Only running 20 fps

5770 hasn’t had new drivers since like 2014.

Make sure vsync isn’t enabled since it makes the game drop the FPS to a number that can be evenly split into your refresh rate (60hz monitor would be, 30,20,15,10 etc)

Also select the GPU in the graphics settings, it might be running on the intel graphics for some reason. Leave the task manager up and start playing, alt-tab over to the task manager and see which GPU is being used, it will have a “3D load” in the task manager, or history of one.

1 Like

I do like MacOS from a software standpoint, but overall I’m not willing to support Apple as a company at this current point in time. Their stance on right to repair and all the little nasty traps they engineer into their products to deter repair attempts is pretty disgusting to me.

Currently my main machine is Win 7. I have a Win 10 laptop that I almost never use, and a Linux box as well. But I havent bought any Apple products in about 10 years once they started down that path.

Seems such a shame to me because they were my favorite back in the 90s and 2000s.

2 Likes

Good for you :+1:

You’d really have to define what you mean by better. EOL is worse than not, for an average user, with regards to many things. Of course, we’d have to define just what those are for any meaningful conversation :slight_smile:

If that’s your take, then have at it! I’m not a Windows nor Microsoft fanboy by any means, but there are some notable advantages of Windows 10, and some incredibly obvious reasons they would focus on that over older version, not least of which is WSL, but that doesn’t really matter for this current discussion.

It is in the sense that an average user might not have to worry about support or security updates, but certainly, there may be advantages to using older operating systems on older hardware.

In the case of the 11 year old graphics card, the HD 5770, I’d be interested in the rendering requirements for WoW Classic (as it’s a newer client), and potentially Direct-X support, as a starting point for trouble shooting.

the thing is is the computer runs every other game great with high settings on too

5770 is above the minimum requirements, it should run the game at “classic” settings at a playable framerate.

Then its likely a issue with the settings in WoW and not your PC. This game runs on a potato. Although I highly doubt you are running newer games at high settings on a 11 year old graphics card that hasn’t had a driver update since 2014. But it should run wow just fine.

Fair enough.

The min. hardware requirements for WoW Classic state Radeon HD 4850.

And the 5770 exceeds those requirements.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/ATI-Radeon-HD-4850-vs-AMD-HD-5770/m7790vsm7752

What is a playable framerate?

Play WoW on your laptop.

To me? 40+ under heavy aoe.

That’s up to the user.

I prefer 100+ because I have a high refresh rate monitor, but any PC with an intel dual core or better from when the “core i” series was released or after and a mid range graphics card from 2009 or later should get you 60+ questing at least at classic settings.

Even on a GTX 660 and a Xeon from 2009 i can get 144fps at 1080p while questing at max settings and get 25+ in SW with 600 people waiting on an ony buff.

1 Like

Give this a try:

1. Quit WoW and the Battlenet launcher.
  2. Open your WoW folder.
  3. Open your classic folder.
  4. Drag Cache, Interface, and WTF to your Desktop.
  5. Start WoW Classic again and test.

See if that helps, you may have some bad cache, settings, or addons. You move them to the Desktop because Windows sometimes tries to prevent you from accidentally deleting program files.

Relevant WoW support page:

Read the article, it goes into more detail. They also say to rename the folders instead of moving them.

They also say to try resetting your console variables with:

/console cvar_default

But do this after you’ve tried the other stuff.

1 Like

It wasn’t meant to be a subjective question. The OPs system exceeds the min. requirements, but not by much. You may prefer 100+ fps. Is 60+ fps the minimum playable framerate? Is 20+?

In any case, I did a search for “WoW Classic Radeon HD 5770” and found some interesting results.

e.g.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/world-of-warcraft-classic/19048

To best enjoy the revamped version of World of Warcraft, your computer should meet the minimum requirements of a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or AMD Radeon HD 4850 or Intel HD Graphics 4000 GPU for a more complete experience without computer crashes or framerate issues. Additionally, meeting the recommended requirements of a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon R9 280 will give you the intended experience of World of Warcraft at its very prime

FWIW, I have a Radeon RX 580, and I do not play on maximum settings.

check in game too see if its running off the video card, for whatever reason I had to manually select mine when I first launched the game and was having the same issue.

What is your settings at in game? Also, the ground clutter setting under Environment is extremely demanding if set above 5.

everything was set under the “Classic Settings” (3), I just got Win 7 installed on this computer and installing classic right now. Win 7 already seems better though because it was actually able to get the most recent amd app instead of the old catalyst control center that looks like its for windows xp and earlier

you should stop playing in a potato

This is why I’m still running 8.1. It’s been more stable than 10; however, my computer has a huge FPS issue with any game.

I’ve had to hunt down obscure .ini and other files for games because they literally give my computer a “sky is the limit” on FPS.

I’m convinced it’s my crap GPU. If I let it, it would try to run WoW at 300 FPS. I watch my core temps like a hawk.

dont listen to that. ive run windows 10 since it was offered for 8.1 users to download. its the most stable and one of the most secure windows i have ever used. ill tell ya what windows sucked. vista and ME. now those were trash, fierce trash in fact.

1 Like

@Elkhorn I have always preferred Windows 7 just because I think it looks nicer because of the the aero glass taskbar, and thats not me saying that windows 10 is bad by any means, I just prefer 7. But Vista and ME were terrible yes. Vista sucked because halfway through development they had to scrap it completely and start fresh and rushed themselves to release an operating system that would bluescreen when launching solitaire. But ME barely has an excuse, it was just bad

1 Like

Windows 10 isn’t the issue most likely. It could be a hardware compatibility you have with windows 10. I’m not a fan of the way they made me relearn all my basic understandings of windows from a technical perspective, and windows 10 cant be used for my job (mainly because the software was written 5-15 years ago and has not and will not be updated).

For a home desktop I would stick with windows 10 unless you have an absolute need to run windows 7. It is at EOL and not receiving updates anymore. Downgrading may fix your FPS issue, but that will likely be due to the fresh install of windows and drivers and not the operating system itself.

Personally I would just spend $60-80 on a used GPU and call it a day, unless you can’t afford that at the moment due to the current circumstances. Be careful when buying on ebay though, as there are hundreds of scam GPUs that are old GTS 450 cards with hacked bios to appear to be something else.

You said your tower has a 3.5ghz CPU. What is it? Because if thats a core 2 duo or older its not going to run very well, WoW is very IPC and single thread heavy.

Try uninstalling WoW and redownload everything. Run a “scan & repair” from the Battle.net app. You could also try to reset the user settings to their defaults and see what happens.

WoW Classic runs better than vanilla, because it’s based on the 7.3.5 client’s architecture (eg. multithreaded, better GPU utilization, etc), instead of the plain 1.12 client.