Old school black water raider people!

Slow Motion did not beat us on Lady Vashj, or anything. Ascension pretty much ruled Burning Crusade.

Lovina! awesome to see you. And yea your right about that. i forgot because lady vashj was the one fight i missed in Ascension. ( i was kinda hoping yall lost that one. since i wasnt there. lololol )

Yeah, good seeing you. Pretty weird to talk to anyone from the Ascension days. I just renewed my account after not playing for the last 10 years. Found most my characters had lost their names, which was a bummer. But yeah, eerie seeing a thriving server so dead now.

yea. you can basically choose to stay or go to a higher pop server. imo its all the same. there are enough end game guilds here to make it fun. i think. i just came back too homie so im tip toeing.

edit: it is sad. i wish it was not so dead and all the ppl i remember are gone. But that is how it is brother.

add me.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever raid again. I donā€™t want to invest the time needed for it. I was going to college when I was in Ascension, you can see the drop in my GPA the moment I started raiding.

Iā€™ve since moved to the Silicon Valley area for work and just play wow with my dad and some friends from my home town. Every pug Iā€™m on, Iā€™m the worst DPSer, and I feel like telling them, ā€œI swear, I used to be really good at this game!ā€

Still, Iā€™m trying to catch up on the lore changes and story stuff. Iā€™m especially digging the Legion content.

Yo. Still playing the same toon. Same nameā€¦ If I was to come back to that server is there a guild that would take a dysfunctional ret/prot paladin.

Also Hey Cara!

my guild had realm first on karazhan I thinkā€¦ forget the name thoughā€¦ Iā€™m old and my memory is olderā€¦

1 Like

I used to maintain the ā€œServer firstsā€ thread during BC, so I sort of remember who did what. For Black Water Raiders, I mean. I notice they since merged this with another server.

For Karazhan, I canā€™t remember the name of the guild that had Madlibs as the leader. Right after Kara, they guild transferred off, but they got the server first for Terestian Illhoof. They almost got the server first for Nightbane, but Guardians of Innocence beat them by like an hour or two.

I was playing Rainna, the first max level drenei shaman on the server(did I mention I played so much my grades slipped?). And we, Sigil, got the server firsts for everything else in Karazhan. We pretty much imploded after that. I reformed Sigil with Lathe, Bowsta, Soduk, and a few other prominent people I canā€™t remember.

Ascension got the server first for Gruulā€™s Lair, making the first time Horde side got a server first. Sigil got the Alliance server first for Gruulā€™s later soon after that, with me as Guild Leader, and imploded from drama just about immediately after that.

I switched to Horde side (Ascension), not for the purpose of chasing server firsts, though that ended up happening. I was just amazed it was possible to be in a raiding guild where people didnā€™t fight over loot and werenā€™t miserable. It was the first time I actually started to really like the game.

i wish i could call phalanx of perdition on ur a s s right now. you heavy explanation having a s s

Yea all I can remember is Achilles was the name of our tank a warrior. His name is ingrained in my memory from spamming flash heals on him.

I used to be Affarius. leader of the third infantry guild. ( thats for my third infantry peeps that might still be out there )

Thelanore must be the lore master of this. we need thele.
not to mention thammer. and what was the gm of phalanxes name again? it started with a V.

and how have all of yall barbarians failed to mention the great Missfortunes name.

Hi old friend. Happy to see you around and kicking <3

I think I remember Achilles being the guild leader of Legends. Sigil was too small during vanilla to field 40 man raids. So was Legends. BWRs was a fairly new server, with BC looming, so raiding guilds didnā€™t have a lot of time to get established before the expansion, so we (as Sigil) joint raided with Legends for the bigger raids.

Thel, awesome to see youā€™re still around.

Funny this should pop up right as I resub like 10 years laterā€¦ For the record, Defiance was server first Lady Vashj and a lot of them after that (think Ascension beat us on Kael and Rage by a couple days).

My memory on who got Lady Vashj first is a little fuzzy. You might be right that it was Defiance. Iā€™m really certain we got the server first for Leotheras the Blind in Serpentine Cavern, but not as sure about the others. There was an alliance guild, whoā€™s name I canā€™t remember, who had transferred from a more progressed server. They got Magtheridonā€™s Lair, and some early Serpentine bosses, but collapsed by the time we were hitting Lady Vashj. Otherwise, they were pretty far ahead of us at first.

