Of all the words to use, why twink?

Because rare items/shinies/twinkling

Its because of the blue and purples they wore. You know…twinkling in pretty pretty gear.

It doesn’t make much sense but that is where it stems.

That is such a weird reason XD

I know I’m being a tad childish with this topic but I had a rough day and giggling like a 12 year old makes me feel better

It is a weird reason, people are weird, giggle anyway. Giggling is good for you.

1 Like

Nah, just like RL twinks are taken care of by a richer person so are alts in games like this that are taken care of by a richer person.

And RL twinks are young and your alt is low level.

Seems pretty obvious to me :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

The word gay used to exclusively mean “happy” it had nothing to do with homosexuality. Nowadays while gay technically still means happy, 99.999999% of people associate it with homosexuality.

the original meaning of twink is disputed some think it comes from the british slang term from the 1920’s “twank” meaning a client of gay male prostitutes some other people claim its a vulgar riff on twinkies the snack.

I don’t know, far as I known, twinks in real life usually just refers to the pretty boys who are almost effeminate. I’ve known bears who are bought and paid for.

Nah, Rose is just searching for something to be offended by.

Twinking in MMOs comes from Twinking in MUDs, and that term refers to the way armor was displayed.

Christ I haven’t heard the MUD term in years. Stop making me feel old.

2 Likes

I didn’t get that form her post.

I did, from the OP.

Welcome to the club! I used to play MUDs at my local library because my house didn’t even have internet.

I thought she was just curious.
or he.
Or the attack helicopter.
or plate
Or cookie.

Ooph, I remember being excited just to play Solitaire at school during comp class.

I’d believe that if he wasn’t responding to people trying to explain its origin with further insistence that it’s offensive.

Thanks to you I found out what twink stands for lol.

Twink comes from an acronym T.W.I.N.K. "Teenage, White, Into No Kink.

:thinking:

Yes, I routinely “snicker like a dork” when I’m offended by something.

2 Likes

This. Both the usages of the word probably trace their routes back to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie

…Twinkie went out of business and though I did not like Twinkies, it makes me a little sad.

MUDs were gowing out when I was groing up. I grew up playing EQ1 and Bubble Bobble lol.

1 Like