OCE player stop complaining about price changes

They just reduced the sub free for brazilian players. Just go in google and type “brazil wow sub fee reduced”

1 Like

Not really. You’re assuming people will come back, which in business is never a guarantee and actually it requires much more resources for reacquisition of clients than retention.

2 Likes

Maybe, who knows they might have threshold at 10% Drop in OCE sub numbers for about for a certain amount of months

Or it could be 30 - 80%. Who knows and its pointless to speculate until it happens. Either way, my point stands that its a short-sighted business move.

1 Like

It’s only a bad buisness move if people unsub and stay un subbed , if they unsub for a month and come back next month it does nothing

Yup. They even posted it in their Q3 earnings that they saw a record number of pre-sales for Shadowlands ahead of expectations. Of course this was before all the debacles that are going down now.

1 Like

No, its a bad business move because this game has a declining popularity for years. You generally never increase your prices when your product is continually declining in sales.

4 Likes

Shadowlands just showed record sales for any wow expansion. This is a good buisness move for them

so im guessing the OP wouldnt have an issue if the USD price went up 25% right?

he’d suck it up or quit.

5 Likes

Thanks Blizzard employee of the month #1374

2 Likes

Every time I see this stupid argument, I grit my teeth.

It’s never been about people not being able to afford something - merely not being able to justify the expense. A value proposition.

It’s a luxury, nobody’s going to die without it, but everyone has a threshold where that luxury no longer seems ‘worth it’, in their mind.

$20 a month is, personally speaking, teetering very close toward that ‘meh’ line, especially given I have no idea what you actually get from a subscription, aside from access to the servers.

And when said servers have been chugging, if not outright struggling from 15v15 world PvP skirmishes, are they really worth paying 20 simoleons a month for? I could rent my own server for that - a very nice one, too.

I enjoy the game, I’m probably going to continue paying (every now and then), but damn if this doesn’t leave an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

11 Likes

Record PRE sales, in a press release that was loaded with corporate weasel words like “engagement”. They worded all of it in a way to make it SOUND like Wow is more popular than any other time in its history. Read between the lines, though. Whenever you see vague corporate marketing-speak thrown out in supposedly factual statements, pay attention to the exact wording.

13 Likes

As long as the price went up by 25% for everybody worldwide I’d get over it.

1 Like

It had record pre-sales*. That really means nothing for the longevity of the game.

The thing I noticed that sent chills down my spine is an investment in mobile… Sorry to say it folks but it’s clear as it can be to me - the old Blizzard is dead.

3 Likes

I love how the OP thinks telling all the aussies to go eat a bag of diks is the answer to a price rise :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’m from Australia…

In Australia we have the saying “if you don’t like it go home” yet we still have all the people that don’t like our way of life living here? Yet we have accepted them here.
People love this game through thick and thin (much like my GF) but might not like the extra cost or think it’s worth it with all the delays and lack of content (much like my GF :p)

While the choice will likely come down to quiting or paying people can still have a whinge about it… welcome to the new world!

I’m sorry I missed the pre part. Thanks for pointing that out…classic corp talk.

But the point I was trying to make is that if this leads to an increased net profit in short and long term then it’s a good buisness, how the customers feel about it doesn’t matter.

Look at apple and how they make decisions, people still buy their product

1 Like

Ah yes, their comedy launch-party shtick… “we’re all about the environment so we’re removing the charger from the phone box so you can use the existing ones you already have, even though they’re inadequate for fast charging and we supply a cable that won’t work with them, but hey, you can buy the charger from us for only $29 and pretend you helped the environment when in fact you only helped our quarterly profit margins.”

A lot of things that aren’t directly tied to corporate profits can turn out to be a negative for the company. Blizzard (or Activision) raising Wow sub prices by 33% might have been calculated to do better for the balance sheet in the short term - but how will it impact customer perception of the company in the long term? Lose someone from Wow and they likely lose them from the entire “Blizzard-verse” with the parting being bitter and the likelihood of them returning being close to zero.

The deed is done and they’re not going to reverse it, but I think they’ve done irrevocable damage to how they’re perceived as a game publisher with this. And you can just BET they’re salivating at the prospect of hiking the US sub price as well.

2 Likes