Oh, Just One: Danuser, You Have Turned Sylvanas Into a Mary Sue

Title.

I’ll only make this one thread.

Danuser, you have turned Sylvanas into a Mary Sue.

She can do no wrong.

She’s been “mind controlled” by the Jailer this whole time.

She’s utterly evil and then one day, poof, she’s got her good half of her soul back and magically all is well!

Dude.

STAWP.

Hand over the story crayon.

You keep doing this to yourself!

61 Likes

its like you missed the theme of the expansion.

2 Likes

Sylvanas?

Nope, haven’t missed the theme yet.

5 Likes

Ugh. Why doesn’t Blizzard just fire this guy and then sue him for deliberately running their biggest IP into the ground? Him and ion both. I used to think it was because he had blackmail on the CEO, but they’re on the third one now since he started this crap…

45 Likes

So, Blizzard.

When were you going to tell us?

1 Like

Evil Twin wasn’t under Zovaal’s control and only exists because Sylvanas made Arthas that angry at her that he struck Darkness!

No one but Anasterian(who cut off the legs of Arthas’s beloved horse) made Arthas that angry! Furthermore even Anasterian wasn’t raised so his corruption by Darkness into an Evil Twin would have happened in the Afterlife itself rather than in the mortal world which means we wouldn’t be hearing of it as we never got to see his Afterlife.

The Banshee Queen who serves as Sylvanas’s Evil Twin born of Narcissism, Doubt and Despair had as much freedom as Sylvanas herself did though lacked morals even if she was the sort to want to prove her inescapable Despair right rather than admit to there being something wrong with her.

Even Arthas upon becoming a Death Knight and meeting Tichondrius was able to admit that something was wrong with him(despite assuming it was the inevitable reality of those who fall to the Scourge) yet Sylvanas due to her Narcissism was uneasy with the notion.

I’m sure if the Sha of Despair was in the area where she died she would have blamed her Despair on the Sha and thus not need to use Anduin to prove her beliefs that Hope was meaningless.

1 Like

you missed a lot then. sylvanas is not the only character in the shadowlands coming to terms with the circumstances of their life and death. each faction in the shadowlands handles their souls in different ways. sylvanas is the catalyst for adventurers on azeroth learning about this stuff, though. because sylvanas has a fate worse than death.

3 Likes

Last I checked, the Protagonist is supposed to rise above their storied circumstances.

Danuser wants to write Sylvanas as the Protagonist of WoW, he’s going to have to answer for his failures as a writer in this story arc then.

7 Likes

coming from someone who doesnt seem to have even understood the plot, your criticisms ring hollow. additionally, i strongly doubt you could craft a better narrative, seeing as you cant even seem to comprehend the one in front of your face. put your pitchfork away and put on your reading glasses, for once.

1 Like

A story hidden from the player remains hidden when it’s this well buried behind content that said player struggles to find.

Context not provided is on the storyteller, not the player.

So by all means, what pitchfork?

It’s called asking for the story’s writer to convey the Protagonist better than he has thus far.

9 Likes

Must get tiring complaining about every little thing.

2 Likes

My one and only complaint.

Nope, still waiting for substantive effort on Blizzard’s part.

Clearly you don’t know what a Mary Sue is.

And that’s fine.

But please learn what terms mean before you try to use them.

1 Like

The entire cinematic is addressing the fact that she did wrong, just saying.

No, that was her. Another part of her, not mind controlled, just without her sense of morality.

This cinematic was the first good thing that happened to the Sylvanas arc in 4 years.
stay mad

