Once sharding is allowed in Classic..

Sure. If they keep it beyond their stated time frame, I will definitely post that it should be removed. I only want it to be at launch.

1 Like

And any time those obstacles (other players) get in your way?

1 Like

Beyond the starting zones there won’t be hundreds of them all after the same things as me at the same time. After the starting zones, they are more valuable to use to my own ends at that point.

I am kind of tired (and I imagine some others also are) of explaining Blizzard is considering sharding not because they want to appease “BfA babies”, or because they hate Classic, or because they use small capacity cloud-based servers…

Ion pointed out they are considering sharding because of realm population issues (see Blizzcon Q&A). In other words, they want to start with a huge population, which breaks the game if not dealt with (by using sharding or dynamic respawns, for example). Sure, I could be wrong, but this is the closest we have to an official stance.

Can we please have a more detailed post on this matter? This is something too big to be left for real discussion when we are already close to summer.

This is something I read on Ghostcrawler’s tumblr and that worries me:

“What do you think of what’s happening currently with Battle For Azeroth and the way the devs are responding, I’d loved for an opinion of someone who went through that and how different you’d handle it?”

Look, I don’t know much about the state of WoW, or how the devs are handling feedback, and even if I did, those guys are my friends, so I’m not going to beat them up.

Instead, I will offer a generic strategy for devs to handle feedback. The general structure here is to imagine that players are unhappy with what you did with a feature (we will call that X), and for whatever reason, players believe that an alternate implementation (we will call that Y) would be better. Note that Y may or may not be better, but players believe it would be.

Option 1 is the best way to handle the feedback, though it’s not always feasible, on down to Option 6 being the worst way to handle the feedback.

1. You shipped X. Players want Y. You convince them why X is better. They now like X. (This is the Holy Grail, but it takes a lot of trust and good communication.)

2. You shipped X. Players want Y. You tell them that Y is coming. (This is the answer players almost always are looking for.)

3. You shipped X. Players want Y. You tell them why you think X is better. Players still want Y, but they understand your goals now. (This surprisingly can be pretty satisfying to players.)

4. You shipped X. Players want Y. You tell players you understand their viewpoint but aren’t sure yet what you’re going to do yet. (This is probably the most common answer. It’s not hugely satisfying, but it is authentic.)

5. You shipped X. Players want Y. You say nothing. (This is the easiest answer for devs.)

6. You shipped X. Players want Y. You tell them they’re wrong. (This burns trust and makes players less likely to accept your answer next time. However, note that it’s really just empathy and tone that separate this response, the worst answer, from Option 1, which I consider the best answer.)

Is your stance on sharding a mix of option 4 and 5? Did you already decide and so are we wasting ourselves with these discussions?

Please update.

2 Likes

And those people don’t like mmos

1 Like

See info here:

Q: ARE THEY SHARDING?! I WONT PLAY IF THEYRE SHARDING!!
A: It has been floated by the dev team as one way to help combat the expected overcrowding at launch of lowest level starting zones. BUT IT IS NOT YET GUARANTEED TO BE IN THE GAME. Naturally the forums have been a source of calm, rational discussion on the matter.

That’s why were voicing out opinions now. So blizzard knows what community opinion is.

2 Likes

No but I was there is the past when it worked with lesser technology and much slower internet…

Your comment is purely non constructive and clearly reflects your knowledge

1 Like

[quote]Q: ARE THEY SHARDING?! I WONT PLAY IF THEYRE SHARDING!!
A: It has been floated by the dev team as one way to help combat the expected overcrowding at launch of lowest level starting zones. BUT IT IS NOT YET GUARANTEED TO BE IN THE GAME. Naturally the forums have been a source of calm, rational discussion on the matter.[/quote]

Until they come out and state unequivocally that it will not be included there is every reason to let them know how we feel about the issue. Indifference=acceptance in the minds of big businesses. We need to let them know that we are not indifferent, we are opposed…

9 Likes

Vehemently opposed, in fact.

4 Likes

I don’t think i can express just how much I hate the idea of sharding in classic.

6 Likes

No, that is not correct, as it was changed last year because of ToA.
pair that with we did events in outland, feralas, ashenvale, and tirisfal, ALL FAR before 7/18, the outland one even being back in 2017

No sharding!!! It will ruin the game.

6 Likes

Easy for me. Ahem

I’d rather roll gnome than have sharding in Classic™.

1 Like

What are you talking about. I love rolling gnomes. Right into cannons.

I’ve advocated for their deletion for years.

Gnomes are great.

For punting.

1 Like

I think sharding will ruin classic. I’m skeptical that Blizzard will keep their word about it only being on launch, but I’m willing to try. If classic doesn’t feel like classic I’ll just cancel again.

It’s the community, stupid.

1 Like

A small, vocal minority is, anyway.

Just replying to add my support for the OP. Sharding will ruin any large scale player interaction if it’s allowed in the game. How are we supposed to trust that it will be only at the start of the launch?

1 Like