In Tempest Keep, we did get Kael. But Iā€™m not as sure about the others.

I forgot about Hyjal. I donā€™t remember who got what there. I think Defiance got Archimonde a few days before we did, but I donā€™t remember. Oh, I think I vaguely remember we were working more on TK while yā€™all were working on Hyjal. But Iā€™m not sure.

I do know that Defiance got one of the bosses in Black Temple. Iā€™m thinking it was Gurtogg Bloodboil or Teron Gorefiend, but I believe we got all the others. I remember that Slow Motion was getting real close to beating us to some server firsts but they hit a brick wall with Lady Shahraz. See, weā€™d been banking our Hearts of Darkness so we could gear everyone out in Shadow Resistance gear for that fight, while they were selling theirs on the AH so by the time they got to her, they had to spend time farming them for a while and lagged way behind us after that.

I do remember after we got Illidan, Ascension basically fell apart, with several people feeling like they beat the game and quit WoW. Ascension was never the same after that. We only lost a couple people, but the hunger to push progression wasnā€™t there anymore.

When WotLK came out, several guilds cleared Naxx before we did. We basically turned into a casual guild after that with more of the serious people leaving. We got part way through the tournament raid, and Ascension was over. Thatā€™s when I stopped playing.

SSC you guys def got Leo first, I think the final tally was 3/6 server firsts in SSC for Defiance (Hydross, Tidewalker and Vashj I think?). We only got Alā€™ar first in TK, but T6 Defiance got everything first except Rage in Hyjal and I think we were beat by Ascension or Slow Motion to Reliquary. We were focusing on Gurtogg at the time and got Reliquary in the next lockout, otherwise we got every other server first in Black Temple.

I was the raid leader from the end of T5 until the guild broke up so I remember most of it (may have some screenshots still lurking around). What might jog most peopleā€™s memory is Monsairaiku from our guild used to post RP stories for every one of our first kills in the old raid progression thread. I know we were the only guild to clear Brutallus in Sunwell pre 3.0 and we almost had Felmyst. Post 3.0 we cleared everything easily, Kilā€™Jaeden just took a minute because he had so many abilities.

Wrath we got almost all the server first for T7 and we were the only ones to get the Black Protos, but during Ulduar hard modes when Grand Crusader came out we had a lot of players have to quit in succession because of RL stuff including our guild leader, and once that happened Eternal Legacy caught and passed us. Was always rough keeping a steady stream of recruits on the server since we were small pop and an RP server (plus no one wanted in the Whirlwind battlegroup for PvP, but I donā€™t remember why). About 10 of us were able to finish out Wrath and did the first part of T11 in Cata, but got tired of the content and RL commitments ended up taking all our time.

We might be doing some stuff in TBC Classic if we can get enough together, but we will definitely be raiding a lot less timewise.

I do remember the RP posts now. I remember thinking that was cool. Well, I thought Ascension did better than that, but the more I think about it, the less sure I am.

I do remember that considering we were both pushing for the same server firsts, there wasnā€™t an ugly rivalry. I think some Defiance person said something negative about us in Trade or something, and was told by a Defiance officer not to do it again. Tulkas, our raid leader (and eventual guild leader) used to make it really clear to us that people causing drama would get booted. I was later told Ascension officers had a few meetings about me over some of the things I said on the forums and decided to cut me some slack since my time Alliance side was a little rough.

Otherwise, thatā€™s how it was Horde side. No one had any tolerance for BS. A guy in Ascension complained about loot being a bigger upgrade for him than who won the roll, and he was kicked out of the raid and guild immediately. I think he quit the server after. We didnā€™t put up with that.

Raiding was fun, but I certainly donā€™t want to invest the time needed for that again. Iā€™m just playing with some friends and family for now.

You guys didnā€™t do bad at all, almost all of us were fine with Ascension and if I recall you guys got most of the second kills or third kills trading off with Slow Motion. I know Ascension was the second Illidan kill as as bunch of people outside of our guilds gave Slow Motion crap about being third.

