Older players / disabled will struggle with dragonriding

You once bludgeoned someone with a French baguette?

Well, I’m not old by any means myself, but I support accessibility for all. Making a thread about accessibility never goes well, though. This thread is an example.

9 Likes

There are plenty of people who–with contacts and glasses, are still considered legally blind (20/200). And surgery and/or more contacts and glasses just can’t solve the problem. Trust me–walking around with glasses that leave a dent in your nose isn’t fun, and contacts are pretty good these days, but they can’t always make a mostly blind person able to see perfectly, sadly.

One day…we will get amazing cyber eyes. Until then…we just bump our way around and do the best we can. I haven’t, yet, noticed anything that’s incredibly limiting in this capacity, however…if there are rings or something else that need to be flown through–being able to change the color of those or opaqueness of them so they can be more easily seen in the world can sometimes be a big help. This can also help the color-blind among us, too.

Another thing that can help is having a sound queue. Like, after you’ve gone through one bubble or shiny place, the sound queue offers you a direction to turn to find the next one, etc. The arrows that point us toward the next place to go are also very helpful.

Anyway, those are the best suggestions I got so far–and also an answer to that question about what can’t be corrected these days. Sadly, we are not so great at envisioning new and better ways to help people see. But…we’re SLOWLY working our way out of the coke-bottle glasses of the past 200+ years. So that’s something.

8 Likes

As some one that’s over 55+ here’s the thing they cant catering to everyone, and let’s be honest the amount of old people/or young for that matter, that have vision problems…is am guessing not even
. 05% of the wow population…it makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint… and I’ll put in the Meme it would probably cost us a raid level

1 Like

imagine being this ignorant, and proud about it.

6 Likes

The Quest Log book and similar things I cannot see or change the color on.

I know it’s not part of OP’s thread so I’m being off topic, but now that you mention it, I’m really surprised Blizz hasn’t given some UI options to change this, since a few older members of my guild have mentioned similar things.
Maybe one of the WoW council members can try and make a post about it, I know there was a guy who posted a lot for the visually impaired.

5 Likes

My sister is blind in one eye, (has been since birth) and has severe myopia in her other eye. She’s played WoW since 2004, and has never unsubscribed her two accounts.

How can she just accept that she needs to ‘find a new hobby’? It doesn’t work like that.

I have no idea if she’ll struggle with Dragon Riding, I hope not. She loves WoW so much, and we’ve always played together.

Blizzard needs to embrace all their player-base, and make accessibility and inclusion paramount in their game design.

19 Likes

i think ppl just use any excuse to get their point across.

someone with no problem at all will pretend just to get their point across.

meanwhile ppl with actual vision problems will find a way, or move on if it’s not possible.

like if im too blind to see the hoop when playing basketball i dont try to change the sport for everyone else. i realize that its time to stop playing basketball.

when my knees stopped allowing me to snowboard the way i liked to… i stopped snowboarding… it is what it is.

5 Likes

I get your point here, but there are QoL things that can be done to the UI that would help more than just people who have vision issues. We’re not asking them to change the way the game functions–just give people some options to try and be able to play better. For example–there are some softball leagues that have “beepers” in their balls to allow those who are visually impaired (and in some cases, completely blind people) to be able to play the game. Poker has a similar thing–where the cards come in different colors for the different suits, for instance (red, green, orange, and blue, I think? which doesn’t help color blind people, but the fact that it CAN be done is a + and can help even people who aren’t visually impaired).

To be fair, when I did have cataracts–I couldn’t play the game at all. It was pretty miserable having to give up something I loved for a while until I had surgery. In either case, we’re not asking them to completely change the game, but rather to add some little things into the game that aren’t game-breaking, but instead game-enhancing. And a lot of people have often told me that until I requested something be done because I was visually impaired, they didn’t realize how much whatever change happened helped them, too.

In either case, as you and others have pointed out, we’ll make our own accommodations if we have to–learn to work around the problem if it’s something we really love and enjoy. But sometimes it’s nice not to have to be fighting both the game and our own disabilities at the same time. And sometimes that’s unavoidable. But if we don’t ask for what we need, …how will anyone ever know we’re struggling?

