Only BFA dungeons available?

I just came back to WoW after being gone a few months, and I didn’t keep up with what’s new in Shadowlands. I’ve been leveling some new characters and I see you can use LFG at level 10, and the first dungeon unlocked is a BFA one. After progressing a bit, it’s still just BFA dungeons. Can we not use LFG for the vanilla dungeons anymore?

A couple characters I hit level 10 on I took them to see Chromie and leveled in a past expansion, and those dungeons unlocked are the ones to that content. Why is it different for vanillas dungeons?

1 Like

BfA is now the default leveling path from 10-50. (And the only one that scales all the way to 50 without Chromie Time.) So, if you want access to dungeon queues for other expansions, you’ll need to be in Chromie Time for that expansion.

It should be noted that once you’ve turned on Chromie Time for one expansion, all expansions will scale to 50. So, picking a certain expansion at Chromie doesn’t stop you from questing in other expansions. And, of course, you can change which expansion you’re timewalking any time you want before level 50. You can select a new expansion without turning Chromie Time off.

1 Like

The old vanilla dungeons are under Cataclysm in chromie time.
All the vanilla zones were revamped with Cata so technically, their content falls under that xpac.

9 Likes

I am level 50 but really need to still do Legion Dungeons for professions and achievements. I don’t fully understand how Chromie works. Do you have to have a certain rep with Chromie or have to finish all the Chromie quest chain before you can get other dungeons in group finder besides BFA.
Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

You just talk to Chromie in Orgrimmar (just outside the Embassy) and pick the desired expansion. No prerequisites other than to have a character level at least 10 and less than 50. You can go back to Chromie & change expansions anytime you like or just turn it off if you need it off for some reason.

Since you are level 50, you won’t be able to access Chromie Time any longer on that character. But I suspect at level 50 you can go back & solo Legion 5 man dungeons (you could before the Shadowlands pre-patch was released, I don’t recall trying any of them since).

Edit: i took a level 50 alt into Eye of Azshara & killed the first boss. Super easy. Character is decently geared - iLvl 94 - but even with lower level gear it wouldn’t have been much of a fight.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Big help.

So i have a character below 50 and Chromie at embasy tells me Icecrown needs help. I need help also what do I do. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Icecrown needs help is what Chromie tells characters who are 50+ (you go to Icecrown to get started on Shadowlands). I’m not sure why you’re seeing that if you’re not yet 50. I’ve heard you can go to Shadowlands at level 48, so maybe Chromie doesn’t let people start Chromie Time if they’re 48 or higher? OTOH, the initial Shadowlands quest A Chilling Summons (which is what sends you to Icecrown) requires level 50, so I’m not sure how you’re supposed to start Shadowlands any earlier than that.

I don’t have an alt that’s level 48 or 49 to check any of that out personally. Closest I’ve got is level 45, and at that level you still get the Chromie Time options; she doesn’t say anything about Icecrown.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense, good to know. Thanks everyone for explaining!

The quest pops up at 48. I just made a trial character to test something else and used the hearthstone to skip the tutorial. The quest popped up as soon as ported into Stormwind.

My experience on the beta was that once that quest was in your log, you couldn’t turn on Chromie Time. (Although you weren’t kicked out of it if you were already in it and still below 50.)

So, if you are in that 48-49 range, you could try abandoning “A Chilling Summons” and see if you can access Chromie Time then.

Edit: Tried to abandon the quest on a trial character. It got Chromie’s text to change, but still didn’t let me turn it on. The quest also kept popping back up a few seconds later. It’s possible that Chromie Time doesn’t work with trial characters, and that’s why I got her to give me the timewalking dialog without the option to turn it on, but it’s also possible you just can’t turn it back on once you’ve hit 48. So, I’d call it inconclusive, but likely not good news.

For people who don’t have Shadowlands, this might not be a problem as you don’t get “A Chilling Summons.”

1 Like

Someone just posted in another thread complaining that they couldn’t get back into Chromie Time at level 49, so I guess that’s confirmation.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m on my mage alt, trying to get the class title - dungeons, I need to do. Can’t use LFG for anything other than BFA. So, I went to Chromie at level 49. They have my mage listed in Icecrown - I never chose it - my mage is just old - lol. I’ve been doing the Legion quests. But I’m stuck with only BFA LFG, can’t get Chromie to let me switch to Legion.

If they would switch it back where we can LFG no matter where we are for any dungeon that would fix a lot of problems.

I don’t get why why Acti/Blizz is pushing BFA so dang hard. It was their worse expansion pack. And newbies are forced to level in it. That’s a great way to lose new players IMO.

Once you are eligible for the Shadowlands starter quest, it gets a bit harder. I have been able to abandon the Shadowlands starter quest and then very quickly turn on Chromie Time on characters in the 48-49 range. (Once you hit 50, though, Chromie Time is not accessible.)

