Once again asking for a rework of shaman AoE

TL;DR, but i highly recommend you read before replying:
-Flame shock doesnt need to be capped.
-Ascendance needs a rework and better primary damage source for it’s use.
-Chain lightning needs to be uncapped.

For both Elemental and Enhance,

Flame Shock should have infinite spread, as well as responding to our primordial wave talent. There’s no reason for it not to function this way other than to uphold an arbitrary restriction. It’s highly unfair to have one of the lowest survivability rates as a class AND have an AOE cap tied to our only DoT and our unique class-wide area of affect ability, chain lightning. We’re doing ~50-100k less overall damage than other classes by the end of a M+ that have uncapped AoE simply because We cannot touch the mobs with our most impactful abilities(i.e: hunters, who are squishy as well, doing 1m+ DPS every few pulls while shamans struggle to hit 700k+). We’re ALSO being out-damaged in our target-cap range by those same classes that have unlimited damage potential.

Please change Ascendance, it:

1. Needs a lower CD
  2. Needs a longer duration if the CD is unchanged
  3. Needs Windstrike to do both physical and nature damage.

Windstrike needs nature-strike damage to justify being a worthwhile using ability vs lava lash spam in elementalist enhance build.

further suggestions assuming flame shock and chain lightning are uncapped:
remove the Molten Assault, Lashing Flames, and Stormblast talent.
Merge Molten Assault and Lashing Flames, so that it reads: “lava lash cooldown reduced by 6 seconds and spreads flame shock to targets within 5-8yds”.
Bake Stormblast in to Ascendance so that you’re completely benefiting from mastery and physical boosts during your important 3minute CD window.
uncap chain lightning and make it do “reduced damage beyond x targets” like every other class still hitting 1.5m DPS on 20 targets.

3 Likes

It is a head scratcher why some classes are target capped and others aren’t. I could see if the capped classes dominated dps up to their cap, but they don’t. Its just a throttle put in place for no obvious reason.

3 Likes

we’re the least desired mail dps, and the devs have to know this by now. Soon, we’ll be seeing “no shamans” in group titles when people realize that we’re a handicap to bring to dungeons again.

The first pull and the tree boss in Academy make me sad.

1 Like

i usually go physical build for tree trash and first boss then suicide and switch. It’s just not even worth using the main build at that point.

Historically speaking, uncapped flame shock into fire nova allowed enhancement shaman to solo farm Firelands trash en masse while it was a relevant raid — maybe they just want to avoid something like this from happening again.

There was a time where Enhance was top of the dmg on pvp rot teams because of all of the glyphs and interactions between flame shock, lava lash and fire nova.

Just uncap crash, cap lightning to 6 and make the crash lightning buff apply to the whole duration of crash.

Retain the strong low target damage, but you get pretty good damage thanks to a more powerful crash at high targets.

This isn’t historically… this is Dragonflight… its nonsense to have now.

Agreed, but shaman is one of the few classes that feels like it is still playing in the past on multiple fronts.

For enhance specifically — capped AoE, a party only buff

Just look at the leaked Totemic talents, they are trying to bring searing totem back…

1 Like

don’t cap any of our spells to anything, and IF they must cap us, make all classes have THE SAME CAP (which is no fun at all). some classes have 3, some have 5/6, some have 8… like bruh WHY so complicated?

The classes that are capped still don’t have a reason for those abilities to be capped except outlaw cause they can hard focus one target and ALL their abilities hit 8 targets for full damage.

besides outlaw, no classes really need caps. It’s not fun to not get invited because you’re playing a special needs class and spec.

2 Likes

Yes. It should be uncapped in the same way Oondasta’s attack was uncapped and get more powerful depending on how many people get hit by it.

Unless things have changed, I doubt you’d ever get that, because of how the chain lightning targets were calculated. The more targets they add, the more computations required to determine the ‘best’ possible leaps the chain lightning needs to make. Though it would look glorious with the right number of mobs pulled!

On top of those arbitrary caps and restrictions, don’t forget to pray to RNGesus Mastery:Overload, Deeply Rooted Elements, Aftershock, Power of the Maelstorm etc etc adds an unnecessary level of RNG to your output that other specs don’t need to put up with.

So lets keep score:
—No group buff
–Poor survivability
–unreliable damage output
–no Brez
++Lust
+crowd control

Why would you just not take a Mage or Evoker?

3 Likes

Chain/crash lightning should be the only AoE ability shamans press.

Earthquake? cringe.
Fire totem spouting? cringe.
Multi hit shocks? cringe.
Lava burst cleaving? cringe.
Maelstrom power? cringe.

It’s the only class that shoots lightning and they don’t even let you shoot lightning.

2 Likes

Literally just make crash be uncapped and nerf the damage a bit and then we’d be busted as hell.

I personally dont overly hate EQ. Only spec with an AoE that can CC enemies briefly, albeit random.

If there were improvements like some people mention, say being targeted on a mob for example, I wouldnt really dislike it.

2 Likes

That would be lovely. I hate having to drop a targeting circle.

This is why I don’t main ele shaman. I know people want shamans to be “master of ALL of the elements”, but you don’t need both dps specs trying to do that imo. One could excel at harnessing the power of lightning and the other be more versatile.

1 Like

The removal of downvoting has, overall, been a positive for the forums.

But sometimes, man…

2 Likes

complaining about moderation is cringe (also violates ToS)

1 Like