Ok... ACCOUNT WIDE RENOWN

Yes, and there’s been some suggestion in this thread that making anything account-wide will cause the content to be consumed faster and/or break “the economy” and that somehow Blizzard is so hampered by covid they can’t keep up.

ESO’s engine and tech dates back to 2007. 14 year-old architecture. Account-wide progress in many ways, not least the crafting mats bag, which has no storage limit at all, and craps all over the restrictive reagent bank Blizzard reluctantly added to Wow. People have asked for an account-wide mat storage for years.

This conversation goes beyond just Renown. It’s about rep, storage, and a bunch of other things that players have had to find workarounds for for years. I have my own guild of ME, just for shared storage so I can pass mats to my alt crafters without mailing them and clogging that system up even further. And so on.

This is basic bad design philosophy. It’s a retro approach to a game that’s trying to exist in a modern world. And this game’s competitors realised that years ago, and did something about it.

They made me rich too - hence my Bruto and Spider and Gold robot mounts. But the AH was never involved - that was money off the command table into my pocket. Nothing at all to do with “the economy” that some people so vigorously defend.

And that’s a big problem this game needs to finally resolve once and for all.

Blizzard has been on record for years (especially during the Ghostcrawler years) about how much they despise the idea of alts.

Time for them to drop the hubris and get on board with the fact that it ain’t 2004 any more.

Doing pretty damn well, last time I checked. New expansion coming this year. The original Guild Wars is still going strong by the way.

Pretty sure I’m my account.

double checks

Yep. I log into my account every day.

Except that your account doesn’t have any progression, but your character(s) do.

And it’s been that way for 16y.

1 Like

Then really, you’d be with those competitors instead of here.
It’s a shame that ESO has barely any endgame tho’ so i can see why you’re with Wow.

Unfortunately, i can partially agree with you as most of the originators of Wow have left, so we can only hope that Wow continues to evolve, or will be influenced in several years by Dreamhaven and FFXIV.

Pretty sure my pet collection is account wide.
Pretty sure my mount collection is account wide.
Pretty sure my toy collection is account wide.
Pretty sure I can skip a ton of quests because I finished them on my main.
Pretty sure next patch I can skip Torghast stuff because it’s account wide.
Pretty sure next patch I can send Soul Ash to my alts because it’s account wide.

Etc. Etc.

2 Likes

Except for the pointlessly restricted ones.

Except for the pointlessly restricted ones.

You know where I’m going with this by now :wink:

Arbitrary QoL skips that are only implemented after complaints. And many things, like most of the BfA cloak grind or the Maw intro in Shadowlands - are almost designed to never be skippable.

The covenant campaigns should be one-and-done, too.

That’s not “account wide”, that’s a transaction.

1 Like

Yep, and pretty sure that in my original post i mentioned that cosmetic stuff was account wide.

Player power isn’t, which’d be a point towards you being your account.

So, you were saying?

and why did people leave? one reason there was nothing to do because blizzard made those achievements account wide so people didn’t have to earn them on each character. That is typically the stuff I enjoy working on in the game.

I’d be okay with renown not being account wide if they made the achievements for unlocking the ranks of your sanctum features that lead to more anima gains account wide.

That way the work you’ve done on your main would directly influence your alts in a positive way but you’d still have to do something. It’d just be a bit faster.

1 Like

Yes a bit faster is okay on second, third and fourth, etc characters but to make it do it once and be done I don’t think that is a good idea.

No but if they did that it’d be comparable to unlocking all the Torghast Items from Ve’nari for alts without making the Ve’nari rep account wide. It’d be a compromise.

It’d make everything linked to sanctum unlocks and appearances go a bit faster, but you’d still have to actively unlock them regardless.

At this point in the content drought, the last thing they should do is think “oh well at least they have to do the same world quests another 1000 times to get up their alts”. All the stuff you can buy with anima is already ridiculously expensive. It’ll still take long enough if you get the higher anima rewards on an alt. It also wouldn’t change the fact you still have to unlock one set via renown, one via the travel network, one via the covenant game. It’d make unlocking those a bit faster but you’d still have to actively do the campaign, the travel network and the covenant game to get everything and you’d still have to do stuff to get anima - just a bit less.

1 Like

Nah, I’m not buying that for a second. Repeatedly “achieving” things you’ve already achieved is probably great fodder for those that love to grind until their eyes bleed, but for the rest of us, once we’ve done it, it’s done, and doing it all over again is not “content.”

It is in no way a reason why people found there was nothing to do.

Look at the game right now. Technically, there’s a “lot to do” - but why would you want to do it? It’s not especially fun, incredibly unrewarding and monotonous. I have my Hunter in Ardenweald staring down the barrel of doing the whole Night Fae campaign again, and I… I just can’t fathom doing it. So I just log out of that character and scrabble around for anything fun to do on any of the others.

It’s never felt so hard to find something FUN to do in the game in all my time playing it. And no, it’s not because I “need to take a break,” before that good old cliché gets pulled out for another go-around.

I have exalted tillers rep on over 12 characters. I am working on that Nazjatar paragon cache mount right now and guess what I have exalted rep for that area on 8 characters and I HATE that area. Just because you don’t like that kind of content doesn’t mean it doesn’t keep others busy and subscribed.

I feel the same way whenever I log onto my DH and my Lock. One of them is level 55 one is only 48. Now I already dislike the leveling experience between 50 and 60, but what makes me log on and immediately log off on these characters is that I know what comes after the leveling to 60. It was fun the first time, it was alright the second time, I could do it without hating it too much the third time but now I think of it, avoid it, and instead jump around in Oribos on my mage or farm old content for mounts just to avoid it. It’s like when you have to study for an exam and you know you really should but suddenly even cleaning your entire apartment and mowing the lawn and doing all the things you’ve been postponing for a year become more interesting and you do absolutely everything but study for that exam.

1 Like