Alternately, once you hit 50, you’ll get a small damage buff in Legion content, which should be enough to solo the normal versions of dungeons at least.

1 Like

is it possible to complete all the campaigns before 50 so we can get them all or just, 10-50 cant be one zone like outlands

There are literally tens of thousands of quests in WoW. Even doing just a small percentage of them will get you leveled to 50 long before you complete all the xpacs unless you turn off xp.

There are basically two ways to level up to 50.

The first way is to just follow the quest lines from your racial starting area and follow the quest chains you are presented with. Hovering your cursor over a zone on your map will show you the level range that the zone will grant xp for.

The second way involves first leveling a character to 50 and completing the BfA intro quest line to the point where you are shown the portal to Org or SW.
That will open up Chromie for you any character who is at least level 10.
You can talk to him to select an xpac to do all your leveling in. That’s called chromie time and will scale mobs, xp, and gear drops in that xpac to whatever your current level is.
You can also talk to chromie at any time to either switch to a different xpac or to drop out of chromie time entirely.

There is also a Loremaster achievement that awards the Loremaster title. It involves completing the majority of quests for your faction in all vanilla, BC, WotLK, Cata, and Pandaren zones. It is an account wide meta achievement and obtaining the subordinate Loremaster achievement for any given zone can be done by any character on the account.

Wowhead has a tool that can track what quests you are missing for a given zone but may people use the two Addons Wholly and Grail to track their progress towards Loremaster in-game.
People also often do their Loremaster quests on a max level character just to blow through the quests needed for the title.

1 Like

You can turn off experience gains any time you want for a small gold fee by talking to Stahtz (Orgrimmar) or Behsten (Stormwind). The same NPC will turn it back on when you are ready to level again. If you want to work through the old content in Chromie Time, I suggest turning it off at 47 to avoid dealing with the Shadowlands starter quest.

New player here, I also wanna do other dungeons. Lord, I just wanna do ragefire chasm. How do I get out of this expansion and what all will that effect?

Will all the quests on the map change? And if not, how do I tell what quests are expansion specific?

Unfortunately, there isn’t any indicator of what expansion a quest is for. In most cases, it will be fairly obvious because a given zone will be from a specific expansion. Things only get confusing in areas that are mixed timeline. Major Cities are one example, but you also have some zones with different phases, so which expansion it’s in depends on the phase it’s set to. By default they’ll usually be set to the most recent expansion’s phase. In these zones, you’ll see a chat bubble icon on the map marking an NPC that can change your phase.

Chromie Time mostly sets older expansions so that they scale all the way to 50 and also will determine which dungeons you see in the group finder. From your post in another thread, it looks like you haven’t unlocked Chromie Time yet, so you won’t have access to those features.

That doesn’t stop you from doing quests from other expansions, but you won’t be able to turn on scaling or use the group finder outside of BfA dungeons. If you want to run Ragefire Chasm you’ll either need to find a group manually or outlevel it enough to solo it. It’s a bit of a weird case. While in general, “Vanilla” content will start giving you a substantial overlevel bonus at level 35, for some reason, RFC uses Mists of Pandaria scaling (I assume it’s a bug due to the RFC map being used for other MoP content. I reported it long ago, but checked today and it still seems to be using MoP scaling.) So, for MoP scaling, you’ll start getting a modest overlevel bonus at 40. (Enough to solo RFC.)

If you want to level outside of BfA, you’re main option is going to be Legion, as it will scale to 45. While you’ll start seeing an XP penalty after that, you should still get enough XP to get high enough for Shadowlands. To start Legion, go to a Warchief’s Command Board, and select the “Broken Shore” option. (If you don’t see it, pick up some of the other quests on the board to unbury it and then abandon them once you’ve picked up the Legion one. Legion is usually one of the top level options, though.)

If you aren’t in a hurry to level and just want to experience some of the other expansions, let us know which one and we can point you towards the proper starter quests so you don’t have to trial and error all of the quests available in the major cities. If you go that route, you’ll need to decide if you want to lock your level to keep things challenging, or if you’re okay one shotting stuff. (The second one has the advantage that you’ll be able to solo group content, but some people get bored one shotting stuff.) If you want to go the XP off route, you’ll need to lock by 34 for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath content, 39 for high level Cataclysm (Vashj’ir, Hyjal, Uldum, Deepholm, Twilight Highlands) and Mists of Pandaria. 44 for Warlords of Draenor, and 49 for Legion. (Although the bonus for Legion is pretty modest at 50, so while stuff will die quickly, it won’t necessarily be one-shot territory so I wouldn’t bother turning off XP for Legion.)

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for the very detailed response. This helps tremendously.

where is Chrommie found in SW for us allies?