Oceanic day/night cycle

I can’t believe I am writing this after so many years, but it is frankly ridiculous that oceanic servers still have the US day/night cycle. REALLY blizz, it cannot be that hard to change.

If I understand it correctly the arguments go like this:

• Its immersion breaking to join a x-realm group and have the daylight suddenly change
  • If you don’t like it just use the toy/single-use-item that make it midday

Pretty obvious counter arguments:

• If it is permanently dark when you are playing in your afternoon and the sun is out outside and birds are cheeping away, it really makes you aware of this ridiculous issue. THAT breaks immersion
  • To manage your in-game day/night cycle using items that suddenly make it midday is immersion breaking
  • Grouping x-realm and suddenly being pushing into a different shard, watching people around you phase away and others phase in is immersion breaking

I think if the only issue with fixing this cycle is that when you x-realm group with non-oceanic the time of day that you are experiencing changes, then that’s a rubbish reason to not fix this issue. Occasionally dealing with that abrupt day/night cycle is way less intrusive/immersion breaking than what we have now.

Please for the love of god, this is expansion number 100 (a bit of poetic license there) where we are expected to play in all these beautiful zones in darkness.

11 Likes

Give them light Blizz.

4 Likes

There should be an option for all regions to have the in game day/night cycle sync up with their real life location’s day/night.

4 Likes

It’s been this way for years.

Blizzard have made it obvious they aren’t going to fix it permanently, and instead gave you a band-aid fix by giving you the toy/consumable to make it midday.

1 Like

They need to add an NPC that gives a persistent buff that changes the skybox and lighting to your local time. That way the servers can stay on US day / night for whatever technical reason, so nothing will change for the US players who group with us but cosmetically it will be fixed.

This would be ideal over the jar of sun-warmed sand as it would let us experience all light phases not just midday.

2 Likes

There should be a checkbox in settings to link in-game day/night cycle with your local time. Simplest fix by far, and entirely possible with current tech.

EDIT: And actually, this is something I’d use even as a north american. I started playing on EST servers (so that’s where most of my characters are) but have since moved to PST and the in-game time misalignment is annoying sometimes, even though it’s only 3 hours off.

2 Likes

Most of the skybox altering stuff exists as toys that add a buff your character. I don’t know the engineering time it would take to add it to settings but I’d be happy with chatting with an NPC to get a persistent buff that changed our skybox and lighting to local time. I know they can hotfix buffs and NPC’s.

Honestly I’d take whatever is easiest and cheapest so we can actually get it implemented.

The bronze dragonflight exists, surely one of them could help us out!

I can’t believe you are writing that either. The problem is you wanted to be connected to US servers for groups.