Nobody wants spell batching

Yes - if I send a message to another person in my battlenet account while playing classic WoW and they are on another server, there is about a 1-2 second delay.

Spell batching is the single worst decision made by the classic team, and it isnt remotely close. I don’t understand why so many things were changed while spell batching with such a huge window was somehow so important to keep.

We have items that were not around during this time, like rhok delar

We have loot trading

We have right click report

We have layering and different population limits per server

We have a different macro system

But somehow the game needed to be laggy, because we couldnt change THAT? You cant make a nochanges, skill, or any solid argument for this spell batching crap.

And anyone who says this adds more skill in pvp is flat out wrong. Not only is it random and unpredictable, but who it benefits varies by class. If I scatter you first, and I still get sheeped, blinded, or hit with practically anything, Ive just been screwed due to the short duration of scatter. There is no skill in taking advantage of that, you just have to be lucky that the spell batching gave you enough of a window to ignore the fact that I reacted in time to negate your ability.

And no, sprinting at a mage while spamming gouge, hoping that spell batching will help it land as the mage blinks, does not take skill.

7 Likes

Also, broadband wasnt as rare back then as people like to pretend. Yeah, about 1/3 of your average households had it, but we are talking about nerdy mmorpg players here.

I was 21 when the game released, and I had cable internet. It was the first thing I did after getting my apartment. Unless someone has specific data on wow players, using stats that include aunt martha down the road who doesnt know how to use email isnt going to give an accurate picture of who olayed the game.

1 Like

Thank you for your post, OP. Batching is fricking terrible. Please remove this completely unnecessary and artificial delay.

6 Likes

Have video evidence just from tonight:

take damage 9 frames after entering Ice Block. also potions bug and after LIP’ing my potions go on CD but do not begin ticking down. They are still on CD 3 minutes later (not a UI error, I tried using them). in the same encounter both these happen.

QUALITY PRIVATE SERVER. <3 BATCHING.

3 Likes

Blizzard bring back Lights Hope or Northdale or Nostalrius or something please. thanks

Agreed, please remove this garbage. My main is a healer and NOTHING is more infuriating than getting a heal off on your target with 1% health only to see them die. I know I’m not a terrible healer, but it kills my confidence when I make a good play like that only for it to be ruined.

I love spell batching.

Pop elemental mastery. Cast chain lightning. Mash earth shock whilst chain lightning is casting. Get guaranteed no-mana crits on both spells.

Don’t touch my burst.

Farming furbolgs in Felwood, they have a curse they cast on you. Sometimes they clearly get the cast off, but no curse. Other times they don’t get the cast off because they die first, but you get the curse.

It’s like it’s completely random. No, wait, maybe it’s in the game because they wanted to inject more RNG. No, that couldn’t be it… Or could it?

1 Like

Off topic:

If people don’t think like a First-Person shooter, I think they will be happier. Your twitch factor isn’t going to help a lot in this game.

Wow, (excluding the spell batching part), was never made to be an online FPS. It is, first most, a RPG MMO. It has a lot more players in an instance. And lets not forget about all the creatures running around. The number of things happening far exceed those found on online FPS.

We’re not asking for it to be a twitch-shooter we just want it to work the same as it did in vanilla. No one is asking for upgrades, lol.

1 Like

I don’t like the annoyances that come with lower quality spell batching like vanilla had, and Classic has. (Can’t say ‘no one wants spell batching’ when it’s literally still in retail, just a much higher quality)

But I distinctly remember playing my warlock and trying to fear another warlock before he feared me just to have us both running around mindlessly. It always made me mad. It always made me laugh too. Same when I played my rogue and I’d sap an opposing rogue the same time he’d sap me. These random occurrences were always funny.

Now in Classic the more noticeable effects of the current spell batching are annoying, sure. But every time I see 2 mages dueling and they both sheep each other at the same time I laugh pretty hard.

If blizzard held a vote to replace spell batching with the current retail version, id vote to keep it the way it is. So don’t say ‘no body wants this.’ Or ‘everyone wants it removed.’ When you clearly don’t speak for every player.

So lets keep the game broken entirely so this guy can laugh at a stupid sheep.

5 Likes

This isn’t true of all classes…and especially not in PvP.

2 Likes

Good thing they used the new client with a faux spell batching system right? Who would have thought using a derived system rather than using the original one would have caused problems?

2 Likes

Lessons learned from Shovel Knight: trying to recreate the exact minutiae of games from the past is often less compelling than playing the game as we remember them.

I don’t remember the spell batching being this bad either. I also know that human memory is pretty unreliable and if I went back 15 years I’m not so sure I’d be correct.

I’m happy to operate with the assumption that spell batching used to work as this approximation does now. I’m also more than happy to let this particular thing go so that the game matches the way I think it felt to play instead of the way it actually felt.

Batching should go. I don’t want to be in debt to the tech problems of yesteryear. Classic, for all of its faults and merits, speaks for itself without the addition of artificial bad weather.

Along in the same post, I stated that WOW’s engine was built as an RPG MMO. It includes the “Random Number God” on casts and resists. Furthermore, with the number of elements active (npc, spells, players) in game, there is bound to be timing issues; in which, things are not going to happen as expected: Such as the mage throwing up an ice block and still being hit.

Instead of focusing on these inconsistencies; just realize that is going to happen.

Welcome to healing in Vanilla.

This was a common complaint back then, seen it myself a million times. It’s something you more or less learned how to play around or learned to understand that once the player you were healing got to a certain point that it was a 50/50 crap shoot as to whether or not they would actually make it. That even went for instant cast heals like LoH.

Really of all of the complaints I’ve read in these it is the one that I can say without a doubt happened in Vanilla because it was something I and others dealt with. In fact, I’m pretty sure it was the example given when they finally explained some of the oddities that people saw and why the changes in batching would make things better.

If you were healing in Vanilla you could not wait til the last second to try and squeeze a heal in, and this exact reason is why.

Actually people asked for it. Thats why its there…

I have a video somewhere of me landing a NS/Max healing touch, seeing the animation go off on the tank but him not healing which resulted in him getting killed by the boss.

I’m no expert, but in my opinion if you actually see the animation land on a player it’s safe to say that player was healed in time

1 Like