Oh, Just One: Danuser, You Have Turned Sylvanas Into a Mary Sue

guy’s still running around in tier 10 and she needed the soul ash

the most unpopular thing in the game

she QQ’ed for getting got by warrior duel

1 Like

Finally, some real perspective.

I still don’t see this ship righting itself in time unless they are prepared to actually make drastic changes and actually try for once with 10.0.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

Too bad Blizzard doesn’t ever seem willing to admit to that line of thinking.

The dual souls is a story device so they can be all like there was a bad and a good version of the character all the bad things was done by the bad soul but they were really good all along they just didn’t have their good soul. Which many people find this kind of lame.

5 Likes

Okay? That’s not her doing everything right, that’s not issues of hers getting swept under the rug. That’s her displaying power, which last I checked isn’t a crime in fiction. Hell, Jaina lifted an entire ship from the depths of the sea, had that ship fly and destroy the walls of Lordaeron City to allow the Alliance to invade and later summoned an ice storm which destroyed an entire Horde fleet that was pursuing her…

A woman using power isn’t a crime.

This was not done by her, she ordered the Horde to burn the tree. She did not fire a single arrow or throw a single torch to aid in the burning.

Okay? Again, that’s not an issue. Had she got away and kept the Horde 100% loyal to her that would be a different story, but that didn’t happen. She managed to hold on to a few loyalists. That’s it.

Keep trying.

The irony of this makes me giggle.

1 Like

Orders come from somewhere.

It just seems like Shadowlands is swinging for the fences at every single issue and not even designing nor setting up any ideas that are then made to be delivered upon in game.

People playing the game without finding it fun won’t know to look nor see the buried and hidden nuggets and story. I knowingly tried to look, if it’s that well buried then it might as well not be there.

That point is moot.
I’m a loyalist, and I can confirm that it was her call. The methodology behind how the act was carried out is not important. What’s important is the fact that the act itself was carried out.

4 Likes

No, it’s not.

In order for Sylvanas to be a Mary Sue, with respect to that point, she’d have had to burn the tree down herself. Not order an entire army to burn the tree for her.

Giving orders to an army doesn’t make a character a mary/gary stu.

This is why talking to this person is never worth the effort.

Next time you are tempted to reply to them, remember this nonsense, and then don’t.

6 Likes

Neither does committing genocide against a defenseless civilization. The thing you’re describing is inherently unrelated.

A mary sue is a catch-all subject loosely defined by a common trend. It’s not just “being overpowered” or “being likeable”. It’s how the character itself is represented within the framework of the story.

4 Likes

You can better understand simply by paying 30$ when her book comes out lol and that my friends is how they get you

3 Likes

Okay.

Let’s try this then.

If it was Afriasbi or whatever this whole time, then why hasn’t Danuser posted himself stating as such?

Oh, one customer doesn’t rate a Blizzard Developer’s attention.

And yet people wonder why Blizzard is bleeding subscriptions like it’s going out of style.

1 Like

I don’t think you can pin the blame on Afrasiabi. He was shuffled around like a deck of cards.

1 Like

I’m asking why this wasn’t made clear earlier.

The radio silence from Blizzard and the people like Gorg that claim opinions that make others uncomfortable should never be replied to under and circumstances just keeps proving to me why Blizzard is shedding sub’s and losing fans every day now.

They can’t even make the new Mage Tower fun, it’s just more high tuned chores.

And yet I’m at fault for trying to ask Blizzard to just at least once do their best, give the game their all, and try they best, flat out, full stop.

I’m baffled that people seem to think that this game is anywhere near where it could be.

Why do they bury so much of the real lore and content into outside the game content sources, such as books and what not?

Why not make everything out of game be brought into the game?

Oh, wait, that’s right.

That’d take too much effort on Blizzard’s part.

We can’t have that…

People might start to have expectations…

1 Like

At least in the case of Shadows Rising and Before the Storm, there’s actually not that much context in the books. Before the Storm showed the setup for tensions going on in Arathi, and Shadows Rising was just a footnote that talked about the Horde council and some side-quests between Nathanos & what’s-her-face, and Alleria & Turalyon. Reading those books, at least, did not make the story any clearer.

I believe this might be a bundle of smaller issues snowballing into one another. Lack of communication between departments, deciding to take big risks without appropriately weighing the repercussions, blowing their budget on the Saurfang cinematics and leaving very little for Shadowlands, Covid, excessive pride and large ego, the list goes on.

