Odds Of Vanilla being free to play?

Because I don’t think your “rebuttal” makes any sense whatsoever lol…

Of course it shouldn’t be free O_o…

Congratulations. You’ve successfully shown a lack of knowledge about where the cost of development and maintenance comes from. There’s a reason companies are going to software as a service. The development still costs, but the more you can drive down the maintenance costs of employing people to manage things, the lower the lions share of the ongoing cost.

Not to mention that they still have to pay developers who keep developing content. Everyone here in dozens of other threads, wants Classic to evolve on new servers. That’s not free either.

Vote with your feet. If you don’t want to pay for Classic, don’t. But don’t expect the Private Servers to exist anywhere but scam-beria, in Russia. You aren’t entitled to free access to Classic, no matter how much you were taught that as a child.

Should I feel personally attacked? SHOULD I?!?

Eeesh - there is so much wrong with your analysis of my argument. I have zero interest in working to help you understand the words that I typed in the order which I typed them.

Go argue with someone else, haha.

Your argument is that it’s cheap to run the servers. My point was that’s only one of the many parts of the cost.

1 Like

fite me irl rn

I see we’ve devolved to “I’m going to take it personally, then attempt to divert the conversation with inane comments”. Ah well, I guess that means you accept the point.

1 Like

They could make it free but add a sub option for the ability to transmog. I would pay $15 a month for that.

I don’t. F2P games tend to bring in more hackers, bots, etc. It’s kind of a premium to get the best quality game experience. The price is justified considering them working on classic right now isn’t free. They need to pay the bills to keep the game going and their employees. Could classic be free to play? Sure and I’m sure they could afford it no problem, but they’re plenty within reason to be asking for a sub…which I may add has always been the fee of the game and it really isn’t that much. People like myself on a low income may not end up making it every single month, but choices are made daily. Instead of buying something you really don’t need every day like coffee, candy, snacks, what have you, save for your sub instead. I want a Cadillac CT6, not everyone can afford it, including myself. Welcome to life we won’t always get what we want you know.

lol, I don’t think your friend is that interested in classic m8. It sounds more like he doesn’t want to rather than can’t.

1 Like

I don’t want to play with the F2P crowd. They’re all bad, to a man.

1 Like

I think it should have some cost. I’ve played plenty of free-to-play MMORPG and, almost without fail, the quality of the community is lower. One of the big issues is the throwaway aspect of an account. Get banned for botting? New account. Get banned for gold for cash schemes? New account. Every spammer and scammer can start thousands of free accounts.

Now … I would have preferred a lower cost, separated completely from Retail, but given the way Blizzard is doing this, I guess I understand it. Basically, they’re going to run it on the same hardware/software as Retail, so they’re lumping it with a Retail subscription. Pay for game time, and either log into WOW Classic or Retail - the resource usage will be generally the same.

No, there’s no expansion development, but they’re also not asking anyone to buy a “new game” as an upfront cost in spite of all the dev work to get everything functional. (Retail, by comparison, has both an expansion price and microtransactions up the wazoo to fun ongoing development.)

Some people might be more willing to pay $15 to play both WOW Classic and Retail (up to Legion costs nothing more than the game time). I’ll be happier paying $15 if they eventually release TBC Classic as a separate group of servers.

Ultimately, I look at it as 30 days of game time that I’ll enjoy and compare that to other things I can get for $15. A book I can read in a day or two? Watching a movie once at the theater which is three hours max? Do I value playing WOW Classic enough?

With as much work to be put in and for as many people asking for Blizzard to make a classic server it’s not going to happen. I don’t expect a free game at all, in fact I don’t want it to be free because it will bring in the riffraff. How would the OP like putting in a lot of work and money into a project and having others tell him it should be free?

You should be playing free games then, plenty out there for you. Hard to have sympathy for people with computers and internet and posting on a game forum with a subscription and complaining they are having a hard time surviving.

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about me. Perhaps read it again?

So you are trying to speak on behalf of other people ? Doesn’t sound very reliable.

Listen, if you don’t have sympathy or empathy with more unfortunate souls, that’s fine. And I am not speaking on behalf on anybody. I was just shedding some light on, that not all have those options that some people spurts about.

Not sure, why one would have a beef with that, but whatever rocks your boat.

1 Like

If your friends can’t afford to play WoW at $15 per month, they have more important things to tend to than playing wow.

1 Like

Same here. I preemptively re-subbed and I wish I could tell Blizzard it was in expectation of Classic not for current retail. After launch I assume data mining will tell them the story.

1 Like

The possibility of Vanilla being free to play has never been off the table. Blizzard has talked about it time and time again, but the simple fact is that WoW is making too much money to be put on a free to play model any time soon.

The number of subs or players would have to drop to under half a million (combined between Retail and Classic) for them to even consider it. And even talking the sales of BfA (3.4 million at launch), there’s simply too much money being pocketed for Blizz to consider it at this time.

So, odds of it happening right now are zero, but will increase if the playerbase drops through the floor.

Considering Blizzard said that Classic will be included in the Sub Fee for Current WoW back at Blizzcon last year… the odds of Vanilla being F2P are Zero.

Would it be a form of trolling to simply say, $15/month #nochanges?

I’m fine with the price. Playing a free game doesn’t hook you or raise the bar of importance as paying for it (small cost or not). Also, the work it’s taking to bring back Classic deserves some compensation to Blizz, not as simple as people may have once believed it to be.

I can see them adding further (new) games to this $15 a month cost. Eventually it becomes a Blizz “service” that you have access to with a suite of games. I doubt they will release another MMORPG that wouldn’t be tied to this same $15/month sub. I don’t think Blizz wants to have their games competing for players. One fee for all game access. Kind of similar to Xbox’s Game Pass.