[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

The issue then is the game doesn’t run as efficiently since most the performance upgrades they’ve done require DX12. Also you can’t use Ray Tracing unless you’re on DX12.

I’ve reverted to .51 and that has made the flickering gone pretty much everywhere. Bastion still has some flicker in the rocks when you are using a FP but its not as noticeable/dramatic than on the newer driver.

It’s been over 2 weeks (nearly 3) since we’ve seen an official response here, they have ignored twitter questions about this as well… This issue is over a month old.

Do we have any ETA on when we can update our drivers without the game going crazy again?

tried the new drivers that nvidia released today 461.09 still flicker

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. Saved me having to do it myself and rolling back.

1 Like

Reddit thread maintainer chiming in again with new info.

Blizzard has reproduced the texture flickering issue and has forwarded to Nvidia for a future driver fix : nvidia (reddit.com)

• GeForce Driver 461.09
  • WoW Retail 9.0.2.36949

I’ve recorded a more informative video that is ~1 minute in length, no ads, no talking, no fluff. Just ~30 seconds of the issue, ~10 seconds of the WoW graphics setting screen, ~10 seconds of the advanced settings screen, and then adjusting the shadows quality setting to show its impact on the issue.

(video is being processed and will be up momentarily in SD, HD to follow)
https://youtu.be/8QjGQvxdoJc

Per Pidge2K, an Nvidia employee, they are asking that those impacted by this issue please fill out the form at the Reddit thread (I apparently cannot link the form here).

3 Likes

can confirm 461.09 still flickers

5 Likes

Man, I tried DX11 and it felt rough. Ended up just rolling back to the 457 driver and will chill for now :\ Guess it’s okay since I am holding off for a year to play Cyberpunk, so that 460 driver isnt needed

What I am downloading right now and installing hope it works.

Edit - I installed the 461.09 drivers…loaded up the game and put it back to Direct 12 and finding no flickering now…seems for my video card these new drivers are working fine…I have shadows at lowest point …never liked shadows. I have the Nvidia Geoforce GTX 1660 Super 6gig card.

You’re going to remove WoW and your subscription because of an NVidia problem? That’s childish. There are many reasons to unsubscribe if you aren’t enjoying the game, but this is a driver issue. Revert to the previous drivers (457.51) until better drivers are released and you will be fine.

3 Likes

Well the 461.09 drivers didn’t work, yesterday there was no flickering with Direct X12 on but today there is…so I had to drop down too Direct 11 Legacy…so what do I do now…

Your only real choice is to revert to the 457.51 drivers until NVidia and Blizzard work out the issue. .51 has virtually no flickering, i see it a little with rocks using a FP in Bastion but its better than any other driver.

A status update from Blizzard would be nice, its been 3 weeks now since we’ve had any blue response.

I have found if you go to system > advanced > triple buffering and toggle that enable/disable it resolved the flickering for me for the rest of my time in any particular zone. Still get the DX12 goodness, just have to toggle that one setting.

Example zone into Bastion and it’s flickering, go to above setting change it from enable to disable zone is fine remainder of play. Move to the Maw, zone will flicker, I will now go back in and change it from disable to enable and the zone will remain playable until I move to a new zone.

Hope that helps and potentially explains what the hell this is as it’s frustrating. Oh and I also updated to 461.09 last night and it’s still doing it and this workaround still works.

1 Like

Think it’s a DX12 issue. Got this ever since SL no matter the driver. Ardenweld is the worst. Triple buffering on and off usually fixes it but it just comes back later.

I’m on 460.97 / Ryzen 7 5800X / RTX 3080 MSI Gaming X Trio

Asking as I’m curious. When you toggle triple buffering to you toggle it on then off or do you toggle it from on to off and leave it?

In my example if I enter Bastion, and my triple buffering was enabled when I entered the zone I flip it to disabled and leave it there for the remainder of my time in that zone. If I were to flip it back to enabled (again this is as an example) I would almost immediately get the flickering again.

To fix it, while I’m running DX12 all I do is flip it from whatever state it is currently in for whatever zone I enter to the other. Do not flip it back, flip it one time and for me at least the zone is good.

So, I too am having this issue, using latest release drivers. Changing graphic settings, setting at 4 seems to stop any flickering, yet changing each setting one by one to the 4 setting doesn’t seem to do anything, so must a combination of things. I am still set at the 7 setting, but I noticed changing my AA from MSAA 8x to MSAA 2x drastically lowered the flickering.

Had this problem after updating my Nvidia drivers. Firstly disabled triple buffering and this seemed to fix the problem. But noticed the flicker was still there on some objects. Lowered shadow quality to low and it has seemed to fix it for now.

Update: Nope this didnt fix the problem but has made it less obtrusive.

I just updated my rig from a Threadripper 1950X to a Ryzen 5800X. Both builds were using the EVGA 3080 FTW3. I was not experiencing the flicker on the Threadripper/3080 combo. After the upgrade I started experiencing the flicker. I have tried the below but am still seeing the flicker:

Updated to latest driver, tried the last 4 driver releases as well.
Turned off Ray Tracing/Changing Ray Tracing level
Changing shadow level to low
Enable AA/Disable AA
Lowering graphic settings
Changing to DX11
Toggling Triple Buffering

Each one of those items has had some impact to the flickering, but none have come close to removing it entirely. The zones I seem to have the most issues are The Maw and Maldraxxus.

I get the same issues unless I toggle to DX11, but I get rubber-banding jutter with particle effects on DX11, so it is quite annoying. DX12 fixes any jutter, but then I have to deal with the texture flickering which did not happen when the expansion released.

I also think it’s a Windows 10 update to the DX12 drivers IMO because there are other issues in older games I didn’t have before the last two Windows updates. I am waiting until next month when they release a new update to windows, and new drivers for my Nvidia card. I don’t think it’s WoW because there hasn’t been a major patch since I played when there was no texture problems, and that was before the new Windows build and the last two Nvidia drivers. Either way it’s a waiting game while we submit bug reports.

1 Like

So i found a solution which works for me and i have been able to reproduce it each time. If you go to Settings, Advanced, and Click on the graphics card drop down box and select it. Hit apply and the texture flickering will stop.

However I have to repeat this step each time i launch the game.

Hope it helps…

1 Like

This actually started for me before Shadowlands when we were still in BFA. No matter what I change in settings it still happens. I have updated Windows and Nvidia drivers. Running Ryzen 7 3700X, 32gigs ram, and EVGA 1080 SC.
I took a 7 second clip of it. https://youtu.be/u_azCyoBndw