Oddly enough I remember the exact scenario youā€™re referring to, but cannot remember the name of the person that did it. It was someone that started talking trash after a server first on I think Archimonde and as soon as the officer group was made aware of it we came down on them pretty hard. In fact, I think they ended getting kicked in part because of that. Jungatharg, our old GL, and Tulkas were friends back then and none of us wanted to deal with stupid drama like that. We did well, but none of our core group were under the illusion we were Premonition or something.

The more I look at your name the more familiar it looks. I remember talking to a number of the raiding warlocks on BWR back in the day, but I can barely remember all the guildies names so anyone outside of the guild is a total crap shoot. Backlashā€™s old GL and I talked a fair bit about various theorycrafting and I think I even gave them some pointers when they were working on T5.

All of us talking about TBC Classic have way too many things going on now to do 4 nights of raiding anymore, but one or occasionally two we might pull off since we know a lot of the old fights. I really want a crack at pre 3.0 Sunwell again, we had to play catch up for so much of the expansion we were way strapped for time to get to the late fights.

Honestly, I donā€™t remember Slow Motion beating us on anything, but Iā€™m not sure. I do remember Soulja would dunk on Slow Motion whenever theyā€™d brag about being the best Alliance raiding guild. Heā€™d post screen shots of one of his alts on another server where they were several bosses ahead of everyone on BWR. Soulja used to dunk on everyone though. I remember he made a guild called Sigil Legends Gud AMIRITE just to mock how slow our server progression was during vanilla.

Like we said, there wasnā€™t drama horde side, at least none that I knew of. We did make a smaller raiding guild mad, but we really didnā€™t mean to. I canā€™t remember their name, but we were about done with T5 and Horde side had yet to clear Magtheridon. Why bother if weā€™re close to hitting T6 soon? But one night we decided to go for it, for the fun, and we got the Horde server first for it. Big deal. But what we didnā€™t know was another, smaller guild had been working on it, and we beat them to Mag by a few hours. They accused us of doing in on purpose to rob them of the Horde First for it. I know this is like 12 years, or whatever later, but it still sticks with me as how Tulkas said in vent how bad he felt, saying he wish heā€™d have known because we would have stayed away and let them have it. We also cared about having a good relationship with all the other Horde raiding guilds. I would lead raids with my alts for other guilds to teach them the bosses on our off nights and I felt like a lot of people really liked us. Malkorvan, basically the second in Command in Ascension (and Guild Leader once Tulkas left during WotLK) used to post our server firsts on the forums by emphasizing the Horde got the server first(and by extension Ascension) because we cared about inclusion of the Horde side community.

Tulkas was a really good guy who just wanted everyone to get along and have a good time. I do remember hearing this story. It sounds like BS. But I was told before I switched from Rainna / Eluna in Sigil to Horde side and joined Ascension with Lovina, there was a member in Ascension who guild quit. They said they were only in Ascension as a spy for Defiance, to learn all our boss strats. 1, Ascension was never significantly ahead of progression to bother, and 2, all the strats we used were publicly available online from guilds on my progressed servers whoā€™d done it. Again, it sounded like a BS story and the person that /gquit was probably just saying that. But my point is that Tulkas laughed when telling the story of how silly it was, saying that if Defiance wanted anything from Ascension, heā€™d gladly give it freely.

I do miss those days and those people. I never felt like we did well because we were amazing players, but rather because we genuinely cared about working as a team and supporting each other.

Heh, that definitely sounds out there. Most of our strats were based on well known stuff already anyway, not a lot to steal. We made some modifications, sometimes significant in a few rare cases, but I think even during Kael and Vashj progression Tulkas and Junga talked about that stuff fairly openly and both guilds were competing for first kills pretty directly. Only major Ascension person I remember switching to us was Spoc in T6 and he pretty much just said the same, neither guild had all that many ā€˜secretsā€™ to keep from one another. I think we even gave/sold you guys some hearts of darkness once we had all our shadow resist gear.

Was definitely good times back then. I think the BWR community on horde side especially is what kept us from wanting to leave ever. Yea, we could have gone to a bigger non-RP server and maybe have had an easier recruiting time, but I donā€™t know if it would have been near as much fun. I definitely miss it.