Of all the words to use, why twink?

Backronym and not accurate tbh. Used to be predominantly white because the gay scene was dominated by liberated white people at a time. Twinks are basically skinny, young, males (usually lacking in most body hair). And believe me, some of them are kinky @_@

Check out the history and etymology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twink_(gay_slang)

Ya know DnD was published in 74. Maybe these terms do go hand in hand.

There are several possible etymologies for the word. It may not have been derived from a single source, instead evolving from multiple convergent usages. Its exact origin is unclear.

The gay-slang usage of “twink” has been suggested as a likely origin.[1] One of the connotations of this usage is “a young/inexperienced person who can outfit himself fashionably because of financial benefits from an older/experienced sugar daddy.” This parallels MMORPGs, where in-game money is a strong limiting factor in the virtual economy and gear is usually in the form of clothing and jewelry.

The word “twink” appeared in the Ultima Online: Renaissance playguide in the glossary of terms (copyrighted in 2000). It was asserted to have a meaning similar to its current one, but also included powerlevelling.

On the MUD Sojourn , which several creators of EverQuest played, “twink” was alternately used to refer to powerleveling and metagaming. As MUDs date to 1978, this use of the term may possibly predate later uses.

The term twink and twinking predated MMOs and was prevalent in many MUDs. The term came from flags on much of the high-end gear that cause gear to be displayed as (twinkling) . It was not an alternate name for powerleveling, but could be used as a method of powerleveling.

2 Likes

Why is it called a gaggle of geese?

And in that article, under Etymology:

Vewwy intewesting.

Edit: Eh, someone beat me to it.

They coulda just been called level rebels?

1 Like

Oxford says:

informal•offensive

a gay or effeminate man, or a young man regarded as an object of homosexual desire.

It’s literally in reference to a twink. When you twink out a toon, you are giving a low level (“young”) character things they probably do not deserve, or at least have not earned. You are twinking them out. You are essentially the characters sugar daddy.

It was originally used in older rpgs or mmorpgs, such as UO, DAOC & EQ.

Because it’s funny

They actually didn’t, they sold the recipes and stayed afloat

Even if you are right, gay guys weren’t doing much of anything other than pretending to be straight back then. It’s not like their slang terms would be used enough to be the real source of the term in WoW.

Gay people admitting they’re gay out loud a relatively new thing.

2 Likes

Looking up the WHY of words is SUPER interesting :slight_smile:

I went down a rabbit hole one day about why some words were pronounced a certain way whereas others are pronounced another and it’s always because of the history of the word and what language it came from.

1 Like

I absolutely agree!

There are some things people don’t want on their google search history.

Anyways, the first time I’d heard people calling themselves twinks in low level BG brackets I thought it had something to do with the Star Spirit kid from Paper Mario for the N64.

They have been back and available to buy since 2013. They only suspended making them for a few months.

You can now eat delicious Twinkies!

are we trying to reserve the word twink for one purpose only?

learn to share homies :wink:

I’m not offended. I’m having a laugh about it.

That word came along in the early 2000s, when you were allowed to joke about stuff.

Still makes more sense than “toon”.