Open Season on Legitimate Multiboxing

I posted earlier about my views on what the broadcasting ban will mean for my impact on the economy. TLDR, farming is now about the only thing I can do effectively as a multiboxer, so I will be pushed to doing more of that now that I can no longer (legally) use broadcasting software to make moderate difficulty 5-man content or earlier raid tiers feasible.

But the ban is already having another negative effect. I realize the risks of playing with War Mode on, but I figured the inconvenience of going back to Stormwind was unnecessary to get some more parts for the Gorilla Bot pet from the Vol’dun Assault tonight. BAM! Out of the sky come a hunter, a lock, and a monk, obliterating my toons. Then they camp my corpses, and I eventually wait them out to juice up the spider so it can defeat the gorilla. While I’m getting my parts, the hunter comes back and starts knocking my toons around with this explosive traps.

Had I been using key broadcasting, I would have been in and out, but without that the operations on the ground take quite a bit longer. After I do finally get my parts on each of my toons, I do try to attack back but an i100 DH is no match for an i120 seasoned PvP hunter. He finishes me off and his friends are camping me again before long.

So, I make a toon on his server to say hello, also try to make light of it, and he’s like “enjoy your vacation.” I tell him I am not broadcasting. “Yes your are,” he stammers. “We are all reporting all your toons. We saw you broadcasting to attack the boss.” The Gorilla? That’s not attackable. But regardless, there was nothing I could do to convince this guy I was playing by the rules. At bottom, he insisted, multiboxing is dead without key broadcasting so therefore I MUST have been using broadcasting. “Enjoy your ban.”

The effect here throws into light a fundamental bias in the community. Regardless of whether multiboxers are good or bad for the game, the people who hate them the most are typically the people who suffer them the least, and probably benefit from things like the bushels of herbs they gather. I think that, while there are genuine complaints to be lodged against some multiboxers, or even any of them at one time or another, everyone should think a little harder about these posts to the effect “With multiboxing gone, has Blizzard finally saved Shadowlands?” Really? Was your raid that bad because, as you were doing it with a flask you got slightly cheaper, some guy was in Nazmir farming Riverbud? Was your arena experience a mess because someone beat you out for Reins of the Cobalt Primordial Direhorn on the BMAH last night, and you’re just certain that person (whose name you never saw) was a multiboxer?

TBH, I think the people most entitled to complain are the old geezers who enjoy passing their time picking herbs and collecting things from the auction houses. Otherwise, multiboxed farming is only bad in principle because it has an effect on the price of materials, and to some extent the abundance of gold in circulation (all those cloth farms making pants and vendoring them). But, even then, from the standpoint of a player who wants to spend his extra gold on tokens, the effects are probably minor.

On the other hand, Blizzard has just handed multibox haters a cudgel, and at the same time made multiboxing a crime ipso facto–there is nothing I can do to convince anyone who accuses me of key broadcasting that I am not doing so. This will generate a lot of accusations from players salivating to get rid of those multiboxers they blame for ruining the game. Some of those accusations may get innocent people banned. So, I repeat from my earlier post: Blizzard had better have a way to track key broadcasting and verify for themselves when it is happening. Otherwise, they have merely created a scapegoat for any real problems with the game.

7 Likes

I think this is a great thing.

Sorry but after being corpse camped by a multiboxer I have no pity for multiboxxers. All cheaters. Now ssd they need to play the game like the rest of us. How terrible eh?

46 Likes

People that’re that hateful and toxic should have their anonymity removed and held accountable. Nobody wants them. These kinds of things have chain reactions and contribute to greater effects that could cause detriment to the mind and eventually lead to suicide. Reckful for example.

2 Likes

So you’re upset you couldn’t beat 3 other players by yourself, that not only outgeared you but outplayed you by your own admission.

Are you a troll who actually opposes multiboxing or are we supposed to feel sorry you couldn’t buy your way into a win?

20 Likes

Lol, I wasn’t trying to beat them, just trying to get some more gold so that, one day, I may be able to grab a Swift Zulian Tiger from the AH. I have many, many toons, all geared to an extent that will let me farm the Crown Chemical Co. for another mount I do not yet have. But that’s pretty much it. No hard feelings, just wanting to voice a concern that we’re now going to have a lot of unfounded accusations thrown at legitimate players who are just different.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter. THEY were trying to beat you, and you were in warmode.

You lost.

BTW i got the Zulian Tiger the right way. It’s sad it’s on the BMAH but at least it’s prohibitably expensive.

3 Likes

I had barely started playing by the time the Swift Zulian Tiger was removed from the game… is that OK? And yes, I know I was in War Mode. I expect to be attacked from time to time. Even the camping doesn’t bug me in principle, as long as it’s not too protracted. It’s really the unfounded accusations that I want to point out. Read the second half of the post.

Thrall on a stick you guys can write some novels lol

7 Likes

Yeah openly admitting you mult-box for ease of gold to get a mount you want will get you no sympathy. Also proud and legit owner of a ZG mount.

11 Likes

Blizz has already stated that alt-tabbing multiboxing is fine. You have nothing to worry about as long as you don’t use a third party broadcasting software.

Aren’t all owners of the mount legit or was it duped?

2 Likes

This is how I feel as well. I’ve had a lot of issues from multiboxers in PvP over the years and I’m ecstatic to see that gone.

5 Likes

Next time this happens, just let it go. Players get stomped in pvp all day long. Then you try to talk to them for dubious reasons? I don’t get it.

1 Like

I feel like people are just making this up or at the very least are overexaggerating the frequency of it happening.

5 Likes

Ill one shot them all

But it’s not gone?

The Swift Zulian Tiger is available on BMAH for anyone who did not earn it, whether as current content or by farming the instance in later expansions. It has since been removed from the game after the instances were revamped in 4.1. I don’t see why it’s any less “legitimate” to buy it on BMAH–I’d much rather hit up a legacy raid for it, like I did the newer versions of each boss’s mount, than spend roughly $1600 worth of tokens’ gold. I do appreciate the respect of raiders who get mounts in current content, of course.

Quite literally my first experience going into Drustvar as a new BFA 8.3 player was getting killed multiple times over because of some Multi-boxers farming Porcupines and Lizards.

6 Likes

It didn’t happen most of the time, but those times stand out in memory. Having someone playing 5 shaman simultaneously camping my corpse for an hour isn’t something I forgot.

Edit: And I do mean simultaneously. The keystroke broadcasting crap is the issue. Someone alt tabbing is no big deal.

2 Likes

Well, @Poteusa, it’s wasn’t me. I don’t do the PvP thing much, but this team happened to be in War Mode. I know how it can stick out–which is probably what gives multiboxers such a bad name. But I have not abused my powers in this way.