To those of you that say some people co-opt issues for their own gain–that’s been happening since people have wanted things. It sucks that there are people out there who are willing to be disingenuous in order to get what they want, but also…sometimes they can shine a light on something that most people never notice at all. At the end of the day, though, I can’t KNOW what’s going through someone’s head when they post something there on the forums, and unless you’re that person, neither can you. In general, it is often better to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than assume they’re trolling. Granted, lots of people are bad at expressing themselves in a text medium, and sometimes emotions can get the better of us. I’d love to know what prompted the OP’s frustrations, but without them posting more, the best I can do is try to offer some suggestions from my own perspective (being legally blind myself), and hope it might be helpful somehow.

As a quick aside–no disabled person’s disability is like anyone else’s. How they are able to cope and manage things is going to be completely different to the ways someone else will cope and manage–even if the disability on the outside looks and seems the same. At best, giving people more options to use in order to facilitate several different ways of playing is beneficial to a lot more than just disabled people. However, offering those kinds of accommodations and options may be the difference between a disabled person being able to play and thrive in the community or feeling as though the community has no need/want/nor interest in them at all. I’d rather try to be as inclusive as I can be–wouldn’t you?

8 Likes

What does dragonriding have to do with vision?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You can’t be this oblivious to disabilities… can you?

Oh it very much does. As someone with neurological issues since covid, it took me two weeks to figure out dragon riding. I did, finally, but it took a long time.

Others have motion sickness issues. One of the settings helps a little, but not enough. The speed lines can really mess up some disabilities and a few of us have yet to find a way to get rid of those with any setting.

There’s nothing to nerf. There are only two buttons. The problem is the speed lines mostly.

Disabilities aren’t “fluff.” What even is this? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

There really aren’t. The camera motion can be fixed a little. But speed lines cause issues and we can’t get rid of those.

I think you need to back out of this thread. Your disrespect is showing.

… everything? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

13 Likes

My vision improves with glasses, but whenever I wear glasses I get migraines and feel sick so I don’t wear them because they make me feel awful. I do struggle at reading text. And I have no hand coordination at all and it’s why I can’t use keys and have to click with my mouse and walk with my arrow keys

7 Likes

There’s a feature in the game where you can hitch a ride on someones dragonriding mount.

And you don’t HAVE to be super zippy dippy all the time. Going up in the air and just having a lazy casual glide is entirely possible and you still move pretty quick doing this so you’re not just taking forever to get from point a to point b.

I’ve already offered to help friends get their dragon glyphs with the ride along feature. Just gonna pull a Marahute

I’m saying all this as someone with poor vision and struggles with carpal tunnel. ( I know thats not the same as folks with arthritis I’m just saying I get the concern ) Dragonriding at its bare bones is super easy. All the speedy zippy dippy stuff is entirely optional.

3 Likes

Then you aren’t thinking hard enough.

My eyesight is bad and some bits are rough, but making changes to the edges of the screen / zooming out as far as possible helped for me.

I hope they add more options in for better visibility as needed.

When Df launches, remember blizz has accessibility@blizzard.com and your suggestions can help with accessibility issues.

7 Likes

Agree that this game could use some better quality of life enhancements to the interface

It is 20 years old without much change or innovation

1 Like

OMG, not all vision problem are solvable. /facepalm

7 Likes

Do you even have to use it or can I just run around on my robot chicken?

Dragonriding is not accessible. Nor is it sustainable long term. Forcing players to use the Gliding Vigor system as a means to get around defeats the point of classes like Druid that shapeshift into flight form and can fly unbridled by arbitrary dev team ego. Dragonriding is not inclusive. It’s a time suck, and superfluous distraction from real gameplay.

11 Likes

I haven’t gone past the first zone in the beta yet, but for the most part, the zone is pretty accessible. It takes some getting used to though. I think a flight whistle would help as a back-up.

3 Likes