One Roleplayer's opinion to improve things in WoW - #1. Enhancing Character Creation

I am just going to add something crucial about TRP3 and any other add on like it like XRP and MRP.

These add ons hinder a GM’s ability when answering harassment tickets.

I have received information from a Senior GM stating this.

In short, because the add ons mess with the texts and how your chat box appears, all sorts of weird coding comes across when GMs answer your tickets to look up said harassment. As someone that has experienced a lot of harassment in game and put in numerous tickets where the harasser has NOT suffered any consequence, it was very likely because of these add ons.

Blizzard customer service doesn’t exactly have a stellar reputation when dealing with harassment, especially on role play servers. I wouldn’t put it past them that when a GM received the tickets, after seeing all of these coding issues, they likely put their automated response and moved on without actually addressing the ticket.

Again, these add ons have an actual effect on a GMs ability to read chat. I still have my emails confirming this. Why Blizzard continues to allow the use of these add on is pretty appalling. In my opinion they allow it because of money. People using the add on > people getting harassed.

I agree. And in peace it is easier to quest.

Peace eventually gets boring though, which also probably explains all war throughout all history.

A lot of people figure they can just have peace when they are forced to rest in it.

Without knowing the limitations, I would somehow like to turn off the text from emotes and so when using the various gestures it just shows the character doing them without spamming local zone area for all to see.

Lots of hand movement is good.

1 Like

People often overlook the significance of roleplayers.

The fact that all MMO’s were once called MMORPG’s and have their roots in the concept of roleplay aside… Roleplayers are often some of the most loyal subscribers that just keep coming back to play out stories and populate cities. Even through a content drought, a game with decent customization that keeps their roleplayers happy will see thriving communities. Look at FFXIV on either Balmung or Mateus for instance. It’s also worth mentioning that RP’ers often overlap with various other communities, many roleplayers are avid collectors and raiders, some are even PvP’ers.

There’s also the fact that character customization helps even non-roleplayers connect with their characters better and make it all feel more personalized for them. There’s genuinely no way they could go wrong by embracing the RPG elements of their game, and it’s bound to bring some people back.

If they did this and added player housing? I think I’d ignore every other MMO permanently and go back to living in WoW like I did back in 2005.

3 Likes

Well, that took a lot longer to finish than I thought it would…the curses of life getting in the way. But, the original post has been completely updated and I believe I’m pretty much ready to move on to the next suggestion post. While I do not expect I will have made everyone happy (simply impossible to do and it wasn’t my goal anyways), I did try to cover as many bases as I could, especially with the Roleplay Sheet suggestion with the feedback that came in.

Ultimately I still do not expect any of this to be added just because I typed up what I did. But, I would rather try and fail than never try to begin with. Plus I can find other uses for all this outside of just World of Warcraft and this all gave me a chance to do some trial & error.

Now for some overdue replies

To Rreifren

Even if your intention was to be downer, you would have to try pretty hard to get me down in the dumps. :slight_smile:

The necessity of the Roleplay Sheet is born out of the probability of something happening at some point in time to TRP3, not out of predicting that something will happen some time soon. Ultimately in the end however, it’s really meant to be an alternative option to using Roleplay Addons or a backup for those that do use them.

I actually really liked this idea, especially if the Character Creation screen gets to the point that it gets really cluttered with new races in the future (if more are even added anyways.) I added both your version and a version of yours with some light additions on my part to the original post with proper credit given for it.

:slight_smile: :+1:

To Hyperspace

That would be a pretty cool feature if they managed to do that with Jewelry. So many new possible Transmogs that could be made!

To Faldorian

As I’ve said before - So long as Blizzard provides us Roleplayers the tools we need, we’re pretty well capable of taking care of ourselves in the long run. If I had to throw the most hail mary pass of suggestions to Blizzard, it would be to create the tools to allow Players to create their own Quests, Dungeons, & Raids (with no gear rewards of course because that would be very easily abused.) Could you imagine how much use the Roleplay Community - no, the whole World of Warcraft Community could get out of such a thing if it was possible to add?

