Only WOW crashing my PC

Post a DXDIAG

1 Like

I play on a Dell G5 5500, 16G RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. I realized today that my problem with WoW shutting my computer down has been, and only is, in Shadowlands…I played the game in the past on my other laptops with no problems. I thought when I got this new one (coincidentally just as Shadowlands was released), it was the laptop. However, after playing many other games, and playing WoW up to Shadowlands without any issues, I’m calling Blizzard out for something wrong with the Shadowlands expac…

I’ve been wrestling with this for two years. I’ve done everything I can find on Google, anything I can think of. No solution…

I literally just took a character in the last month from 1 to 50, no problems. Went from 50-60 doing only pet battles (thank you, Words of Wisdom), no problems. I’ve run my daughter through older dungeons/raids, no problems. As soon as I actually started doing Shadowlands content, my laptop was crashing 3-4 times a session. I’ve capped my fps to 60, set my graphics levels to high, at most. I don’t feel that my laptop should need that, though. It should be able to handle so much more. Regardless, even with all I have done to tweak things and make it not shut down, it does in Shadowlands content. I had to run the same damned scenario 3 times the other day, because my computer kept shutting down.

That’s a lot to ask for that card.

If the computer is shutting down, the problem is not software-related.

For the past several years I’ve been using this method to open the game. Once I started using this, I stopped having so many issues with being dumped out of the game.

Out side of freeze frames during heavy visuals like in raids, etc., I rarely have any disconnect issues any longer. I also found that if I use the admin option to start Wow, I also need to use the admin option to open up discord as they seem to conflict with one another if they are not opened the same way.

Someone in my guild told me about this before I started doing it. He worked in the field of IT and did game support on the side. This is exactly what he suggested and it works for me all the time.

1 Like

Not really how admin mode works. Admin mode just disables UAC and allows the app to mess with some system settings, mess with system files, the registry and “locked down” folders that the user level doesn’t have permissions to mess with, etc etc. It doesn’t really do anything else that would make a game run smoother. All it would do for WoW is allow the game to do something like write logs in the System32 folder if it wanted to, unless WoW was made to mess with system settings. WoW isn’t designed with admin level access in mind, therefore, there is no advantage to running it in admin mode.

Basically, this is a longwinded way of me saying that you’re falling for placebo and tricking yourself with a confirmation bias.

That card isn’t as hefty as you seem to think it is. Is it a slouch? Not exactly, but it’s not going to be pushing massive numbers either. Looks like a 1080p built in display, so I’d guess you’ll see some dips below 60fps in higher resolution areas. Reason that matters is because…

To me, that sounds like a problem with thermals. As you spend time in Shadowlands content, those textures, models, and lighting effects will put the most strain on your system, because they’re the highest quality in the game, being the newest content. That extra strain sounds like it’s enough to cause thermal problems in your laptop, to the point that it shuts itself down to protect itself from damage.

Try cranking your graphic settings way, way down. Every setting as low as it will go. Then give it another shot. If it still shuts down, then you can put them back. Ideally, run HWMonitor in the background while you’re testing so it can record logs of temps.

1 Like

But it has been working for me. Placebo or not.

Or your brain just isn’t remembering all the times it didn’t work, and you still got DCed or had stuttering. Running WoW as admin isn’t much different than doing a rain dance in Florida during the rainy season: It’s a coin toss every afternoon. Point is, it doesn’t do anything for WoW.

No need to get nasty because you disbelieve me.

1 Like

Getting nasty? I’m not. I’m looking at the facts and using knowledge as an actual programmer… Running as admin doesn’t do anything for a game that is NOT designed around needing it. Admin mode is for elevated system privileges, as in reading/writing to protected areas, not for performance.

So again, you’re just correlating unrelated things and forming a superstitious bias out of it. Like someone blowing on dice for good luck, just because it worked a few times in the past and their brain associated the two together. You’d have empirically better “luck” with just simply restarting your PC and leaving your browser/discord closed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.