Oh, Just One: Danuser, You Have Turned Sylvanas Into a Mary Sue

Really enjoyed the 9.2 Sylvanas cinematic spoiler I watched. :slight_smile: Surrounded by Cow traitor/Moments of madness Proudmoore, I ditched him when he needed me Thrall, and the one making sense, Bolvar. Was neat to see the split reality of Sylvanas.

Not… really?

The Alliance heroes were doing their own thing at the time too.
There were specific spots where the factions were in conflict but neither of the faction’s Champions were really focused primarily on the war.

Alliance players were busy saving Jaina from the political machinations of her mom’s evil BFF, dealing with the Drust, and the whole N’zoth cult that formed.
Horde players were busy trying to prevent a Pseudo-Old God from being freed while courting the largest remaining independent Troll kingdom. They recovered a few Loa, made some allies, and eventually killed the obvious evil vizier guy in the raid.

The first raid tier was entirely horde-focused since their whole campaign covered what was happening while the Alliance only got a handful of quests to introduce them to the zone and just followed the dwarf that always wanders into Old God related stuff.

The second raid actually had players view events as both factions, as they were in direct conflict with each other. The Horde side was from the POV of the champions that weren’t part of the military conflict and instead were champions that rallied to defend Zandalar from the Alliance attack.

The third zone/raid had everyone forced to work together before Azshara got bored and drowned everyone. That continued into the fourth raid which was a combination Inception and Nightmare on Elm Street scenario.

Essentially the Warfronts acted as the actual war lore and I believe the Alliance canonically recovered both Darkshore and Arathi. The weak part of the expansion was that there were only two Warfronts so we didn’t actually see much ‘war’.

Legion was the Alliance expansion which was needed. Doesn’t change a thing that the inferior player base is handled poorly in our favor.

She has been a Mary Sue long before that. Otherwise she would have been dead at the end of wrath.

1 Like

Maybe you missed the part I was responding toward?

WoW’s story has always been pretty bad

Literally anyone with the conviction to kill Sylvanas on the spot has been slotted out of the picture.

Can’t have a Horde mass murderer dealing with consequences or just with reality, can we? Kill whoever they want, are able to kill whoever they want, people who want to kill them magically won’t behave in this way, consequences are written out of the picture.

Ugh.

1 Like

IF there is one thing Sylvanas was right about is this:

• Alliance calls to war it suits them.

When they are the aggressors, they call it “justice”.

Jaina was the main reason any horde player lost faith in the writers in BFA. She alone made clear they dont know what they are doing since then, until now.

And for that, you earn the right to a ignore spot.

She and the thousands and thousands of souls in the Maw with a worse fate than hers.

And then find out Sylvanas is 1/4 human 1/4 jailer 1/4 Mechaworgen and 1/4 crick elf

The elf alleles are dominant

Why do people keep saying she was mind controlled? She wasn’t, she made her own choices with her own limited consciousness and soul. It’s closer to Edward Hyde to Henry Jekyll or Toxic Rick to Positive Rick.

These are apt analogies because just like evil and good Sylvanas they aren’t as black and white as they first appear, as the book goes on we later learn that Jekyll could be cruel and Hyde oddly enough could in brief moments be civil. There’s the briefest and slimmest of overlap but it’s there.

2 Likes

I could understand a small part of how soul-shattering works, some memories have been taken and or distorted to the point of someone falling for a lie of a renowned Alliance hero butchering the victim’s family in front of them as a child but when obtaining their soul containing vital memories after a decade commonly result of learning the truth.

But he did not recall seeing his other self yelling at him while committing horrific crimes.

I thought this was mere manipulation, not straightforward mind-control, 9.2’s concept of Soul-Shattering is honestly starting to look like a contradictory plot-hole.

He can’t stop and he won’t stop until he is let go or quits. 10.0, 11.0 and so on are going to be terrible stories as long as he is involved.

3 Likes

Yes, please. Please stop using this term. It has lost all meaning. Just say you don’t like the character and be done with it.

Clearly this 3rd grade level story writing was targeted for players like yourself. Congratulations on blindly accepting a horribly contrived and ridiculous plot, Dan loves people like you!

3 Likes

I mean… there was Garrosh.
Who escaped his trial/sentencing following MoP (and somehow murdered the dragon that helped him escape) and got outright killed in WoD. We now have an entire raid encounter where his soul is being tortured by a minion of the Jailer.

Sylvanas definitely has a lot of poorly written plot armor, but I still wouldn’t consider her a Mary Sue.

It is like the writers have some decent ideas but can’t execute them properly. Tyrande vs. Sylvanas just fell flat considering how pumped up Tyrande was (and appeared to be immediately afterwards) but then the scene just had Tyrande unable to finish the job for no real reason other than the writers didn’t want Sylvanas to die. Having someone take a killing blow for Sylvanas or interrupt the fight entirely would’ve done a lot more for the narrative over Tyrande just suddenly losing the power she spent the entire expansion rampaging with.

Nope. Seeing the actual afterlife proves her remaining on azeroth was a great deal.

This game has many mary sue’s. You’ll get over it.

Redeem Syl from his actions, by force. Make her unimpeachable for every act she’s done since W3. Making excuses for this to happen, through retcons that insult people’s intelligence and are only swallowed up by people like Danuser, who love a deceased elf in a corset.

She won’t be punished for anything she’s been doing because she’s an innocent victim. And this story will only cost the reputation of Tyrande, Elune, Baine, Bolvar and the whole Lich King myth, who are being ridiculed for the poor way they are being treated.

All this to glorify Syl, in an xpac where the great villain behind it all (created from nothing just for that) has no importance because the important thing is to redeem Syl.

I’ve read better fanfics but what to expect from a company that seems incapable of realizing that certain acts are alienating its audience.

I wonder how Danuser would play The Count of Montecristo or Hamlet if he had to put his version of the story into these characters.