Yeah it would have rough spots because of…People being People…But just imagine all the good that could be achieved with that.

Yup and when I was coming up with my suggestion for Background Traits in section 5 of the original post. It was probably the only situation where Roleplayers & Non-Roleplayers would all equally benefit from it across the board with each other. I know it’s a lot of work I’m asking for the Developers to take upon themselves. But, that is why they get paid. To develop this game, to make it better for as many People as possible, and overall keep Players wanting to play the game as long as possible. Hopefully we got some really cool stuff coming down the road that goes well beyond our expectations.

And with all that out of the way, time to rest.

1 Like

The MMO that was closest to achieving this was Peria Chronicles. Sadly, it was canceled mid-production and players were upset, mainly because of the deep creation and crafting features they were looking forward to. Here’s a post where I mentioned it in some detail:

1 Like

Blizzard, hire this man and take notes.

1 Like

Oh man that hurts my soul to read. An MMO like that could have been a massive splash and created enough waves to force the larger MMOs to react & adapt to such a feature being on offer in a competitor. I know Neverwinter had something akin to that as well, but I never played with it a whole lot (had a horrid Computer at that time.) Though sadly it seems Neverwinter ended up getting rid of it’s Forge mode or whatever they called it (not sure of the reason, I will have to look it up later.) Which is rather sad as it gave the game a very unique feature - give or take for the most part.

Isn’t there an addon that does all that?

Yes there is. But, should something happen to cause the Addon(s) to stop working (IE: Game Updates, Addon Creator no longer having time to work on the addon/interest to work on the addon, hosting websites going down, alternate platforms no longer hosting Addons for the game (look at what happened with Twitch for an example.) Then we Roleplayers would lose one of our best supporting tools. So, what I basically proposed is a basic Roleplay sheet that covers the usual basis for most Roleplayers, thus ultimately baking part of Total RP3, MyRolePlay, and etc…directly into World of Warcraft itself. In turn this gives Roleplayers that DON’T like using addons some additional tools to work with in game.

Back in the earlier days of Star Trek Online, you could do this. Sort of.
I think it was star trek…
Anywhoooo…

Some missions were AWESOME!!

But, the most popular kinds of user created content were “FARM scenarios”. You would be faced off against waves of high level enemies but the NPCs would spawn in a stasis field, making them helpless. The player would just Pew-Pew to his hearts content racking up XP, Loot, and reputation.

It is human nature to take the easy path, or if none exists, to make one.

1 Like

+1 for paragraphs, but unfortunately no shirt, no shoes, no service.

Is a Tall Dwarf the same as a Short Human? Asking for a friend. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Indeed, I am curious as well, is a tall gnome taller than a short dwarf?

2 Likes

This would make creating a character time consuming as hell. And very few rp so I don’t see these changes really being necessary

1 Like

I do have shoes on, thus I should at least get half the service. :smiley:

just use trp if you want to be legolas and not a void elf. like thats what its for literally

The only aspect that would extend Character Creation time would be choosing the Background Traits and going through the Base Races/Subraces. The Roleplay Sheet would ideally be optional to fill out in Character Creation or when in game.

It seems like a waste of resources tbh

1 Like

Suggestions 1, 2, 3, & 5 are all geared towards creating greater Player attachment to their Characters, especially for those more casual players who are less interested in mechanics & min-maxing. When a Player is more invested in their Character, their attachment to that Character will grow, which in turn means they will have a stronger emotional attachment to their Account which incentivizes them to continue to pay for their subscriptions (especially in a market where there are Free to Play options that tend to offer more in the way of features compared to World of Warcraft.)

Suggestion 4 I can see the argument for not shooting for right now, but it does show that there is a path Blizzard could take if they wish to offer more playable races in the future while cutting down on screen clutter.

Ultimately this all up to Blizzard, they’re just suggestions. If they deem all of that a waste of resources…Well, that is their call.