Inspite of the narrative that got us to this point, I think this cinematic is indicative of the first good thing we’ve actually gotten in the last 4 years as far as the elf lady thing goes.

I’m not the person who brought up the point in the first place. Just keep that in mind.

A Mary Sue is not a ‘catch all’ it is a specific character trope, and sometimes it works (like in the animated version of Disney’s Mulan), where as other times it’s absolutely abysmal (like in the the Twilight Saga or Star Wars Episodes 7-9).

A Mary Sue is a character that is portrayed as having no weaknesses, that can do nothing wrong, that succeeds at everything she does regardless of her own skills and rarely, if ever, faces any real penalty or consequence, or if they do face one, it quickly gets swept away by the narrative and is subsequently ignored from that moment forward.

Take Mulan from Disney’s Mulan (the animated version). She steals her father’s armour, poses as a soldier in the Chinese army, is the only person who manages to get the arrow because she’s ‘smart’, becomes a master in combat, both hand to hand and with a weapon, and when she is finally discovered as a woman, rather than getting executed (which should have been her punishment) it’s all swept under the rug, even by the Emperor of China and she gets a happy ending.

She is a Mary Sue in every way, shape and form, but it’s okay in that movie because it’s an animated Disney film, so everyone expects the hero to succeed.

By comparison, let’s look at Rey Palpatine from Star Wars Episodes 7, 8 and 9.

She manages to accomplish multiple things that would have required a lot of training to accomplish, including using the force to mind-trick a stormtrooper, fly the Millenium Falcon like a pro, pilot a skif across rough seas that would have killed anyone else had they tried, fight with a lightsaber and even take down a Sith Lord…

And people hate Rey because none of these things are reasonable. She accomplishes these deeds because the story demands she accomplish them with no attempt to display how she got the training to accomplish these feats.

========

End of the day, you can’t just slap Mary Sue on a character because you don’t like them. That’s not how anything works. Sylvanas may be powerful, but she’s not perfect, she’s not succeeding because the narrative demands she succeed and she’s been dealing with the consequences of her actions for a while now. This is just another chapter in that story that’s coming to a close.

3 Likes

I agree with you there.

Yeah, she’s not a Mary Sue.

She did that stuff. She wasn’t her complete self, but she did it.

It is also pretty clear that she’s probably going to end up stuck with a lot of responsibility as penance for her actions by the end of this assuming they don’t outright have her sacrifice herself like the Night Fae NPC in the Bastion campaign.

In the end, she was just a pawn to entities beyond her. Particularly when you consider the whole thing with Elune in the campaign and how the Night Elves are also treated as pawns (…or fuel) by their goddess.

Sylvanas is actually pretty bad at just about everything she does.
She lost control of her own city to a single Dreadlord (who wasn’t even in disguise) and an Apothecary.
She’s died more than Hakkar.
She constantly loses encounters even while on the player’s side.
She became Warchief because of Muehzela.
She failed to get more Valkyr even after having Helya’s backing.
Her plan to kill Malfurion failed so she attacked Teldrassil out of spite.
She only managed to have the horde destroy Teldrassil because Elune let her (which is hilarious).
She lost her title of Warchief by cheating in a fight and then badmouthing the horde.
Her #1 flunky got offed by Tyrande (who became an Eclipse Hunter or something. Illidan 2.0 there).
She only survived her encounter with Tyrande because Elune withdrew her power at the last second.
She let Anduin get in her head to the point where the only reason she didn’t lose her conviction was faith in the Jailer.
She failed a long encounter against the champions.
She then got revealed to be a total pawn of yet another maniac who wants to kill everyone and failed to even hurt him.
Then she gets revealed to have been an incomplete soul the entire time.

Sylvanas is essentially the biggest loser in WoW. Everything she’s done has been as the minion of a guy who kept a chunk of her soul in a bottle. She’s been spiritually lobotomized and even when mostly evil, required extra lives and an entire faction to get as far as she did. Things she didn’t even earn on her own because the Jailer and his minions were doing all the actual work behind the scenes.

Honestly, I think the biggest issue with the storyline is that the pacing is pretty awful and most of it has occurred behind the scenes. Plus we never really got to see Voljin as a leader so it just felt like two genocidal Horde warchiefs in a row with the the racial leaders just frowning at each atrocity they’re ordered to perform.

Also I thought it was Gary Stu.

3 Likes

2 Likes