Oceanic Realm Connections for PvP Matchmaking in WoW Classic

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on Oceanic pvp. It will be trading latency for population.

1 Like

BGs are so much more FUN (remember that?) with low latency, that’s a factor that is often forgotten.

Please don’t revert the change entirely for BGs. It’s awesome having faster queues, especially at off peak times, with a wider variety of opponents at the small cost of slightly higher latency (Yes, slightly higher, most people were exaggerating about 200ms+ and half the games were OCE hosted anyway).

Now we get to to go back to playing BG weekends only, or long queues where if it pops at all it’s into the same one or two premades all day. And these premades are generally built to stomp pugs. Alliance will queue 15 into AB, because they don’t want to queue with 10 and risk facing another WSG premade.

The issues I see with instanced PVP can largely be improved by:

1. Keeping BGs merged cross region
  2. Locking or prioritising OCE arena to OCE
  3. Forcing premades to face other premades in BGs

At high rated arena people might prefer to lock it to OCE and wait longer for a match. It won’t matter so much for lower rated games or pugs in BGs, more games for them, and more enjoyable games if they aren’t facing premades.

8 Likes

I don’t deny that it will improve performance. I’m just curious to see how it affects the ability to get a match. People are waiting a long time now for battlegrounds; when you take the rest of the entirety of the NA region out of the pool, surely that will impact on pvp.

Before this change WSG, AB and AV were all active just fine, queues are instant for Alliance, Horde has to wait 15 mins+ because of the ratio. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem, oceanic is more active than you seem to think.

1 Like

Is it possible to still keep any of the cross region functionality for BGs? It has been a god send to be able to queue for ANY bg with reasonable queue time. I have enjoyed it thoroughly.

1 Like

Well done Blizzard

Could be. I suspect it might be a bit more difficult for those people who choose to stay in Classic rather than moving to TBC, but I guess time will tell.

Thanks Blizz glad you swallowed your pride and did what was right by your customer base.

2 Likes

Oh for sure, but that’s another issue entirely… I don’t think any of the classic realms are particularly active.

This is false, there have been more matches due to prepatch but the queues were still 35-40 minutes horde side. And outside prepatch it was a lot worse.

1 Like

Who cares? There are going to be people who don’t play against each other as it is. If it’s an issue then alter the region to suit - make it only encompass OCE players so we don’t need to compromise the latency. Why is it so hard to fix the problem properly.
This paragraph worries me.
Thanks for reverting.

2 Likes

Thank you, resubbed.

No one would. Rewards are % based for titles/mounts and if there is no people in the pool, then the top spots will be insanely hard to get. Also the less players, the less rating inflation, so it’ll be harder to get shoulders/weps etc.

2 Likes

No it wasn’t fine. There was literally 0 bgs outside of WSG unless it was that BGs weekend. The prepatch where everyone is pvping to prep for TBC/gear alts is not indicative on how the BGs were for nearly all of classic.

3 Likes

You are probably right. It will still be quite interesting to see what affect this has on TBC’s pvp for Oceanic. May be a good thing, who knows?

Anyhow, I hope everyone who loves pvp enjoys it in TBC. Arenas will certainly make that part of the game more interesting.

My prediction is in 1-2 months:

• The queues are dead for high rated arena.
  • All you have is rating sitters and/or wintraders for the top spots.
  • There is no BGs going outside of the BG weekend one & the highest hp/h bg outside of weekend.

The people protesting the hardest right now have already quit (like they did in classic) and we have a dead PvP scene and the people remaining are annoyed that they don’t even get to PvP.

Blizz then re-merges us for 2nd season.

8 Likes

Thank you Blizzard for listening to us! I will now be resubbing and telling my friends to come back for low latency arena! 1 step in the right direction Blizzard well done, now just give Oceania our own region with customized rules to scale pvp rewards with the smaller population. Thanks

on the topic of merged BG queues, imagine keeping them merged for below lvl 70 is something we would all welcome. I doubt there have been more than a dozen pre60 bgs on OCE servers in the past 12 months.

1 Like

I would not be at all surprised if you are right.

The blue post did say:

So I guess they will be watching with interest as well…