it is, and I multibox(ed) on old AND new rigs using Win7.

You can get so much out of an optimized Windows 7 setup and… while (again, not sure about the current hardware) you might run in to compatibility issues, I swear I don’t know why anyone would use any other version of Windows.

For Windows 8+ the telemetry alone is horrific for latency, not to mention all the other drawbacks of what modern software has become… just a sort of bait and switch intended to get as much as possible out of the consumer while providing less and less optimized performance.

/rant

Point is, don’t know about the hardware anymore, but honestly, I’d never make a gaming system with anything other than Windows 7 at this point (maybe that makes me a dinosaur :dragon:).

NOTE: I do have win7 running on a laptop that doesn’t officially support it. Runs great, just had to go driver hunting (you’re going to have to do that anyway if you’re building your own system).

MSI Z170A M5 Motherboard.
Intel i7 6700k CPU
32 Gigs Ripjaws Series V RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 Twin Frozr GPU
Samsung 1TB SSD x 2

Back when I built this thing it cost me a little over 2k for all of the parts. It could have been less if I didn’t buy Windows 8.1 and went with spin drives instead of SSD. Never had trouble with any games and it runs pretty damn fast. Just threw it out there in case someone is looking to build but cheaper. Pretty sure it would cost less to build my system now.

Windows 7? No way. Commodore 64 is the way to go.