On the Upcoming Lore Book

There are several pages up as a preview on amazon now of the Dragonflight Codex, and something I find interesting about it is they have gone to great lengths to be way more careful in the writing of this codex compared to the Shadowlands Grimoire. There is a lot of phrasing to make it clear this is being written by a person in the world rather than as a out of world text book, from the very first page in the book.

I am really curious to see what they have to say on the primal dragons and fae dragons. Perhaps we can get a bit more on the storm dragons that work with Odyn. I did notice they present Elune as always being specially worshiped as a Goddess of Life by the Kaldorei in the Ysera section, so that’s an interesting recontextualization.

7 Likes

I would ask the Author if they have a death-wish, and does it involve arrows or beams of concentrated moonlight?

11 Likes

Yeah I saw that and foresaw many spicy forum rants across the interwebs.

4 Likes

So what does that mean about the Naaru? Are they tied to Elune or could it be that Mu’sha is both the Naaru’s creator and not Elune?

The Naaru, Mu’sha and the Earthmother are the big mystery compared to Elune.

Of course if Mu’sha turns out to be separate from Elune and infact Queen Azshara we can officially claim that Azshara is a member of the Pantheon of Light.

Well at least we now have confirmation that the dragons did lose their ability to have kids/that part of the lore was not retconned. I am also glad Iridi got a mention.

1 Like

I like how these pages finally state malygos’s plan which was to take all the arcane energy and to fling it out into the twisting nether, which feels like it would just be a massive signal flare to the legion

6 Likes

Seems like it would also sorta… kill the world soul also, which would kill the planet too. Altogether not one of Malagyos’s better plans. But being fair he went so sane he basically went insane.

1 Like

Chronicle Vol. 3 mentions he was never informed of the World Soul.

I dare say if he was informed he would have instead sought a way to hasten Azeroth’s birth immediately.

The Titans withholding info on the World Soul is what caused much of Azeroth’s own suffering.

The withholding of info by the other Cosmic Forces will also have consequences I’m sure.

3 Likes

As far as we know, the Titans never told the dragons about the world soul. So we can’t blame that on Malygos.

The obvious question is why didn’t they tell them? The worse case scenario has always been that if Azeroth ever did awake she might end up killing everything.

3 Likes

Well… Given everything that happened up to the point where Chromie went and defied the timeline’s proper progression to save Nozdormu was the one ideal timeline the Titans wanted preserved at all costs… it stands to reason that they did it because it was all part of The Plan as devised by Aman’thul, where the Titans manage to make Azeroth into a Titan and ultimately win the inter-dimensional cosmic disco war.

2 Likes

I’m honestly so tired of the whole “unreliable narrator” thing in these lore books. It just screams laziness on Blizzard’s part. That they don’t want to do the work of actually nailing down lore to make it consistent and concrete.

Which makes it all the more strange that they had a position open for a “Lore Historian” a while ago. If you can just change the lore at will to fit whatever you want, what’s the point of the Historian?

I don’t know if it’s just some writers not wanting to conflict with one another or new writers who want an excuse to make their own ideas the canon ones while throwing out the old ones Cough Jailer and First Ones Cough.

9 Likes

Still not gonna believe the whole “dragons can’t reproduce” bit is still canon until we see them actually imply that’s still the case in game.

Unless the all the eggs and whelps we see around have been sitting there for decades for no reason.

7 Likes

It gives a disclaimer that nothing written there is necessarily true, so enjoy getting your money’s worth I guess.

2 Likes

Of course its not true, this is all fantasy.

As a side note I highly recommend this book to everyone, I might even be in it.

2 Likes

Dragon eggs sitting around for decades have been a thing since forever in warcraft lore.
Most people thought they retconned the not being able to reproduce since cata, but this book just reconfirms that it is still the case.
It’s one of the few things they’ve been consistent with about dragon lore in recent times, as them being unable to reproduce is first mentioned in cata and then as late as legion, and now again. Keep in mind that it was never said or shown that dragons have been able to reproduce after this, even in DF.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve lost interest in the lorebooks ever since they became “biased perspectives.”

3 Likes

In story perspectives from characters can be very interesting, if they actually lean into the whole “view of events and characters from the cultural background of the narrator” to help us get how members of different cultures and races view some things, instead of the extremely generic and basic lore dump we’ve gotten from the last of these books.

8 Likes

/10characters

I sort of find it amusing to imagine they just had warehouses full of unhatched eggs Norzdormu put in a time stop. Seriously though, Perhaps they will go into it a bit more—Maybe whelplings can sense the environment and if it is safe to hatch or not?

As to the in story perspective thing… I think it is better they just write in that creative freedom than not and take it anyways. That is what they always used to do, and if I have to pick I will take the one that results in less high blood pressure among the fan base.

They can be interesting as a supplement to actual concrete lore, but they’re not a substitute for it. For me, anyway.

4 Likes