5 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+of+a+mary+sue&sxsrf=AOaemvL1QFdY67PNZpjwQQkGboJeWucIKA%3A1638947163860&source=hp&ei=W1mwYZGDMr-T0PEPtO-lsAQ&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYbBnawvV8mQnNzd_cjTtNv2pQJYFTkHc&ved=0ahUKEwjRnIX80dP0AhW_CTQIHbR3CUYQ4dUDCAg&uact=5&oq=definition+of+a+mary+sue&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAEIAEOgQIIxAnOgUILhCABDoOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQowI6CAgAEIAEELEDOg4ILhCABBCxAxDHARDRAzoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6CAguELEDEIMBOggILhCABBCxAzoHCAAQgAQQCjoHCAAQsQMQCjoHCC4QsQMQCjoECAAQCjoHCC4QgAQQCjoNCC4QsQMQxwEQ0QMQCjoKCAAQgAQQRhD5AToICAAQFhAKEB46BggAEBYQHlAAWOs5YKo-aAhwAHgAgAGEAYgBwxeSAQQyNC44mAEAoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+shadowlands+slyvanas+a+mary+sue&sxsrf=AOaemvKA-SXl4M9ZEAl_4IBRVfg3hchyhA%3A1638947174905&ei=ZlmwYZjLNs-FwbkPs4q4kAw&ved=0ahUKEwiYlqmB0tP0AhXPQjABHTMFDsIQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=is+shadowlands+slyvanas+a+mary+sue&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBwghEAoQqwIyBwghEAoQqwI6BwgAEEcQsAM6BAgjECc6BQgAEJECOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQowI6BQgAEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoLCC4QgAQQxwEQowI6BAgAEEM6CAgAELEDEIMBOggILhCABBCxAzoICC4QsQMQgwE6CAgAEIAEEMkDOgsIABCABBCxAxDJAzoFCAAQkgM6BQguEIAEOgYIABAWEB46BQgAEIYDOgUIIRCgAToFCCEQqwI6BwghEAoQoAE6CgghEBYQChAdEB46CAghEBYQHRAeSgQIQRgASgQIRhgAUKYMWORaYLZcaA1wAngAgAHEAYgB4BySAQUxNS4xOZgBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

Sylvanas is a female. She is perfect, can do no wrong, any mistakes she made are getting swept under the rug, and she’s beloved by the writers despite having many other characters they could write some of the narrative weight onto instead.

So, if you still wanna claim I don’t know what a Mary Sue is, and that Sylvanas is not one?

That’s on you.

I’m just saying that Danuser is not conveying Sylvanas’ story arc well, let alone doing a good job given that he’s just convinced me said Sylvanas is the Protagonist of WoW now.

9 Likes

Except she’s not perfect, since she’s failed to accomplish her goals multiple times, she’s done plenty wrong, as multiple characters within the game universe have clearly pointed out (along with the players) and no mistakes of hers are getting swept under the rug (as the latest cinematic shows quite clearly).

And there’s no evidence that she’s favoured by one more more writers above any other character either.

Try again.

5 Likes

A mary sue can be a male character too. Historically it originated from an old trope that came from a fictitious character named Mary Sue. But these days it’s used to represent a character absent of flaws.

In this case, we’re talking about a character that is almost entirely made up of flaws and bad choices. So I have to say, your use of the term is applied quite liberally, akin to millennials who use the term “literally” to describe the exact opposite.

Hate her if you must, but Thrall would be a more poignant example.

1 Like

Solo’ed the second Lich King, broke his helm, and opened the door into the shadowlands.

Burned Teldrassil.

Told the Horde they were nothing and got away scott free and still with fans to boot…

Sylvanas and Nathanos together did more to the entirety of the game than Tyrande and Malfurion because the writers don’t rate Alliance players nor faction leaders as worth anything, so that’s what happened.

Danuser has a hard on for Sylvanas and has yet to write a relatable story for her to me since all this “story” just seems to be “What did Sylvanas do today?” while not investing me as a player into said Protagonist’s narrative.

13 Likes

Afrasiabi was in charge of the writing up to the Cinematic for Shadowlands first seen at Blizzcon when it was announced. He was fired after that Blizzcon.

Afrasiabi outright states he is a Fan of Sylvanas while Danuser made no such statement.

1 Like

Marty Stu. I know that.

Yes, and Blizzard seems to hamfist all of their characters, Thrall, Jaina, Vol’jin, etc.

Even Sylvanas’ losses are somehow portrayed as character growth and thus turned into victories.

I hate her with a passion because the writers don’t seem to know what they are doing with her.

I don’t really care if I’m wrong. I just want Danuser to actually TRY And put in some real effort into this game to respect the people who came before and to show that he cares about what he has inherited.

If that’s too much to ask for then Blizzard will light its own funeral pyre and point at the fans to blame us.

So be it.

These hacks don’t know what they have been handed, what they inherited and by all means, let them keep killing the best potential MMO out there, because by all means, they keep trying to do worse than before and it makes no sense to me.

1 Like