Open Question: An Alternative to Queues?

No layering.

33 Likes

Iā€™m a GM on Faerlina. Our guild has 6 raids that are clearing BWL. Every single raid is struggling because of queue times. Last Tuesday, we told people to queue up at 5pm for a 9pm raid. There was one person who queued up at exactly 5pm and was still 20 minutes late to raid. 4hr20min queue. This isnā€™t some 30-60 minute queue that can be worked around. Itā€™s destroying raids. Iā€™ve spoken to GMs on Faerlina on Horde and Alliance and there are several raids that just canā€™t happen because people canā€™t show up. Itā€™s a miserable experience to get disconnected for going to the bathroom, only to come back to another 4hr+ queue.

I understand that this will tank the black lotus market, but we kind of need that too. The lotus market is getting well over 200g for flasks. Not that we need it for BWL, but it will get worse once AQ and Naxx comes out.

I know none of this is a popular opinion, but a queue size like this is worse than layering. I would just be curious how world bosses, AQ war effort, etc., would be handled.

34 Likes

Please no. As a member of Grobbulus, it absolutely destroys the community.

26 Likes

Iā€™d say do it.

This shouldā€™ve been a serious consideration from the get-go when queues were reaching 3 hours, 4 hours, and 5+ hours.

Those realms that continue to have 3+ hours should have more than 2 layers to accommodate the player base.

6 Likes

Yes.

Iā€™m not even on a super popular realm and I feel for those who are frustratingly waiting. Maybe layering had a harder affect at the beginning while everyone was leveling. Iā€™m optimistic and thinking getting to play has more pros than layering cons.

5 Likes

Yes, please remove spell batching.

20 Likes

As a Whitemane player whoā€™s considering leaving the server to avoid these ridiculous queue times. I welcome the return of layering.

I prioritize being able to play the damn game over preventing the abuse of layering we previously saw.

23 Likes

Playing on Whitemane, please yes add layering back temporarily for a temporary issue. Thank you for your communication on the issue!

15 Likes

Yes please add layers again. Rushing home to sit in a 4+ hour queue to raid is miserable.

I personally have left work early in the last few weeks in order to raid. The times that I left half an hour or an hour early, I ended up missing the start of raid. It was only when I started dipping out 2 or 3 hours ahead of time (~6 hours before the start of raid), that I actually was able to log on before the raid started.

9 Likes

Revert the transfers

8 Likes

The only con to this is devaluing some of the herbs and resources, which will actually be beneficial for players stocking up for AQ and Naxx.

4 Likes

No. Layers are terrible and ruin the game far worse than having a queue does.

32 Likes

@Kaivax

Use queues to convince people to transfer and distribute population across servers as it was in vanilla > facilitate mega servers and game exploitation via layers

Queues are the only impetus for people to transfer. If someone doesnā€™t want to deal with a queue, they should transfer to one of the numerous servers that would benefit from it. When queues were bad at launch after layering was removed, you didnā€™t just decide to turn layers back on, you left transfers open to spread out players. While the real world has undergone a shift, the game world hasnā€™t. Players should transfer to avoid queues; layers will be abused, exploited, and with paid transfers will impact non layered servers.

Many people promoting layers in this thread arenā€™t even discussing queues directly, but rather resource availability. Going forward, what will be the rational for anyone to remain on anything outside of mega-servers?

Leave faction based free transfers open to spread the population out over more servers. There should not be mega servers and completely one sided servers; these are antithetical to how vanilla was designed. Thus all the crying about no black lotus, RTV, too much gold generated on servers, fraction imbalance, ect ect. It is all generated by players server stacking - which this will simply facilitate.

My friends and I initially rolled on Faer, when queues remained long and transfers were offered, we took them. Obviously everyone will clamor for layers, they reduce queue times and make farming easy thanks to exploiting. Yet this disenfranchises lower population servers that could benefit from transfers and augments gameplay severely from vanilla.

I have a few questions concerning layering:

1. How will world bosses be handled with layers?

2. Will there be any systems in place to prevent layer exploits? I believe an increased duration between layer hopping was added previously to help prevent this, will that be the case?

3. Will players on layered servers be barred from transferring to avoid taking advantage of layers then switching servers to profit?

Facilitating massive servers will continue to generate issues.

Also, how will this input be considered? In reviewing over 1000 posts currently there are many for and against. What factors will be taken into consideration from this post?

Finally, what is temporary? My company of 20,000 is currently 98% work from home. Our C-suite has indicated this will likely be extended past April 30th by quite awhile, and is changing company policy to facilitate permanent continuation of wfh going forward. Within the senior leadership team of my department, weā€™ve decided to allow our 150 employees to remain wfh indefinitely should they choose. Of course there will be a reduction of players when jobs that require employees being physically on site reopen; but for many others this has catalyzed a new norm.

It is also highly likely a large portion of the population contributing to the queues are students, who will not be returning to school for roughly 4-5 months.

What will an acceptable queue be going forward on mega servers? Two hours? One? Half? At what point does the temporary measure end?

When you do implement it and use this thread as justification, at the least make an extremely strict ruleset:

1. Everyone starts on Layer 1 until completely filled, then players begin filling Layer 2.

2. You cannot switch layers. Group invites will not cause a layer change. If you allow them to, it should only be once every hour.

3. Instances are all on the same layer, no matter what. Upon zoning, everyone is on the instance layer. Upon zoning out you are back on the layer you entered on.

4. The only way to change a layer is when availability opens. If you are on Layer 2, and Layer 1 opens, you are immediately changed to Layer 1.

18 Likes

For some weird reason people like you are ok with having 10 times the amount of players the world was originally planned for on a realmā€¦ but god forbid they double the resources! Game would be unplayable now right?

15 Likes

Out of curiosity, is this the only option? I know some of the characters logged in and playing are usingā€¦ otherā€¦ measures to direct their characters and keep them logged in. Iā€™m wondering if this is something that has been examined given the recent surge in play time.

1 Like

I am sure it would help queue times, but I fear it would send a wrong message to the community.

That even if Blizzard gives the tools to fix problems themselves, they know they can just ignore the tool and complain long-and-hard enough and you will eventually cave to them.

7 Likes

For those of us on Whitemane, to HAVE to start logging on at 2pm, to raid at 7pm, is ridiculous and unsustainable.

Please add whatever amount of layers you need to so that we can play this game. Economy be damned.

8 Likes

Please ADD layering. As a weekly raider I have to login a full 5 hours before raid times to play the game. These are the kinds of wait times that have people considering cancelling their subs.

I would also recommend giving people the option to revert their server transfers.

5 Likes

I say no layers, you dug your grave by playing on an overpopulated server

30 Likes

Sorry but these queues are making the game borderline unplayable, and layering would alleviate that to a degree.

7 Likes