Old Blizz was way ahead of their time

True, I could have done 40 runs on a server if I wanted to if that joke had come to pass- that’s 10 more runs.

1 Like

In the [WOW CLASSIC HOTFIXES – UPDATED JUNE 16] Post, you posed 3 days after this.
(WoW Classic Hotfixes -- Updated November 16)

June 16, 2020

WoW Classic

• You may now enter a maximum of 30 unique instances (dungeon and raid) per day, per realm.
    • Developers’ note: We’re implementing this change as part of our ongoing efforts to eliminate exploitative and automated gameplay. This restriction complements the current limit of 5 instances per hour. Now, when a player enters a dungeon or a raid, the game checks to see if they have entered 5 instances in the last hour or 30 instances in the last 24 hours, and if they have, they cannot enter the instance until enough time has elapsed. This check is across all of your characters on your realm. These limits only apply to dungeon and raid instances, and do not apply to PvP battlegrounds.

So CATA, WOD, and BFA never happened? They only got one good expansion Legion and a decent one MOP out of the last five. Now in Shadowlands they are attempting to undo the damage done since, adding back in abilities, tier sets, etc.

Legion wasn’t good though. Everything went downhill fast after Wotlk.

1 Like

You think Blizzard before Activision would never have released a bad expansion? You just admitted that Legion was good and MoP was decent as well, it’s almost like not everything Blizzard does will please everyone. It’s almost like companies have to evolve and in the process they may make mistakes or alienate their old crowd.

Why blame Activision for Blizzard making mistakes? It’s a little ironic that I’m constantly called a Blizzard “shill” here despite my ability to distinguish a holding company from a game development studio… When Blizzard sucks, I put it on them; I don’t blame it on some conspiracy theory surrounding Activision and Bobby Kotick.

Zero game companies have run a game for as long as Blizzard has run WoW without making people angry.

Opinion.

In terms of enjoyment from what I can remember, this is how my experience has been with WoW.

Classic = TBC > Legion > WoTLK > Vanilla > MoP > WoD > BfA > Cataclysm.

EDIT: Almost forgot to put BfA in there.

Before Activision it was Soon TM. Then it became we will fix the classes on the first .5 patch then it became we will fix it next expansion. The old Blizzard canceled projects for not meeting quality standards. The new one says we dont care about your feedback till the revenue drops. Then the currency vendors get added in RNG reduced and abilities added back.

It’s a trap to idealize the past.

Classic has numerous game design flaws, but people conveniently ignore them when making these kind of arguments.

Those design flaws largely exist within the context of: Ridiculous Itemization, specialization’s being terrible, one of the worst pvp rank systems ever conceived of, terrible transition between raid tiers. There are more but they start to become more specific from there.

1 Like

Counterpoint: For the most part, Classic is horribly unbalanced in a fun way, while BFA is horribly unbalanced in a not-fun way.

The honor grind is a tedious mess of a system that should never have existed, but so are azerite and covenants.

2 Likes

BFA is purposely designed to drain the fun out of everything. In fact, anytime someone finds a way to have fun, its instantly nerfed into oblivion.

1 Like

Can’t be true, that would imply Ion’s team even knew the definition of the word.

It was pinned since the very begining.

You may be thinking of other posts.

I mean yes, it was a joke back then because it was laughable at that time to think you’d need guardrails against exploitative behavior.

In 2020, with gaming metas as they are…, it’s no longer a joke. It’s a sad irony.

1 Like

It has become such a meme for people to hate on ion that at this point those who do it just look like complete and utter fools.

Not really, he was game director since WoD, and directly oversaw the pruning, profession hits and awful system designs since. Giving him flak is justified.

1 Like

You must not have been around back then because I know for a fact people did the exact same type of thing 15 years ago.

You wanna know how I know? Because I did it.

Using targetting macros to check rarespawn mobs in dungeons, spam running dungeons to get a specific item for a character, etc.

2 Likes

Wods was actually not that bad. Only part of wod that was bad was garrisons.

Everything else was well done.

It is still better that the single worst xpac in the games history TBC. I utterly loathe that piece of garbage.

Your opinion on expansion quality is no longer valid.

Wait did he just say WoD was better than BC? Someone get that man a straight jacket, STAT!

1 Like

I’d take WoD over BFA if you put a gun to my head, but both are trash, lol.

2 Likes

Okay sure, but nobody believes that the behaviors were anywhere near as widespread as they are now.

Yes, some people did use boosting to level, but it was nowhere near the point where 90% of the spam in LFG is “WTB/WTS Mara/ZG 1 pulls” or whatever.

The guardrails were laughable in 2005 because it was funny to think anybody would need that. Now? Not so much.